Is the 2.4L MulitAir normally a bit of an oil eater? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 03-21-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
wolf_7669
2016 WK 

Is the 2.4L MulitAir normally a bit of an oil eater?

We bought the wife a brand new left over 2017 Compass Latitude. As we've owned it, I've noticed it seems to be consuming a bit of oil. Enough so that I've had to add oil between oil changes. It's not burning the oil as far as I can tell and it's not leaking oil either, my guess is it's loosing it thru the breather/PCV tube.

I wanted to run this by you guys to see if this is normal for the 2.4L motor, or perhaps normal for the first 10K miles during break in, etc. Or is this completely unusual?

I'd say I'm having to add a quart at about 1500 - 2000 miles after an oil change.

Thanks in advance for any advice and insight you can give me.

Current: 2016 WK2 Overland 5.7L, 2017 MP Compass Latitude
Previous: '99 WJ Limited 4.7L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-22-2018, 03:50 AM
mrsig

2007 JK Wrangler 

The 2.4l in our last BU never lost one drop of oil in almost 3 years we had it.
Our new BU Trailhawk with the 2.4l only has 200 miles on it so I guess time will tell.

07 JKU To see mods & my Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #3 of 29 Old 03-25-2018, 10:47 AM
Scott56
2017 BU Renegade 

Coincidentally, I was just about to post my oil problem.

I have a 2017 Renegade Limited with the 2.4 engine, and about 17k miles. In January, it starting to behave strangely. It shut off a couple of times. Then the oil pressure light came on. When I checked, the oil was down below any marks on the stick. I was out of oil! I had to add 3 quarts just to get back above Low.

I immediately took it to the dealer. They did a new oil change, and couldn't find any leaks or burning. Since the previous oil change had been done elsewhere, they said that the place probably used the wrong oil.

That was 2000 miles ago. I checked this morning, and I was down a quart (it was full after the last oil change). So it is really going through a quart every couple of thousand miles, and that's why I ran out between oil changes.

So if anyone figures out where the oil is going, let us know. It's ridiculous for a new engine to be doing this. Was there any lasting damage to the engine from letting it get so low?

Thank you, and if you have this engine, go right outside and check the oil. (Costco sells 0W-20 cheap.)

post #4 of 29 Old 03-25-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
wolf_7669
2016 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott56 View Post
Coincidentally, I was just about to post my oil problem.

I have a 2017 Renegade Limited with the 2.4 engine, and about 17k miles. In January, it starting to behave strangely. It shut off a couple of times. Then the oil pressure light came on. When I checked, the oil was down below any marks on the stick. I was out of oil! I had to add 3 quarts just to get back above Low.

I immediately took it to the dealer. They did a new oil change, and couldn't find any leaks or burning. Since the previous oil change had been done elsewhere, they said that the place probably used the wrong oil.

That was 2000 miles ago. I checked this morning, and I was down a quart (it was full after the last oil change). So it is really going through a quart every couple of thousand miles, and that's why I ran out between oil changes.

So if anyone figures out where the oil is going, let us know. It's ridiculous for a new engine to be doing this. Was there any lasting damage to the engine from letting it get so low?

Thank you, and if you have this engine, go right outside and check the oil. (Costco sells 0W-20 cheap.)

So that's at least 2 of us with a 2017 2.4l motor losing oil at the same rate. Since I don't see any obvious signs of burning or leaking, my current theory is a faulty PCV valve. There may have been a bad batch of them in 2017. Haven't had a chance to check it out myself or talk to the dealer about it, but will post when I do.

post #5 of 29 Old 03-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Scott56
2017 BU Renegade 

I found this thread on another forum. For that Cherokee engine, they considered 1Qt per 2000 miles to be the threshold for doing an oil consumption test. Below that is "normal".

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-j...tion-2-4l.html

There's also a reference to this Consumer Reports article. We're not the only ones with excessive oil consumption.
post #6 of 29 Old 03-28-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
wolf_7669
2016 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott56 View Post
I found this thread on another forum. For that Cherokee engine, they considered 1Qt per 2000 miles to be the threshold for doing an oil consumption test. Below that is "normal".

http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-j...tion-2-4l.html

There's also a reference to this Consumer Reports article. We're not the only ones with excessive oil consumption.
Interesting read. Seems fairly common, especially in the 2017 model year. Looks like some got lucky and the consumption reduced to an acceptable level after hitting 10 - 15K miles.

Here's to hoping the 2.4L just takes longer to break in.

post #7 of 29 Old 04-01-2018, 10:50 PM
zaitcev
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm a little confused about a couple of things here.

#1. The 2.4L is not a MultiAir engine, is it now? The main feature of MultiAir is the hydraulic activation of valves, which allows the computer to adjust valve timing on the fly. The control is accomplished by solenoid-actuated blow-off valves (when they are closed, the oil pressure drives the valve to open). But when BU just came out, they put the old 2.4L TigerShark engine into it, derived from old Mitsubishi engines IIRC. For those well-known engines to leak oil, you need some kind of defective component... which is what?

#2. If the PCV valve is defective, how can it increase the oil consumption? If it's stuck open, well, nothing much happens - the car is fuel injected and in any case it's vacuum in the intake. If it's stuck closed, well, ventilation is absent, so various funny things can happen - like oil being pushed out of the dipstick... But this is not happening either, is it?

I still think it's something other than the PCV. Maybe oil-scrubbing rings aren't sitting right, and the motor burns oil, just not enough to damage the downstream O2 sensors or the cat, and/or throw a code.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-03-2018, 06:43 PM
Kurd
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
#1. The 2.4L is not a MultiAir engine, is it now?
At least in the 2017s, it is a MultiAir engine. Says so right on the cover, which I saw when I popped the hood this weekend to add a quart of oil to the car I've only had for seven weeks and 1600 miles.

I'm not sure if/when they changed anything with the engines.
post #9 of 29 Old 04-04-2018, 10:43 AM
Scott56
2017 BU Renegade 

My sticker says Multi Air. For all its fancy technology, the car gets crappy mileage. I get between 19.5 and 21 in local driving (with hills), and I can get a little above 29 on the highway. But I don't drive on the highway a lot, so I'm stuck at 21 mpg.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
wolf_7669
2016 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
I'm a little confused about a couple of things here.

#1. The 2.4L is not a MultiAir engine, is it now? The main feature of MultiAir is the hydraulic activation of valves, which allows the computer to adjust valve timing on the fly. The control is accomplished by solenoid-actuated blow-off valves (when they are closed, the oil pressure drives the valve to open). But when BU just came out, they put the old 2.4L TigerShark engine into it, derived from old Mitsubishi engines IIRC. For those well-known engines to leak oil, you need some kind of defective component... which is what?

#2. If the PCV valve is defective, how can it increase the oil consumption? If it's stuck open, well, nothing much happens - the car is fuel injected and in any case it's vacuum in the intake. If it's stuck closed, well, ventilation is absent, so various funny things can happen - like oil being pushed out of the dipstick... But this is not happening either, is it?

I still think it's something other than the PCV. Maybe oil-scrubbing rings aren't sitting right, and the motor burns oil, just not enough to damage the downstream O2 sensors or the cat, and/or throw a code.
I believe in 2017 is when they switched from the TigerShark to the MultiAir engine in the Renegade and the Compass.

As for the PCV valve, if stuck open, it allows the air intake to freely draw in crankcase air which has lots of vaporized oil in it. Normally the PCV valve limits this by only being open in certain conditions so oil lost via PCV valve is minimal. I can't speak for the MultiAir motor, but on the old 4.7 PowerTech motors that were in the WJ Grand Cherokee, a stuck/bad PCV could let the motor eat up to a quart every 500 miles in extreme cases.
zaitcev likes this.

post #11 of 29 Old 06-10-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
wolf_7669
2016 WK 

Thought I'd post an update for you guys. The wife's Compass now has 9k miles on it and the oil consumption appears to have stopped. It's only used a 1/2 quart of oil since the last oil change which was 3k miles ago. So at least in my case, the motor just took longer than normal to fully break in.
Murphy dog likes this.

post #12 of 29 Old 10-13-2018, 08:10 PM
jacko15
2014 WK 

My "new model" Compass Latitude, with the 2.4L engine is also losing oil. We have 5,000 miles on it, and had the oil changed by the dealer at 3,000 miles. Now, with only 2,000 miles since the oil change, it's down a quart. I can't find any leaks, oil on the floor or in the engine compartment. In 50 years of owning vehicles, I have never encountered anything like this. Have any of you with this problem had any reasonable explanation from your dealer? I'll be talking to mine soon.

Mine: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V/6
ORA II
Hers: 2017 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
post #13 of 29 Old 12-16-2018, 01:50 AM
shb

I was at a family Xmas party last week and my wife's uncle is a service manager at a jeep dealership. He told me that they lose a qt every 1,000 miles. FCA has no clue what to do about it and the dealership just tells you to add oil. So after that i looked at mine which has about 5,000 mikes on it and it needed a qt. I got an oil change this monday. So ill check when i do 1,000 after it and see.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
jacko15 likes this.
post #14 of 29 Old 12-16-2018, 10:40 AM
jacko15
2014 WK 

Update: I've been keeping an eye, and a log, on my oil usage. Seems to be about a quart every 2,000 miles. Other than that, our Compass has been bullet proof. Since it's my wife's daily driver, and she doesn't put high mileage on it, I'll just keep an eye on it. I will discuss this with our dealer, but it looks like I'll just keep a couple of quarts in the garage and add as necessary. I don't anticipate FCA doing much about this, as that is their normal operating procedure. Other than the oil usage, we love our Compass, so this is something we'll just learn to live with.

Mine: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V/6
ORA II
Hers: 2017 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
post #15 of 29 Old 12-24-2018, 07:58 PM
jmanjeot

2017 BU Renegade 

Garage
no, just purchased one 2017 trailhawk) and no oil burning as of yet. almost 10k miles now.;

JManjeot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in