N23 Recall Issue? No 4-Low! ********SURVEY******* - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: Has the N23 recall been successful on your vehicle?
Yes, the recall was performed without issue. I have shifted into 4x4 Low multiple times. 38 8.94%
Yes, the recall was performed but I had to have the actuator replaced. FREE OF CHARGE 28 6.59%
Yes, the recall was performed but I had to have the actuator replaced. PAID FOR REPAIR 11 2.59%
No, the recall was performed and my service 4wd light is on. 231 54.35%
I will not be getting the recall performed due to the problems. 117 27.53%
Voters: 425. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #196 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Scottso699

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoke View Post
I think what could be happening is that the FDCM is supplying power to the actuator on a continuous basis rather than just turning on the actuator when a shift is required. When you take it out of 4Lo the actuator does the shift but remains powered on in the 4Hi position until it eventually builds up enough heat to burn out the electric motor or solenoid or whatever it is.

Probably works when it leaves the dealer and for a few days but eventually burns out.

Jeff
Hi Jeff - That could possibly be true if I couldn't magically bring my actuator back to life by clearing two codes. Every time it stops working (several times now) - I hook up my Flashpaq and find that C140F and C1405 have returned - I clear them - Presto! I have 4wheel low and neutral again.

It's not your actuators guys. It's the computer. The computer has been fed bad software by incompetent techs. They don't read or follow the recall instructions. Then they try and rob you of $700. Spend $300 and get a Superchips Flashpaq.

Scott
2006 WK Overland, OME HD Springs F&R, Bilstein 4600 Struts, 1.5" Rear Spacer, 265/70/r17 BFGs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #197 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 AM
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottso699 View Post
Hi Jeff - That could possibly be true if I couldn't magically bring my actuator back to life by clearing two codes. Every time it stops working (several times now) - I hook up my Flashpaq and find that C140F and C1405 have returned - I clear them - Presto! I have 4wheel low and neutral again.

It's not your actuators guys. It's the computer. The computer has been fed bad software by incompetent techs. They don't read or follow the recall instructions. Then they try and rob you of $700. Spend $300 and get a Superchips Flashpaq.
I was just at the dealer yesterday and talked to the tech who worked on my Jeep. He said the actuator was testing dead in which case clearing codes is not going to work. I might try Superchips if I hadn't already sunk big bucks into the GDE programmer. It is good but does not communicate with the FDCM.

Diesel Ecotune-DPF, 32" tires, 2" lift. 4xGuard bib, tow hooks
post #198 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Scottso699

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoke View Post
I was just at the dealer yesterday and talked to the tech who worked on my Jeep. He said the actuator was testing dead in which case clearing codes is not going to work. I might try Superchips if I hadn't already sunk big bucks into the GDE programmer. It is good but does not communicate with the FDCM.
It just seems a bit fishy to me that all of a sudden your actuator is now dead... yet you did nothing. At this point I'd want to know what their test procedure is! I am very cynical only because my dealer's service manager is complete a$$ clown. I doubt he would even have the technical know how to remove a tire. They tried to tell me mine was dead too. I hung up the phone - called Jeep - they called him and THEY said he was... well nicely put... not a good person. We are cattle to these guys and when they get one that bucks the system they get hostile. "I'm not wrong!" "I could Never be....." "My Techs are perfect people who never make mistakes and were born in a magic Jeep tech fairy land where the dealer is always right and the customer is always wrong" Pine Belt Jeep on Rt 88 in Lakewood, NJ. His Name is Jack and apparently he is god's gift to the service department. If any one wants to see the son of god head on over there.

Ok I am done ranting. For now.

Scott
2006 WK Overland, OME HD Springs F&R, Bilstein 4600 Struts, 1.5" Rear Spacer, 265/70/r17 BFGs

post #199 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 10:04 AM
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Scott Ive had issues with their tech dept too. Like when I asked them to do the MDS software update which smooths out the activation of MDS on the highway while my XK was there for a small warranty job. ... I even GAVE him the TSB number that states the software update solves issues with feeling a thump/thud in the drivetrain on the highway.

When I picked up my jeep and read the receipt you know what it said?
"Customer complained about rough ride. Customer installed aftermarket shocks and offroad tires which are causing the rough ride"

Worst service department ive ever dealt with (and as a tech ive dealt with a lot of dealerships)

Edit: its ashame too because the sales guys there are pretty good. Ive purchased two jeeps there but that interaction with the service dept will likely result in me going elsewhere.

-Matt
post #200 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 01:40 PM
BJMOLD
2010 WK 

Well I am off to my Jeep dealer now with a letter of demand.200klm round trip. Fix it and another ongoing warranty problem within 14 days or further legal advice will be sought.Why dont CF just admit they have a huge problem and get on with a permanant fix.
post #201 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 01:57 PM
kreso
2010 WK 

Very simple answer: great majority of users never used 4wd. They don't even know how to engage 4x4 and 4lo. So CF thinks "everything is OK". More owner have to complain or we will not receive any solution or re-flash

2004 WG 2.7CRD(with my son now), 2010 WK 3.0CRD(my present)
post #202 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 05:10 PM
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Well hopefully at least everyone on this forum has registered a complaint with Chrysler Customer Service. Jeep is Chrysler's most profitable division and I am sure if the big bosses knew what was going on heads would roll. It would be suicide for them to intentionally destroy the good will of their best customers.

Hang on pardners. I am going to try and go above Customer Service and refer them back to our forum here so they can get some idea of what is actually going on. It is a shame it has gone on this long and we deserve an apology.

Last edited by oldsmoke; 01-15-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: too much wine
post #203 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 PM
JF97
2010 WK 

I had this problem after the recall. They fixed mine for absolutely free though, so I'm not mad at all.
post #204 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 05:24 PM
MikeJeep09

I have been sitting back waiting for something good to come of this. after reading a few posts that said they called Chrysler I figured I would call again and yet again but Chrysler said there is no such problem and they never heard of one. I even called several dealers and got the same response. 45 thousand dollar vehicle that was made useless by a recall and Chrysler could care less. The new overlands are closer to 55, will my next vehicle be an overland?
post #205 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 PM
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF97 View Post
I had this problem after the recall. They fixed mine for absolutely free though, so I'm not mad at all.
Yes, but how long ago did they fix your Jeep and have you attempted to engage 4Lo recently?

post #206 of 527 Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 PM
BJMOLD
2010 WK 

Hi Guys
Just got back from my dealer,actuator now due 20th Jan..!!I asked him what if low range still does not work.I dont know he replied.I then handed over my letter of demand, fix it in 14 days or legal action will commence.
I am thinking of collating info from owners world wide (who have this problem )to my spare email address eg send Full Name.Vehicle type.last eight digits of VIN no.Country.Then I would forward total lists to CF USA,Australia .UK etc.What are your thoughts.?
post #207 of 527 Old 01-16-2014, 01:13 AM
suzq044
2005 WK 

I am curious about something, our 05 manual says that you can switch into low between 3 and 5 mph or something like that, but what we found is you have to be in neutral for it to switch, is this normal/misprint or are we weird?

1964 Jeep Wagoneer Panel Delivery - work in slow progress
2005 Grand Cherokee Laredo QTII 4x4 - stock for now
post #208 of 527 Old 01-16-2014, 02:20 AM
MBDiesel
2015 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzq044 View Post
I am curious about something, our 05 manual says that you can switch into low between 3 and 5 mph or something like that, but what we found is you have to be in neutral for it to switch, is this normal/misprint or are we weird?
Low range gears will have a lesser chance of clashing if the vehicle is moving slightly. Slow down to 3mph, pop the trans in neutral and lift the lever.

2015 WK2 Billet Silver Diesel 4x4, ORA2, ATG
1990 Mercedes-Benz 300D 2.5 Turbo - 155k
post #209 of 527 Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM
hawgripper
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMOLD View Post
Hi Guys
Just got back from my dealer,actuator now due 20th Jan..!!I asked him what if low range still does not work.I dont know he replied.I then handed over my letter of demand, fix it in 14 days or legal action will commence.
I am thinking of collating info from owners world wide (who have this problem )to my spare email address eg send Full Name.Vehicle type.last eight digits of VIN no.Country.Then I would forward total lists to CF USA,Australia .UK etc.What are your thoughts.?
I am up for that, don't really seem to be getting anywhere dealing with the coporate and dealers ,might as well try this.

Where to send it?
post #210 of 527 Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 AM
MikeJeep09

x2 on hawgripper. Maybe some local paper ads. I think someone tried facebook but Chrysler actually helped them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in