What shift at work do you prefer? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-04-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
MikieB
Web Wheeler

2015 WK 

What shift at work do you prefer?

I have been at my job for 4 years now and have been on the 3-11 2nd shift since the beginning which I actually like. I have an opportunity to go to 1st shift 7-3 with a schedule of Sunday-Thursday. Right now, I am M-F 3-11. Itís a tough decision, but I am not crazy about working Sunday, or waking up at 6am. I am leaning on staying on 2nd, but this kind of opportunity if rare in my dept. There is no pay difference, so the money is the same. I am single and have no kids. I enjoy sleeping in and running errands in the morning. But at the same time I am trying to think long term. I am not sure if I want to be on 2nd forever. If I do get married or start a family someday the opportunity to change shifts might not be available. I guess I am just looking for advice and I am just curious what shifts you guys prefer at your job and why? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-04-2018, 08:47 AM
ChrisHager
Administrator

2004 WJ 

Garage
I work 8:00-4:30 but for a while, had a second job that was second shift (4:45 - sometime after 9 or 10pm). I have a wife and kidlets, whom I would only see for about a half hour in the morning. Coming home after bedtime and hearing stories about the boys' day and what I missed kind of sucked.

If I were in your situation, especially since I have a family, I would pick first shift. Friday would be a great day to work on the jeep, mow the yard, run errands while businesses are open, etc. Saturday would be family day. Your sleep schedule can be adjusted.

Granted, I'm a morning person and like to work first, then relax. I have had situations where I had the day job off but still had to go to the second shift job. I much disliked waking up and "waiting for work".

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #3 of 25 Old 01-04-2018, 11:14 AM
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Been working swing shift over 20 yrs. First 3p.m.-11p.m. now 2p.m.-12a.m. (4-10's). I do like the 4-10 hr.'s over the 5-8hrs. BTW, at least in the 24hr. gaming industry, Graveyard is the first shift.

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
post #4 of 25 Old 01-12-2018, 05:52 PM
puppybreath
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've been a second shifter since long before I ever had a job. It just fit in my normal every day schedule.
1st and 3rd are best for if you have a family, can usually adjust your schedule to spend time with the family.
My wife loved third because she could come home go to sleep and be awake when the kids got home from school.
I worked it a couple times, but never got enough sleep. I'm the kind that if it's light out I want to be out getting things done.
If you party:
1st shift you're getting tired as the party starts getting fun
2nd shift you arrive when the party is going good
3rd shift you're it's too early in your day to party.
post #5 of 25 Old 01-15-2018, 08:07 PM
TSEJEEPERS

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I work 12 hour shifts. Alternating days off. A 3 day weekend every other weekend. Always 2 days off during the week. It is great!
Enough about me.
Go to days.
You will be amazed how much time you have.
I liked 3 to 11, sucks with a family but at least you sleep during the night.
Hated 11 to 7, but it was best with the family. Sucks trying to sleep during the day. Neighbor cutting the lawn, phone ringing ect. You are always tired. Great beer buz in the morning though.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #6 of 25 Old 01-16-2018, 06:36 AM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlueTJ View Post
I have been at my job for 4 years now and have been on the 3-11 2nd shift since the beginning which I actually like. I have an opportunity to go to 1st shift 7-3 with a schedule of Sunday-Thursday. Right now, I am M-F 3-11. Itís a tough decision, but I am not crazy about working Sunday, or waking up at 6am. I am leaning on staying on 2nd, but this kind of opportunity if rare in my dept. There is no pay difference, so the money is the same. I am single and have no kids. I enjoy sleeping in and running errands in the morning. But at the same time I am trying to think long term. I am not sure if I want to be on 2nd forever. If I do get married or start a family someday the opportunity to change shifts might not be available. I guess I am just looking for advice and I am just curious what shifts you guys prefer at your job and why? Thanks
Couple things:

Working every Sunday would suck IMO. You'd have to curtail all the Saturday night goings on because 6 in the morning comes early.

Being single no kids is THE time to be working 2nd shift.

Thinking long term - are you planning on staying at your current job forever?

~Mike~

WK

XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
post #7 of 25 Old 01-20-2018, 06:15 PM
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am a Systems Administrator. I work from 7am to 330pm, but sometimes 8am to 3pm, or even sometimes 930am to 230-3pm. Sometimes I work till 4pm, and sometimes I work till 3:15pm, then work again at 5pm to 9pm, or even 11pm. On rare occasions I work until 1am. Most on call days I work from 6pm to 8pm, and sometimes 9pm to 10pm or 1am to 3am. usually, I am working at 5am to 6am, then also again at 730am or 8am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard
Vin's so hard core, he drinks the whole jug of STFU and then has a three hour conversation about it.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-21-2018, 06:59 AM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Damn.........hi Vin .......all work and no play........

~Mike~

WK

XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
post #9 of 25 Old 01-21-2018, 08:12 AM
Craggar

I've worked lots of shift work in my earlier years and what I learned from all the I like the off shift the best. But since I can't afford that I'll stick to the 8-4:30 now until I can.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-21-2018, 02:40 PM
wreck76

I was on 7-5 Mon-Thu for the last 12 years. Just changed positions and now have to work 7-330 Mon-Fri. I am really going to miss the three day weekends.

I would stick with what you got for now. Worry about changing it up when it comes to that.

wreck76

'17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
post #11 of 25 Old 01-22-2018, 09:44 AM
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Damn.........hi Vin .......all work and no play........
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard
Vin's so hard core, he drinks the whole jug of STFU and then has a three hour conversation about it.
post #12 of 25 Old 01-29-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
I work 12 hour shifts. Alternating days off. A 3 day weekend every other weekend. Always 2 days off during the week. It is great!
Enough about me.
Go to days.
You will be amazed how much time you have.
I liked 3 to 11, sucks with a family but at least you sleep during the night.
Hated 11 to 7, but it was best with the family. Sucks trying to sleep during the day. Neighbor cutting the lawn, phone ringing ect. You are always tired. Great beer buz in the morning though.
Nurse?

I use to do the 3-11 shift and I liked it a lot. Was about to do errands and go to the gym in the early portion of the day.
I enjoy my days off during the week more then the weekends. So much easier to get things done when no one is around.
Weekends are a mad house everywhere.
puppybreath likes this.
post #13 of 25 Old 01-31-2018, 08:56 PM
TripLeader

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you take the daytime shift and don't like it, I would think someone on the evening shift would be willing to trade with you, right?

That way you could try it, but still have an insurance policy.

Or maybe trading would be against the rules. I dunno...
post #14 of 25 Old 02-01-2018, 02:04 AM
ladytex70
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Iíve been working the vampire shift, 10 pm to 7 am, for almost 6 years and I love it. I work for that evil place called Walmart and 3rd shift is so easy...few customers or managers and itís quieter. I get my Friday and Saturday nights off, since I donít come in until 10 pm on Sunday night I pretty much have a 3 day weekend. The only time itís insane is on what used to be Black Friday..nothing like being front row for the fights that happen over $5 blenders. LOL
post #15 of 25 Old 02-01-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytex70 View Post
Iíve been working the vampire shift, 10 pm to 7 am, for almost 6 years and I love it. I work for that evil place called Walmart and 3rd shift is so easy...few customers or managers and itís quieter. I get my Friday and Saturday nights off, since I donít come in until 10 pm on Sunday night I pretty much have a 3 day weekend. The only time itís insane is on what used to be Black Friday..nothing like being front row for the fights that happen over $5 blenders. LOL
I use to work 11-7 in the hospital for overtime.
It was nice to not deal with management and family members. Plus the bump in pay was nice.
Was tough to adjust cause I do not like to sleep all day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in