Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 314 Old 01-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Well, look at the bright side, you've got more time before you're killed by African warlords.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 314 Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey Everyone,

I've had a challenging few months, and I'm more than overdue to give you all an update.

All the details of what happened and the path forward to Africa are in today's issue of JPFreek Adventure Magazine

I feel extremely lucky to be supported by new friends and family, without their support I don't think I would have found a way forward.

Tons of details in the coming days and weeks,

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
--
Follow:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #33 of 314 Old 03-09-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Phase two of the Africa Jeep build is now complete.

Tons and tons of pictures here: http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-2-complete

Onwards to the final piece, EJS, then Africa.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #34 of 314 Old 03-15-2016, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everyone.

Here's another pic, I really loved this spot, and it's the last night I'll ever ground tent with this Jeep

http://instagram.com/p/BC9qRJOlBJA/

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #35 of 314 Old 03-15-2016, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

I spent a few days in San Diego hanging out with John and the crew at Ursa Minor while the fitted and modified my J30.

Read the whole story here: http://theroadchoseme.com/ursa-minor-j30-pop-up-camper

To say that I'm extremely impressed and happy is a massive understatement.
This top is a complete game changer.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #36 of 314 Old 03-18-2016, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

The Jeep Build is complete, I'm ready for EJS then Africa.

Details include Renogy lightweight solar panels and charge conroller, ARB awning & compressor, new wheels, and some decals.

http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-complete

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #37 of 314 Old 03-18-2016, 05:23 PM
11B-33T

2004 WJ 

Looking good! Reading up on your progress and am impressed with the effort sir.

11B-33T
- 2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD
- 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee SE
- 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
post #38 of 314 Old 03-20-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B-33T View Post
Looking good! Reading up on your progress and am impressed with the effort sir.
Thanks!

I'm having a great time hanging out at EJS, so many unreal rigs getting around

http://instagram.com/p/BDM8t1hFBAK/

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #39 of 314 Old 03-23-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

I ran part of Hells Revenge yesterday, it was unreal.

I went into the Escalator, did trail work with great people from Tread Lightly then turned around and came back out.
I was told my Jeep would have gone right through, doing all the drive arounds obviously.

AEV 2.5", stock Rubicon 32" tires, jeep didn't scrape once.

I'm extremely happy to have gotten the Rubicon now, the crawl speed of low range 1st gear is impressive.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #40 of 314 Old 03-26-2016, 06:25 AM
table

2015 JK Wrangler 

Dan, happy to hear you're moving forward again. Best of luck to you, the Jeep, and Sid!

2015 Anvil JKU | Sahara | Manual | 3.73
RIP: 2000 WJ | Initiated Destruct Sequence One | Code: 11A
post #41 of 314 Old 04-04-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi all,

I had an awesome time at EJS in Moab, it really is a Jeep addicts dream.
I'm in Michigan now, getting closer to the coast to ship the Jeep over the Atlantic.

Living in the Jeep for a few weeks has promoted me to make all kinds of minor tweaks and adjustments for living convenience.

Space has always been at a premium, so I made a cutlery/tool holder on my Trailgator Tailgate Table, so I can leave often-used items there when the table is closed.

Let me know if you would like me to write up a HOW-TO article so you can make your own.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #42 of 314 Old 04-07-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

I spent a lot of time thinking about and researching wheel and tire choice for the trip.

I've written up a piece explaining all my thinking, and what I'm running.

I've also compared the stock Rubicon BFG Mud-Terrain in 255/75r17 to the BFG KO2 All-Terrain in 34x10.5r17

Read the whole article at: http://jpfreek.com/2016/04/07/tire-s...2-all-terrain/

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #43 of 314 Old 04-07-2016, 12:28 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Those tires are long lasting and quiet on the road but are crap in mud and have little grip in rocks.

The only choice is goodyear Kevlar. They have superior traction and it's almost impossible to cut the sidewall. https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ler-mtr-kevlar

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

post #44 of 314 Old 04-07-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
The only choice is goodyear Kevlar. They have superior traction and it's almost impossible to cut the sidewall. http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-mtr-kevlar
Thanks. It was for sure an option I considered.

I spent a long time looking at the Goodyears. The reviews I read said they are much closer to a mud terrain - noisy, hard to balance and fairly soft wearing. I need to get an absolute minimum of 50k miles out of one set.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #45 of 314 Old 04-07-2016, 12:45 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Good luck. The first time you hit a mud hole with those a/t the tread will clog up and they will spin like a ball bearing.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in