Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #301 of 314 Old 05-08-2019, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi Everyone,

After the most insane paperwork run-around and bureaucracy of my life, I managed to drive the Jeep into a 20 foot shipping container and seal the door.

Immediately I felt like I was separated from a good friend, a really strange feeling.

After 999 days, I hopped on a plane, and the Jeep is crossing the mighty North Atlantic.

You can read about the insanity here: http://theroadchoseme.com/africa-ends

I'm still in disbelief that it's over.

More updates to come, including tons of info on costs, what I would do differently, how the Jeep performed, etc. etc.

-Dan
Kev M and chris87xj like this.

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
--
Follow:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 314 Old 05-09-2019, 07:43 PM
Rollin20z

Awesome adventure !!! Actually just got my first jeep, a 99tj a couple weeks ago. Just joined forum a few days ago and came across this thread yesterday. And since then have lightly read thru all 21 pages(sorta read back cover of book) and unbeknownst to me that your adventure ended yesterday. Yeah, read back cover but not last page lol. Seemed like it was an amazing time props to you. Now its time to go back and read the book, all the videos and such. Oh, and your adventure got my first post.
Congratulations on trip well done !!!
post #303 of 314 Old 05-09-2019, 08:39 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for sharing your incredible journey! I've quite enjoyed following along and hate to see it end.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #304 of 314 Old 05-12-2019, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hil All,

The Jeep has arrived in North America, and now I'm on a mission.

I'm presenting, showing the Jeep and speaking on panels at Overland Expo in Flagstaff, AZ next weekend (17th, 18th, 19th May).

I will also be at many other Overland/4x4 shows over the summer, the full list is here: http://theroadchoseme.com/touring-ov...-shows-in-2019

Let me know if there is a show you think I should go to that isn't on the list currently.

Also, after months of work (It started back in Nairobi, Kenya), I have published my coffee table photography book of Africa!
With 77 full color pages containing a double-page spread on every country, info on the Jeep, the expedition and some fun numbers and quirks too. Each country is a blend of people, landscapes, wildlife and daily life – the parts of Africa that I will never forget.
The Jeep and I make the odd appearance too.

It's available now on Amazon!: https://amzn.to/2H93IUH

-Dan
Gawne Jeeping likes this.

--
Follow:
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #305 of 314 Old 05-12-2019, 03:13 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hard to believe it has already been almost 3 years! Congrats!

I just got back from my own extreme adventure... Moab!

And speaking of... maybe plan on being at EJS 2020!? Not sure if that fits your criteria, but any excuse to go to Moab is a good one, IMHO.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #306 of 314 Old 05-14-2019, 11:53 AM
SaharaM
2011 JK Wrangler 

Great, great journey, Dan! Thank you so much for taking me (and the rest of the world) on board with you through this awesome trip. It's hard for me to believe I subscribed to this thread about two and a half years ago, seems like yesterday...
Well done and I am very happy for you to see this huge dream come true.
Take care and, hat off to you Sir!
post #307 of 314 Old 05-16-2019, 06:36 PM
Gawne Jeeping

Garage
Hey Dan, I just want you to know that you're one of my inspirations to get my trip to Deadhorse, Alaska underway. Just me and my Jeep. Leaving Wisconsin and heading north in just a few weeks. Love your travel reports! Keep them coming!
-Matt
post #308 of 314 Old 05-21-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Hard to believe it has already been almost 3 years! Congrats!

I just got back from my own extreme adventure... Moab!

And speaking of... maybe plan on being at EJS 2020!? Not sure if that fits your criteria, but any excuse to go to Moab is a good one, IMHO.

Thanks very much!
Absolutely, current plans include EJS 2020. I was actually aiming to be there this year, but shipping out of Egypt turned into more stupidity than I was expecting - and I was expecting a lot!!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #309 of 314 Old 05-21-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaM View Post
Great, great journey, Dan! Thank you so much for taking me (and the rest of the world) on board with you through this awesome trip. It's hard for me to believe I subscribed to this thread about two and a half years ago, seems like yesterday...
Well done and I am very happy for you to see this huge dream come true.
Take care and, hat off to you Sir!

Thanks very much! Some days the three years feels much shorter, but when I really think about it, I feel like I've crammed 10 years of adventure into those three years!

...stay tuned for the next adventure!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #310 of 314 Old 05-21-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawne Jeeping View Post
Hey Dan, I just want you to know that you're one of my inspirations to get my trip to Deadhorse, Alaska underway. Just me and my Jeep. Leaving Wisconsin and heading north in just a few weeks. Love your travel reports! Keep them coming!
-Matt

That is awesome, thanks for letting me know!
I wish I was back in the Yukon now, you'll be driving right through where I live in Whitehorse.

Quick advice - from Whitehorse go North to Dawson City, then across the top of the world highway.
Before Dawson poke your nose about 60 miles up the Dempster Highway to Tombstone Nat. Park. Even if you just go that far and turn back it's well, well worth it.

In Alaska make sure you get down the Kenai Penninsula - down to Seaward and over to Homer. Stop for some salmon fishing on the russian river - it's epic!

Have fun, I miss the North every day!

-Dan
Gawne Jeeping likes this.

--
Follow:
/

--

post #311 of 314 Old 05-21-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

I imagine everyone has tons of questions about the whole expedition, so I'm doing an "Ask Me Anything" on Reddit.com right now.

Come on over and ask me absolutely anything about the expedition.

It's all on the table - safety, money, health, budget, visas, route, people, animals, the Jeep.

You ask it, I'll answer it.

Go here: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen..._said_i_would/

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #312 of 314 Old 06-08-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

I'm moving around North America displaying the Jeep and giving presentations and talks about what I've done.

This weekend I'm at the Bantam Jeep Heritage Festival in Butler County, Pennsylvania. It's been great to meet so many people that have followed, and even a ton of people that had no idea what Overlanding is, but are stoked to get out there and have adventures.

Last night I took the Jeep into downtown Butler, PA for the "Jeep Invasion" where they shut down the city with a ton of cool Jeeps on display. It was a great night, and the Jeep stood out like a sore thumb with the roof up.

I'm at Bantam all weekend, come on by and say hello!

-Dan
Kev M and Hebs like this.

--
Follow:
/

--

post #313 of 314 Old 06-10-2019, 05:53 AM
Hebs
2017 JK Wrangler 

Good to hear Dan!

Are you still sleeping in the Jeep on your travels?

Stock 2017 Granite Chrystal Metallic JKU
post #314 of 314 Old 06-10-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebs View Post
Good to hear Dan!

Are you still sleeping in the Jeep on your travels?

Of course! The trip continues...

-Dan
Hebs likes this.

--
Follow:
/

--

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in