Are you tired of 'drive-by' posts too? - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
JeeperDon
Think Outside the Catalog

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are you tired of 'drive-by' posts too?

A pet peeve here for me, which applies to other foruii as well, is people registering new to the forum, posting a new thread a minute later (likely in the wrong place), then never showing up again. I don't mean never reply, I mean their profile's 'new on' date and the 'last activity' date are the same weeks later. Meanwhile, regular members are answering the question in good faith, to no avail.

I was thinking what would the impact be here if the rules were 'you can not post on the day you register', meaning the registrant would have to come back at least one more time? Is there any other ideas (other than me to just stop whining )?

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 12:15 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I think the only solution is for people to be thoughtful and considerate of others time, but I don't see that happening soon. Those are the same ones who don't acknowledge when you hold a door for them.

damn kids, get off my lawn.
XJ99 and downs like this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #3 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 12:34 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

I think they expect instant answers - one of us on stand by to replay in live chat type replies.... a secret fix ie replace fuse #7
And to expect a 'FIXED" reply - oh I'am delirious now.

Damn snowflakes.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #4 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 12:38 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
bump
chris87xj likes this.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #5 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 02:27 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I find them annoying as well. Not so much if it's a quick, easy, 1-line answer to a newbie question...but to spend 5-10 mins on a helpful reply, just to never hear another reply from the OP is just frustrating.
I'm sure a lot of them are people who post their question, turn around and google it 10 seconds later, then forget they were ever even here.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 05:11 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
  1. create an account
  2. wait for confirmation email
  3. log in
  4. find correct forum

"what size bolt is this?"

post #7 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 05:35 PM
Murphyfish

I agree with jtec. Instant gratification.

I came in here asking a question 1 person replied to. Even tagged on to someone else’s thread on the same topic that got similar results. Most people want that answer now. They don’t get it immediately, they’re gone. Unfortunate but true.

I agree that this is an instant gratification generation that’s come up now. Also a lot of keyboard warriors.

Me personally, I found this place pretty cool. Learned a lot just going thru threads I have no involvement in. No one can answer all your questions and I’ve gotten a lot of education off of some very short posts.

You’re never going to stop unwanted clientele on forums. They post once and leave, it’s no loss to you anyway. Just take care of those who stay.
post #8 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
JeeperDon

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
bump
So, impatient after an hour of the thread starting?

No one so far thinks my "new registrants can't post until tomorrow" idea has merit?

'93 YJ, '02 GM 4.3V6, SOA, dual ARB's, 8.8+D30(WarnHubs), 4.88s, 35" BFG KM2s, AX15, NP231+4:1+SYE+2LO, York OBA, Warn M8000.
Web Admin for

post #9 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

24 hours later they'll already have signed up on three or four other forums and forgotten all about the one with a waiting period.
jbolty likes this.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #10 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Murphyfish

Sorry Don, but Chris is right.
post #11 of 36 Old 01-16-2019, 09:17 PM
TripLeader

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I hate it too.

By the way, what's the biggest tire size I can run on stock suspension? (Just kidding.)
97Mule likes this.
post #12 of 36 Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
JeeperDon

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I yield. I guess I'll try the 'quit whining' approach, though I'm sure I won't be eager to reply on the 'post count = 1' thread starts.

Web Admin for

post #13 of 36 Old 01-17-2019, 08:48 AM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I moved this one out of the Jeep Builds section yesterday and can't understand why no one has responded yet. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197...tions-4341133/
Yes really I wanted to just delete it, but no point in becoming crusty in old age.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #14 of 36 Old 01-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
No one so far thinks my "new registrants can't post until tomorrow" idea has merit?

Not so much can't post until tomorrow, but they must click on the search button and view/read at least 10 relevant threads for their search before they can post.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #15 of 36 Old 01-18-2019, 07:36 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post

I don't see a problem with that... but looks as if Chris has addressed it.
I honestly don't know why some guys do that? Seems if they are really interested in Jeeps and getting help that they'd stick around and try to be a part of it all? But that's just me I guess?.

And Don, I can whine just as well as you... and you know it... so you do not get all the credit!!!

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in