Leaky Radiators - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-23-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
mtkaboat

Exclamation Leaky Radiators

We own a 2014 Grand Cherokee 73K mi and a 2015 Cherokee 125k mi. Both have radiator failures--leaks. I know of 3 others in my circle of friends with newer 2017/2018 vehicles. i have never heard of this with any other vehicle mfg.

I believe they are defective and should be replaced at no cost---vs $1000.00

What is your experience?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2019, 09:33 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Good luck with that. Unfortunately, it's fairly common amongst all manufacturers. Aluminum core and fins with a plastic upper and lower tank bonded to the core.

So far, my JK has been fine and my GC is a 2017 with a lifetime maxcare warranty on it. No radiator issue yet. However, the old KJ Liberty had one go. I just did it myself with an aftermarket radiator.

When the JK finally goes, I'll investigate a solid aluminum radiator instead of a hybrid plastic/aluminum one.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-2019, 01:47 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
read up on this sometime ago on the Jks. seems that in the jk they feel its the frame flexing the rad. This from some of the better known aftermarket makers having the same issues. So before you droop 1k on on all alloy one might want to read if it works any better with tank issue.

The jeep ones i read . Fiat claims it was for the Jks a production issue were the makers was over crimping the alloy to the plastic. This caused micro cracking in the plastic tanks that can be very hard to find. My nose can smell it but cant seem to find it as well. dont use much coolant in year. its not a dd. ill wait forthe leak to get bad enough to warrant replacement. Then? well if no one seem to have a handle on if its flex in the mounts might just get the factory one is rather cheep to but< should be too its fecal matter.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-11-2019, 07:56 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
read up on this sometime ago on the Jks. seems that in the jk they feel its the frame flexing the rad.

If it where mine i contact the dealer and ask if there is a TSB on the issue. If you have to replace a radiator and don't want to go for the solid welded ones get one from https://www.radiator.com/
They have a lifetime warranty and will replace it free if it fails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in