N23 / p23 recall issues - transfer case?! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 08-12-2015, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Vista1
2006 XK Commander 

Question N23 / p23 recall issues - transfer case?!

Hoping to find some help here. Have a 2006 Jeep Commander - love it but afraid I'll have to leave it! Had the N23 done in 2013 and had the same problems as others with 4Low - basically non-functional for 2 years. Got the P23 about 6 weeks ago and took it in to the dealership - apparently a mistake?! Leaving dealership dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Drove right back and told "Don't worry about it. Computer will clear itself." Appeared to do that after a couple more stop/starts. On vaca in CO a week later, transmission wouldn't shift into Park or Reverse; AC went out; had to replace engine fan; various error codes showing at different times; intermittent overheat! Called dealership and was told that none of this could NOT be related to the work they did.
"Forgot" to call me back with appt, so called them back and they got me in yesterday (5 days later). They read the codes and gave me the printout as follows: "FDCM; C1405; Stored; Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Circuit High / FDCM: C1406; Stored; Transfer Case Brake Performance / FDCM; C140F; Stored; Transfer Case Range Position Sensor Erratic Performance."
Also showing up: "FCMCGW; B1634; Active; Left Hi Beam Control Circuit High / HVAC; B1604; Active; Right Solar Sensor Circuit Low."
They discounted the last 2 codes as invalid and provided no further explanation, seems odd to me. If these are meaningless, why wouldn't they simply clear them? The dealership indicates that the former 3 codes which appear to relate to the recall issues tell them that the transfer case motor is "bad" and will have to be replaced. However, the transfer case motor is on back-order and they will notify us when it is available to be installed and their estimate for this motor and installation is $450.
It appears that the transfer case and other issues we've experienced/are experiencing are directly related to / caused by the recalls and related work performed by the dealership ICW those recalls and their work on the vehicle.
Anybody have any ideas for pressing the dealership into correcting their work on the P23? Seems that the instructions from FCA are pretty specific and if not done correctly, will cause exactly the sorts of issues we're experiencing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in