2017 Renegade Lemon Law Process due to many issues. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 02-16-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
4x4inmyjeep

2017 Renegade Lemon Law Process due to many issues.

Hello Everyone,

I am a long time Jeep owner since day one when I first learned to drive till now, I am 39 so I would say 23 years of owning Jeeps, I have owned Wranglers, cherokees a patriot and now a Renegade. I have had great experiences with my Jeeps and I only ever had minor issues with them. Now I am in a bit of a situation so hold on tight as I explain everything thus far with my Renegade.

I bought a 2017 Jeep Renegade on July 1st 2017 and right away I noticed a weird transmission issue where the transmission would jump forward when coming to a stop, it would take about 1-3 seconds to respond when pressing the gas and the transmission would slam if I slowed down in traffic then applied the throttle without coming to a complete stop, I also noted when shifting in reverse the whole Jeep would shake.
I found it weird when going through a drive through and driving slow I would hear a clicking noise coming from the front wheel. Sometimes when I press the key fob to lock the doors the horn would make a loud long beep and the doors lock and sometimes it would make a short beep and not lock.

I called the dealer and expressed my concerns and they said it was not normal and to bring it in. Well I work a lot and drive a lot so I didn't bring it in until Oct and had 9,000 miles. I had to finally bring it in because I came to a stop at a cross walk and the jeep jumped forward and hit someone walking in the cross walk, it was more of a tap so they were not hurt. I was driving home on the freeway and in front of me was a couch and I was not able to switch lanes and accelerate because with the delay I would have been rear ended so I slammed on the breaks and slid into the couch and lucky for me no damage was done, I called 911 and told them about hitting the couch on the freeway.

I took the Jeep in and stated the transmission issues along with the locking issues and the clicking noise. They gave it back stating they did a quick learn on the tranny and its fine and operating as designed, they could not replicate the clicking noise and with the lock issue they found a unrelated update but then they said the concern matches a concern in the TSB. I went to leave the dealer and heard the clicking, I had the shop Forman ride with me and he verified the clicking and said bring it another time. I had a rental Jeep Renegade while mine was in the shop and the it had 0 issues that mine had, I decided to test drive other Jeep Renegades and I think I drove 11 and none of them had the same issues. Im confused with Jeep and the dealers theory because if my Renegade having all these issues is operating as designed then that means the 12 total Renegades I drove are all defective.

I then took the Jeep back Nov 13th at 11,855 miles with the transmission issues, and the clicking issues. This time the FCA Tech just happened to be there, they verified the clicking and applied a insulator to the cap on the wheel. The Tech said when slowing down then applying the throttle it is normal for there to be a harsh shift and for it to slam, they also said if I press too hard when trying to accelerate the car will hesitate and have a delay. They also flashed the TCM and PCM and said everything is operating as designed.

I took the jeep back on Jan 2nd 2018 at 15,205 miles with the concerns with the transmission and the clicking in the wheel, their response is the transmission is operating as designed and they could not replicate the clicking even though I hear it.

I took the Jeep in for the fourth time on Jan 18th 2018 with 16,120 miles for the clicking in the wheel and the transmission issues, the Jeep also now has a weird vibrating rattling noise coming from the passenger front side of the Jeep, their response was we already told you there is nothing wrong with the transmission or the wheel. They said I could not leave it for service until I was firm with them that they needed to look at it. They returned it to me stating its operating as designed. They also said they drove my Renegade on a Bumpy road and drove a Cherokee on the same road and they sounded the same, but why not compare it to a Renegade?

So after the first repair I called Jeep to get them involved and they assigned me someone to assist me, they said because of the accidents they were sending me to a buyback dept, when they called it said Impartial services group, I spoke to that dept and the rep had me drop the vehicle off at the dealer and he called the dealer and verified all the info and said there is nothing we can do the vehicle is operating as designed. I filed a complaint on this rep because he would say something and 2 mins later said he never said it and he was very unprofessional. I was then one month later escalated to ECS and the guy there was great he said he wanted to help get it repaired and I said great I would love a new transmission so I dropped the car off at the dealer and this is when the FCA Tech looked at the car and said its fine, I got a call from the ECS rep who said the Renegade is operating as designed so they would not be able to do anything and he would close my case, he mentioned that the Renegade has quirks and I would have to deal with the issues and he did mention if needed I should get a lawyer.

I then took it to the dealer again and called Jeep to escalate it because the dealer said I am an ECS client and they can't touch the car without there ok. I got a call the next day from Impartial Services and it was the same Rep I filed the complaint against and this time he said he wanted to help me do a buyback or replacement, well couple weeks later he said my case doesn't warrant a buy back or replacement and that he is closing the case. I reached out to Jeep cares about 35 times on twitter with a response finally on the 35th try and they sent me a direct message and said I already have a case worker and I need to deal with him, well he closed the case so I received no help at all. Not one time did anyone offer to help me replace the transmission or spend more time to figure out whats wrong.

I am very frustrated with this whole ordeal, the dealer finally admitted the Jeep is defective and said they can't do anything until FCA releases a software update or a TSB on fixing it, they said they have to state its operating as designed. The dealer said I should get an attorney. I called about 9 attorneys and they all said they would take the case and I have to say I was shocked to have so many say I have a strong case. I finally hired an attorney and they sent the Demand letter to FCA about 3 days ago so I guess I am waiting about a month or two to find out what is going to happen.

Im not sure what will take place, I added 7700.00 in negative equity and when I bought the Jeep they threw in a 5,000 rebate and I paid 1500.00 cash out of pocket and they added 1200.00 to the loan. I know with MSRP and tax and fees it equals more than I currently owe, so will I walk away owing nothing or will they take the rebate back and now say I owe almost 7700 in cash before they can take it back? I know I would get the down payment back and the payments I made minus the usage fee but what do they do with a negative equity situation, does anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-04-2018, 11:20 PM
torrocks

Wow, crazy stuff. I am researching jeep right now. For the 2017 renegade, because there is some major good deals going on. But jesus, all these transmission issue is scaring the hell out of me. I hope all is well with you. As for me, will continue to research.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-05-2018, 12:09 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i would never buy another F/C product ever again. Doing the same thing over again expecting a different result is a sign of insanity. the only saving grace for the heep is that its now a dedicated off road vehicle as all my jeeps were anyway. if it was any other vehicle i would have dropped it like its hot. I have vehicles that are from 18-50 years old that never had as many fails as the 2012 jeep. major ones. head went out at 20k. airbag failures that caused injury and no accident involved . electrical issues. one day i will strip this thing down and dump the can bus and the computer. do a fuse box and a LS stand alone. Or if the thing out last my need for a off road vehicle ill just were it down on the rocks until its dust..... if i need another off road vehicle it will be a buggy.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-05-2018, 06:54 PM
Kurd
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4inmyjeep View Post
Im not sure what will take place, I added 7700.00 in negative equity and when I bought the Jeep they threw in a 5,000 rebate and I paid 1500.00 cash out of pocket and they added 1200.00 to the loan. I know with MSRP and tax and fees it equals more than I currently owe, so will I walk away owing nothing or will they take the rebate back and now say I owe almost 7700 in cash before they can take it back? I know I would get the down payment back and the payments I made minus the usage fee but what do they do with a negative equity situation, does anyone know?
That rebate is basically lowering the price, so that's not part of your "negative equity." The only negative equity you'd have is the $1,200 added to the loan. Your $1,500 cash acts like a down-payment, so that's not negative either.

For comparison, when you buy some other product on sale, and need to return it, they don't make you make up the difference between sale price and MSRP. I'd be shocked if this didn't work the same way. I can't believe there would be any result that would require you to pay back a rebate.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 PM
sway1963
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How about a update on your situation?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in