Chrysler Fined Up to $105 Million for Mishandling Recalls - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-26-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
bfrazier

Chrysler Fined Up to $105 Million for Mishandling Recalls

From ABC... July 26, 2015
------------------------------
In the largest civil penalty ever imposed by the agency, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has slapped Fiat Chrysler with a fine of up to $105 million for allegedly mishandling the recalls of more than 11 million potentially defective cars.

"We're sending very sharp signals to the industry that we’re not playing around," Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in an exclusive interview with ABC News. "If you violate the law, if you don’t do recalls properly, you’re going to get called on it."

According to the NHTSA, Chrysler botched nearly two dozen recalls, including those involving Jeeps and Dodges with defective ignition switches, faulty axles, and electrical problems.

Some car owners weren't properly notified of their cars' defects, the government says –- and even when they were, the solutions Chrysler offered weren't always timely or effective.

The company also reportedly refused to share some of its data with the NHTSA, a potential violation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

"This is a very good example of how not to do a recall. How not to do 23 recalls, in fact," Foxx said. "There's no way to defend what Fiat Chrysler was doing."

In addition to a $70 million cash penalty, the NHTSA is also fining Chrysler $20 million to address the recall issues, and warning that if the company doesn’t perform, it could face another $15 million in fines -– bringing potential damages to $105 million.

There's "this feeling that maybe, you know, we can slip here and there and it's just the cost of doing business," Foxx said. "We're slapping folks pretty hard, and the idea is to get them in a position where they’re complying with our rules."

Fiat Chrysler says the company "acknowledges the admissions" in the NHTSA's order and accepts the penalty "with renewed resolve to improve our handling of recalls and re-establish the trust our customers place in us."

As part of the record agreement, the car company has agreed to submit to increased oversight, and may even have to buy back more than half a million vehicles.

"If you don't follow the rules and you try to skirt the rules, we’re going to find you," Foxx said. "And we’re going to make you pay."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-30-2015, 09:46 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

The fine they received is significantly less than the judgement of one related lawsuit. Chrysler ordered to pay $149m for Jeep crash death

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 05-13-2016, 08:07 PM
jwickst
2005 XJ Cherokee 

Does this cover the N23 recall of the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokees??? It is over 2 years now since they did the recall twice and I still have problems where I can not trust in driving my vehicle. What can I do to make Chrysler do the right thing to give me back what used to be a perfect running vehicle??? I can not afford a new vehicle. Thank you!

post #4 of 9 Old 01-29-2018, 09:28 AM
jtthekid1

Where can I find more information about the "Faulty axles" mentioned above? Ours is falling off with no visible sign of impact... and I can't figure out how to contact a knowledgeable Chrysler representative!
post #5 of 9 Old 01-29-2018, 09:35 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

could you post WHAT recalls were mishandled ?

Suspecting if they were dodging responsibility the recall may not be widely known...

A good post for our JEEP CARES member to address

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-29-2018, 02:13 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i been down this road. After the fact i will never buy another Chrysler/Fiat product again ever. Not even if i won a lotto. If not for the fact it is a Jeep and its now a trail jeep i would have dropped it like a hot rock then traded it in. Since none of the issues i had were ever addresses i removed them for safety reasons.

jeep cares tend to NOT touch anything thats hot. they have a legal department for that................they are paid very well.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #7 of 9 Old 02-16-2018, 10:01 AM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Non-recall

Anything about the defective gasoline flow control valve in the 2004-06 TJ that sprays gasoline out of the filler neck and onto the vehicle, ground, and sometimes, the person fueling the vehicle?

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29
post #8 of 9 Old 02-16-2018, 10:13 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Internet View Post
Anything about the defective gasoline flow control valve in the 2004-06 TJ
did you talk to your friendly jeep dealer about TSB 14-001-09 REV. A* ? It is related to filling tanks.

* might have later revisions than A

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-16-2018, 12:34 PM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hi Jtec,
Sure we have all seen that TSB, which excludes Wranglers built before 2007. Several folks have appealed to FCA and their local dealers and some have even filed complaints with the NHSTA, due to the danger of a fire or explosion from the fuel backflow.
I hate to sound like this, but until the son or daughter of someone famous or important is injured because of this problem, it will never be corrected by FCA.

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in