Transmission overheat? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-21-2019, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Transmission overheat?

Sadly this may be the last post I make on the old '11 Crown Vic (320k). So yesterday I heard a quiet hiss coming from the front which turned out to be a very small radiator leak...in the middle of a fin somewhere. Doing errands around town today I kept extra coolant with me and added it as it needed. After filling it up I make a 60 mph trip to a nearby city about 20 miles away. When I get to a stop at the bottom of the off ramp, I hit the gas it it doesn't move. No extra lights on the dash except for the check engine light which was already on for something else. I put it in park and back in drive, tried all the gears but got nothing, not even in reverse. Thinking it might have something to do with my coolant situation I checked it and ended up putting in like 1.5 gal of coolant which is much more than it's taken before. Only thing I can imagine is that the leak got worse on the interstate and I didn't notice it. Did the no coolant issue cause the transmission to overheat somehow? There was a slight burning smell in the cabin so something definitely overheated. The overheat light on the dash never came on (I think I have one?) and the engine ran fine the whole time. I was traveling at 60 mph though so I wonder if that would be enough to cool the engine off while the transmission still overheated?

What in the heck happened and what do I do, besides sell the damn thing.

--
~~_/) ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-21-2019, 05:43 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

what type year vehicle is this?

Gotta ask - did you Check trans fluid?

And I would start checking the codes...don't know till you look.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-21-2019, 06:16 PM
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

2011? 320K / 8 yrs. = 40k per year! That's ALOT of miles per year. Was this some kind of fleet vehicle?

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-22-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays

1996 XJ Cherokee 

It's a 2011 crown vic. Didn't check the trans fluid on the scene there but I will when I try to start it later tonight. I just checked trans fluid last week and it was full so I dunno.

--
~~_/) ~~
post #5 of 10 Old 09-23-2019, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry forgot to say...yes it was first a police then taxi.

Just now got back from trying to get it going for the first time and no success. First I disconnected the battery for a few minutes like someone had suggested. Checked trans fluid and it seemed at a good level, but definitely dark and burnt smelling. The coolant I had put in there before was still in there so the reservoir was full. The front of the engine was caked with white which I'm assuming was caked on and dried coolant.

Started the engine and moved the shift lever through all the gears and that felt normal. Put it in drive and didn't feel anything engage at all. Gave it some gas and something whirred in the trans. The more rpms the louder the sound got. Almost sounded like something rotating...but it seemed to be coming right from the transmission.

I just checked the trans fluid last week and it seemed to look fairly new. What in the world could have happened to cause this?

So what do I do now? Is the trans toast or could I maybe try putting new trans fluid and filter in and see what happens?

--
~~_/) ~~
post #6 of 10 Old 09-23-2019, 06:35 PM
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Police vehicle, probably maintained regularly but severe duty. Taxi, probably not maintained, severe duty. You could try to change the fluid and filter but it probably won't make a difference.
BTW, the NADA guide value for that car in your area is between $1100 and $1700 in fair to good condition (driveable). Not worth IMHO replacing the transmission.

I would rather have a tool I don't need, than need a tool I don't have.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-24-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wow after all this and it turns out to be the rear end. Just got it to my mechanic and he watched the driveshaft when I gave it some gas, in gear, and it turned. So I guess that's where the sound was coming from. Although my trans fluid smells a little, a mechanic who works on these crown vics a lot says the fluid always smells somewhat burned. I'm super easy on this car so I'm not sure why the fluid would smell like that. Newly changed out like 15k miles ago.

--
~~_/) ~~
post #8 of 10 Old 09-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Well, at least used axles for those are a dime a dozen. Much cheaper than doing a tranny.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #9 of 10 Old 09-27-2019, 08:29 AM
Indy

1. Never buy old cop cars.
2. Never buy old taxis.
3. NEVER buy one that's been both.

When you can double a vehicle's value by filing the gas tank is time to let it go.

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-27-2019, 10:48 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
I'm super easy on this car so I'm not sure why the fluid would smell like that. Newly changed out like 15k miles ago.
If all you changed out is the fluid in the pan, then you only got about a quarter of the total transmission fluid.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in