2018 renegade Latitude - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-07-2021, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
oldred95
1995 ZJ 

2018 renegade Latitude

Never have had serious issues since getting my ride in 2018. Was curious though,has anyone checked the fluid level on the sealed tranny? I had a focus in the past and don’t wanna think about tranny problems. Summer time I have seen the temp go up to 170 tops! Also,is there any way to go with a tranny cooler?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-07-2021, 05:22 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
At 170 you don not have any issue with the ATF getting to Hot. That is at about 200 at 200 you need to do something or it lowers the life of the oil after 220 its cooking. You can over cool a trans as well. These sealed as it is. I think most it is possible to add a dip. other wise it is more tool measured from below and then that level is at a temp reading. Its not like the old days. They tend to be rather picky on that level so the reason to gauge by temp. If it is not leaking and is working well, leave it alone. They dont even need a service for filter in what 100k, if it dont last that long it was made with the issue anyway and doing much will do zip anyway.

If you tow and see that temp get over 200, need rethink the cooling system. They do make some very good coolers and they tend to be expensive if you want one that really can do the job. Most sold unless its a stacked plate type are junk. if its got tubes it flows to much before it has a chance . Stacked plates that area is like 1/8 passage more contact. way more plates then any tube type. they are not cheap.

In my truck that is not a jeep i tow 10k and run a aftermarket stacked plate cooler. In the summer here that is well over 110 and even pulling grades of 6% in overdrive i may see low 170s maintain say about 65 70. Normal for it is 150/160 out temp and after cooler tends to be 10 15 cooler, i have two places to check on mine at its live on the dash. That truck is even on 35s and weighs like 4 tons.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-06-2021, 01:47 PM
Andreeas1978
2015 BU Renegade 

2015 renegade Trailhawk. I've changed my fluid at aprox 90 000km. Bought a special Dip stick from Amazon as it measures level regarding to the temperature.. mine never gets over 80 Celsius, usually stays on 74 all the time, managed to raise it to 85 when I forgot it static in Drive with parking brake on for a few minutes, really stupid of me!! The thing is you NEED to change the fluid, ZF specifically says that, can't remember the exact intervals(100 000km?) Jeep and Fiat sells the car with "lifetime" Trans fluid. They might expect you to go buy a new one after the said "lifetime".
According to the manual and the special dipstick, I was missing more or less than 2 liters of fluid when I changed it, that's a lot! I think it has apx 6 liters inside but you cannot take it all out. Don't know where the missing went, I have no leaks.. it's easy, you even find videos of how to do it but you need the Dipstick. One drain and one fill plug. And attention, it's not the regular 6HP red fluid as some say, it's a special light green formula, Ravenol 8HP in my case, Mopar 8 or 9, can't remember or ZF 8 or 9 smth.. not the red "6" ones. It's important! All fluids degrade with time. Differential and transfer units need fluid change every 3 years or 60 000km, they both take 1 litter together. Sorry for my metric units, that's how I work and think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in