Two year circumnaviagtion of Africa in my 2007 JKUR - The Road Chose Me - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 299 Old 06-27-2015, 06:00 PM
OverlandZJ
1994 ZJ 

Looking forward to another of your journals Dan, followed the last one with great interest and admiration. I'm sure this will be even better..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 299 Old 07-15-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the kind words!

I read a lot about how easy the Trailgator is to install, so I made a video to demonstrate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YFanXnnGYg

Super easy.

Also, that's my new YouTube Channel, where I'll be posting my around Africa expedition.

-Dan

Around Africa in a Jeep Wrangler JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(previously Alaska->Argentina in a TJ)
--
Follow:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #18 of 299 Old 07-17-2015, 07:57 AM
Drix

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like a blast! Hope you get to have more fun and see more then you could ever expect.

95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918
post #19 of 299 Old 09-02-2015, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey Everyone,

I've been hard at work building my Jeep over the last months.
I'm in the middle of an 8,000 mile road trip before the 80,000 mile road trip of my dreams.

The reasoning and rationale for everything Iíve done, and will do, is now online in the new edition of JPFreek Magazine.
Check it out to understand my madness.

Reg cut the roll bar for me (I was too scared to do it myself)

I put heat and sound insulation in the entire Jeep. Let's see if it keep out those 130F+ days in Africa

I built lightweight cabinets using plastic connectors, aluminum tube and plywood.

The finished product which can be converted into a sleeping platform, including Dometic CFX-35 Fridge - which has been amazing.

Tons more pictures on my site: http://theroadchoseme.com/jeep-build-phase-1-complete

The whole story, pictures and reasoning for it all are in the new edition of JPFreek Magazine

-Dan

P.S. The V6 gas engine is out, and the diesel conversion is well underway!

--
Follow:
/

--

- Everything you need to know to Travel Overland across a country, continent or the world.
post #20 of 299 Old 09-18-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey Everyone,

I'm extremely proud to announce my Jeep and I are entered into SEMA in Vegas from November 3-6.

Massive thanks to AEV and JPFreek.

Also, here's a test-fit of the Mercedes OM606 3.0 turbo diesel in my JK. Tons of work to go, I can't wait to get this thing back on the road!

http://theroadchoseme.com/bound-for-sema

If you are attending SEMA this year, please stop by and say hello.
The Jeep and I will also be at the public event Friday night "Friday Ignited"

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #21 of 299 Old 09-20-2015, 03:39 PM
table

2015 JK Wrangler 

That engine looks like it's right at home in there. Inline 6 too!

2015 Anvil JKU | Sahara | Manual | 3.73
RIP: 2000 WJ | Initiated Destruct Sequence One | Code: 11A
post #22 of 299 Old 09-30-2015, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey All,

The build is progressing, we're pushing hard now to make SEMA.

I installed an AEV Rear Bumper, Tire Carrier and Hi-Lift Mount.

Then I put a Hi Lift Extreme and a set of MAXTRAX on that mount

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #23 of 299 Old 09-30-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by table View Post
That engine looks like it's right at home in there. Inline 6 too!
It sure does. No surprisingly, we had to get creative to find the length for the inline 6.

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #24 of 299 Old 10-06-2015, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi All,

Making lots of progress on the build, the Mercedes Diesel swap is really coming together now.

Length has been as issue - Ron from North West Diesel Offroad moved the radiator forward a little:

Intercooler mounted up front:

3 Inch exhaust all the way from turbo outlet to muffler in the rear:

AutoMeter Sport Comp II gauges are a perfect match the for stock gauges:

I've been working on the engine itself, doing maintenance items like water pump, thermostat, oil pump, etc. etc.

We test-fit the AEV Front Premium Bumper and Warn Zeon 10-S winch

Ron from North West Diesel Offroad has amazing fabrication skills, this project is well beyond my abilities as a backyard mechanic.

Tons more pics, details and story on my site: http://theroadchoseme.com/jk-mercede...rsion-progress

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #25 of 299 Old 10-22-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

The diesel conversion on my Jeep is extremely close to finished.

I put an insulated cover on my Dometic CFX-35 fridge to combat the extremely hot temperatures I expect in Africa

I made it official:

I've built a drinking water tank/pump/filtration setup using a Shurflow 12v pump and a PURA UV1 0.5 micron filter and UV lamp

More details and photos on The Road Chose Me

I can't wait to drive it!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #26 of 299 Old 10-30-2015, 10:13 AM
TexasTJ
No Longer DD

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Awesome setup, looking forward to your travel pictures.

If you can't stand behind our troops feel free to stand in front of them!

May TJ of the Month 2015
post #27 of 299 Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hey everyone,

The Diesel conversion in my Jeep has been an enormous amount of work, unfortunately the Jeep wasn't ready for SEMA.
Maybe I'll make it in sometime the future.

Things are coming together really well, I absolutely can not wait to drive my Jeep.

All the details on the Mercedes Diesel conversion and a ton of new photos are now in today's issue of the FREE JPFreek Adventure Magazine

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

post #28 of 299 Old 01-02-2016, 02:21 PM
elwood8
2011 JK Wrangler 

Very cool! Great website.
Good luck!
My jealousy runs deep.
post #29 of 299 Old 01-03-2016, 05:21 PM
Unlimitedlou

2012 JK Wrangler 

Definitely subbed

2005 Unlimited Rubicon, too much junk to list!-sold
2012 JKU Orange Crush
post #30 of 299 Old 01-12-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Grecy

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hi Everyone,

Here's a curve ball for the plan - the Mercedes Diesel engine sucked leaking diesel and ranaway, revving at 7k for 5-10 seconds. Scary stuff indeed.
We're pretty sure valves met pistons, and the engine is dead.

After all of this, with all of the money and time invested, I've decided to sell the Jeep and cut my losses.

For sale thread here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/.../#post33572810

I'm fighting hard to still get myself and a Jeep Wrangler to Africa.
More to come on that front soon.

Always an adventure, even when unplanned!

-Dan

--
Follow:
/

--

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in