Are you tired of 'drive-by' posts too? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 36 Old 01-19-2019, 11:06 AM
Wabatuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
24 hours later they'll already have signed up on three or four other forums and forgotten all about the one with a waiting period.
I signed up for a few. This one and one other seem to be the best.

Facebook has killed vBB (etc) forums. I used to moderate on a few gun-related bbs, and the instant responses of FB killed the activity on many of them.

I've always felt that the better quality answers are still on BBS like this one.

Regards,
Josh
jbolty and chris87xj like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 Old 01-22-2019, 05:25 PM
farmboy666

Well check out my join date, yea today. I bought a Jeep last month and joined a forum, I thought it was this one and couldn't understand why I couldn't log in. I've got 50 yrs of cars, MC and RV experience but first Jeep so will be reading. Anyway I'm here and promise not to post and leave.
jbolty and chris87xj like this.
post #18 of 36 Old 01-22-2019, 05:42 PM
intheair

Garage
Post should have accurate descriptive title - Not a tease or hook title. So -“ engine knock in 75 AMC 360 bbl. V8 Not “Trouble with my wife’s second love”.

intheair
post #19 of 36 Old 01-22-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheair View Post
Post should have accurate descriptive title - Not a tease or hook title. So -“ engine knock in 75 AMC 360 bbl. V8 Not “Trouble with my wife’s second love”.
Yup, that bugs me too. I also think you can not edit a title after posted. That would be nice.

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 36 Old 01-22-2019, 06:19 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd like to say a lot of the newbies are bots

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #21 of 36 Old 01-22-2019, 06:58 PM
remmons

2015 KL Cherokee 

Garage
I was browsing around when this thread, among others, had popped up in my monthly news feed email, but this one had caught my attention enough to leave a response.

I remember this happening way back when I had first signed up. I would see a new member with his or her first post containing something along the lines of "I just broke down, what is wrong with my Jeep?" I use to think that many of these people were broke down beside the highway or out on a trail and had needed an instant answer.

As someone had stated earlier, and years past, we've moved into the "gotta have it now" mentality. Many times I wish that we were back in the time before internet and computers, a time where one had to either figure it out or be left stranded. But, that's just me, an older guy who was around before chat rooms and forums, and old guy who had to fix things forty miles from town living on a ranch.

Anyway, I just let the one liners go as they are, they're not bothering me any. 😉
97Mule likes this.

Robert.
post #22 of 36 Old 01-22-2019, 09:29 PM
Kbeacom0911
2018 XJ Cherokee 

Hi all,
Fairly new to the forum and really like it. Some of us sign up, research answers for ourselves, and learn new insight from smart and experienced folks like you.

I have also seen a couple of mods I want to do by reading other ideas and threads and completed one because of you-all!

Thank you for taking in the new-bees.
😀
post #23 of 36 Old 01-23-2019, 10:59 AM
Jeepcj27
1981 CJ7 

I understand what Don is saying. I signed up and posted a problem I had with my TJ. I got many responses and took the advice I was given to correct the problem. I have not posted since then but I go to this website often and read many of the threads. Just because someone doesn't post does not mean they are not gaining valuable information from those who do post and those who respond to those posts. I am not a "drive-by" and I wanted the information from my post as soon as I could get it because I was trying to solve a problem. I turned to this website because of the vast experience others could offer and wanted it in "real time". Also I realize that some get upset when a post is started and on a topic that may have already been covered. But some of those posts are years old and I want new information to add to the "old" information from older threads. I don't see anything wrong with that since new people have joined the forum, new products have been introduced, new ideas are available. If someone had a medical problem would you read information from 10 years ago or look for new information. Times change or we would still be using dial phones and dial up modems.
post #24 of 36 Old 01-24-2019, 10:54 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Some people have urgent issues with their daily driver and are seeking immediate help. A 24 hour delay would prevent them from getting help. For that reason I wouldn't make that rule.

Unfortunately, that is the less common case. The vast majority of questions asked on any automotive forum have been answered countless times all over the internet (whether posted by new or old members). Somehow you're going to fix your own car but aren't resourceful enough to use google? I usually just don't respond. It's less annoying so I don't really see it as a problem.

97 TJ sport.
post #25 of 36 Old 01-24-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
JeeperDon

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have a look at post #22 above. It says the member has zero posts, which is not possible when looking at a post. The reply was also posted on the 22nd. You have to be logged in to post. The profile indicates the member has not logged in the past month. I 'reported' it, jokingly as Russian Hackers. Admin checked and said IP was from Orange County CA, but didn't seem to care about the zero and the dates. Odd too. Thoughts?

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #26 of 36 Old 01-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Not so much can't post until tomorrow, but they must click on the search button and view/read at least 10 relevant threads for their search before they can post.
The search function doesn't work on my tablet or phone and pulls up too may non-relvant posts on my computer. If I were new here it would discourage me from using it.

Sometimes the response I have seen here to newbie's questions would drive me away if I were a newbie.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd
post #27 of 36 Old 01-24-2019, 07:42 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
Have a look at post #22 above. It says the member has zero posts, which is not possible when looking at a post. The reply was also posted on the 22nd. You have to be logged in to post. The profile indicates the member has not logged in the past month. I 'reported' it, jokingly as Russian Hackers. Admin checked and said IP was from Orange County CA, but didn't seem to care about the zero and the dates. Odd too. Thoughts?
posts only count up in tech areas

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #28 of 36 Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
JeeperDon

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
posts only count up in tech areas
Ok, so how is the date discrepancy explained? The poster was apparently not logged in to post. I smell a cover up

Web Admin for

post #29 of 36 Old 01-31-2019, 02:41 PM
SecondTJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Overall I find that most forums seem to be a dying breed. When the new people sign up to make one post, just maybe there is a chance they stick around.
Ross likes this.

Current: 2017 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Gone - 1998 TJ Sport, 2000 TJ Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 TJ SE, 1998 XJ Sport
post #30 of 36 Old 01-31-2019, 03:01 PM
EchoWars

1969 C101 

I'm a member of many forms. Hit-&-Run is a fact of forum life, and though annoying, it's something that you just have to tolerate. I'm not convinced that forums are a dying breed, but making it more difficult to post certainly isn't going to solve anything or help in keeping a forum healthy. Grumble about 1-post wonders and move on. More important things to worry about.
chris87xj likes this.

1969 Jeepster Commando V6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in