Service 4WD System - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-29-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
gaak

Service 4WD System

2009 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L 106K miles.
Service 4WD System message
Both N23 and P73 had been completed
Dealership initially told me no codes found. They are now telling me code is saying Internal Clutch in the Transfer Case and want $2800.00.
I am throwing a flag on the play. Thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Bill123

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaak View Post
2009 Grand Cherokee, 4.7L 106K miles.
Service 4WD System message
Both N23 and P73 had been completed
Dealership initially told me no codes found. They are now telling me code is saying Internal Clutch in the Transfer Case and want $2800.00.
I am throwing a flag on the play. Thoughts.
You can try to push it, but you may not get much traction given the number of miles. The powertrain warranty has expired, so you don't have that going for you. Auto transmissions are funny creatures. You can maintain them perfectly, but they can still crap out on you without any notice. Keep pushing the dealer and hopefully they will at least agree to something.

2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Lift
305/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT2
Fuel Lethal Wheels
post #3 of 4 Old 11-01-2016, 10:26 AM
Penguin_Jeep
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill123 View Post
You can try to push it, but you may not get much traction given the number of miles. The powertrain warranty has expired, so you don't have that going for you. Auto transmissions are funny creatures. You can maintain them perfectly, but they can still crap out on you without any notice. Keep pushing the dealer and hopefully they will at least agree to something.
My CRD has thrown this message up on and off for years. Pull the FCDM Fuse out, start the engine and move for a 50 yards. Clicking through the drive modes.
Mine has not had the N23 or P73 recall done and is a UK model.
This is a software issue as it only occurs typically when it's been shut off for a few minutes then restarted and moved.
Otherwise it tries to lock the centre diff, which you can push through and it will then throw up abs warning and brake warning too.
Ive got a feeling it's bad earth connections personally causing the software to read as bad signals.

post #4 of 4 Old 12-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Perkinsv1

I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 78,000 miles. N23 was done in 2013 and I was unable to engage 4-WD low. I took it in to get P73 done 01/2016 and every since then my "service 4-WD" indicator light has been popping up with greater frequency. and still no 4-WD low. Starting in September, my car started to shift into 4-WD low when I turn at very low speeds (i.e. parking) without me prompting it to do so. Codes C1438 and C140F are active. One dealership recommended I replace the transfer case motor for $700 and another said I needed to replace the entire transfer case because the clutches are worn for $3,000.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in