Stupidest thing a mechanic told you... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
CruiserClass
2005 WK 

Stupidest thing a mechanic told you...

With the success of the salesman thread, I thought I'd see what experiences people have had at shops.

My most recent one was taking my Lincoln Towncar in to a shop to have the front suspension checked. When I pulled in to town it was storming really badly, and the it felt like it was wandering. I was three states from home, and heading back the next day. "Service Station USA" in Acworth, GA quoted me $367 for tie rod ends.

Me: 367 for tie rod ends? Are you serious?
Shop Rep: Yes, but that includes a four wheel alignment.
Me: ....Um...I have a solid rear axle. There is nothing to align in the rear.
Mechanic (standing behind shop rep): Uh, yeah, but we still have to hang cameras back there to compensate.
Me: That would still be a two wheel alignment. Take my car off the rack.

Side note: The nearest Lincoln dealership wanted $250 to do it, but I noticed it wasn't wandering any more. It turned out I didn't need tie rod ends at all. That section of road was under construction and had serious grooves in it that I had been tracking, which I hadn't noticed due to the rainstorm. I had my local shop look at it when I got back home and they said it didn't need anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 08:39 PM
olds442

1999 XJ Cherokee 

quoted 900 bucks to change cat on my mini van
quoted 2K to change bearings in my rear axle on jeep

many more but those have been the worst, i dont even know why i ask how much, i never let them do it anyway.

Family Wheelin...
Dad- '08 JK Rubicon- Stock, BB and 33s coming
Sister- '07 FJ Cruiser- Rear locker, BFG A/Ts
VT
post #3 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Marn
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i had a noise, went in, described it, guy said sounds like its probably the caliper dragging, but wanted mt to make the noise happen.

I was then told the thumping noise was from my drivers side u-joint being worn. i paid 300 to have it replaced. the sound came back.

i was then told that it was from my hub being bent, and that it would cost 800 dollars to replace. The guy said he wouldnt bother replacing it because "its a 4 wheel drive and it's just going to happen again" they told me they replaced some pins and sliders on my caliper to fix the noise, and i left.

noise came back. they then checked it one last time, turned my rotors, couldnt find any problems, and then i left. i havent heard the sound yet since they turned the rotor...........

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
----- The Camper Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 08:52 PM
famicom21

the rear window on my moms '01 buick lesabre stopped working, brought it to the dealer to check it out.

500 bucks to replace the window regulator.

she said no way, walked away, and they charged her about 200 just for taking the door panel off and putting it back on.
the part supposidly cost about 200 bucks

my dad fixed it yesterday - found the part for 100 on line.
post #5 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 08:55 PM
mpwal099

1997 XJ Cherokee 

"You need to have your power steering pump/ reservoir drained and filled. Does it even have power steering? I didn't check."

When I die and go to heaven I hope the first thing God says to me is "The bar is right this way."
post #6 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Stocker

A long time ago, I had a fairly quick '65 Corvette. After a couple impromptu drag races in the SoCal desert, the linkage jammed and it was stuck in third. I limped it into a local service station, they checked and told me the whole side of the trans was blown out, said they could look right in and see what's left of the gears. They could put in a new one in a couple days for a ton of money (can't recall how much, too long ago). Oh, they refused to let me look under the car, citing insurance.

I declined, went on my way, and took it to a trusted mechanic the next day. He adjusted & tightened the linkage -- that was the only problem.

1995 5.2 ZJ Sold... but still in the family
Stocker
post #7 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 PM
theirishavenger

Oh, this thread should be good.
post #8 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Gabe

1998 TJ Wrangler 

They've never said anything stupid, but one of them did something stupid. After checking my engine when I went to get my inspection sticker, he let the hood drop from the hood prop on to the grill to latch. SLAM!!! I said "what are you doing? That's not how it latches dumba$$" I showed him how to do it, and he said "Oh, I've never driven one of these"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi22
Holy ****, did someone log onto Mean Fish's account and say something thoughtful?
post #9 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 09:59 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1981 CJ5 

Garage
I told mechanic I need a new exhaust manifold. He says, ok let me make a phone call. About an hour later he comes back to the waiting room to tell me it will cost well over $1000 for parts and labor. I tell him to suck my pee pee and walk off.

Get home, jump on JF, click on banner at the top of the screen, and pay $100 for a new header. $15 later at the base hobby shop, I've got a quiet exhaust system.

Andy, KD8EIA
|
|
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
post #10 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 10:37 PM
JeepinYahoo

1977 CJ5 

"If you had lower gears, your dana35 would not have broken. Lower gears make it stronger."
-Planet Jeep Technician.

'77 CJ-5---'63 Scout 80 FOR SALE---'71 Scout 800B---'78 F-250 Camper Special---'75 Econoline 100
post #11 of 215 Old 01-20-2007, 10:57 PM
flame0086
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My father has a tendency to take problems to the shop and pay them what ever before even inqurieing me.

One time my dad took the jeep to Tune Tech for a nocking noise. Took it to them the first time, they told him "Half the engine blew off." Yep they said "off" I asked my dad "so what? they just JB weld it back together?" He never asked what they did.

So then the noise gets worse and I come back for winter break. While I am in LA my father takes it back to them and they say that "it just a jeep thing"

Now, I am planning on taking it to another mechinic (I checked the rocker arms and push rods, and I didn't know what else to check since I was new to engines). three days later, a rod shot threw my engine. We towed it back to Tune Tech, they inspected it and said their is a whole in your block. I told them "no **** tell me something I don't know." The next day they came back with a $3300 estimate for a new block.

After some arguing, I got it towed back to my house for free.....with the wholy engine.

100 mpg!! Western Washington Univeristy X-Prize Team

Support Search and Rescue
Get Lost
post #12 of 215 Old 01-21-2007, 04:12 AM
KMcNaught
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
While I am in LA my father takes it back to them and they say that "it just a jeep thing"
I got the same crap from the dealr I bought from about my driveshaft ratteling.

I've never had any mechanic say something dumb to me. I've had the fortune of only ever having to deal with honest ones.

If the owner of a Hummer ever threatens to crush your Jeep there is a simple means of escape, just drive off the road.
post #13 of 215 Old 01-21-2007, 05:15 AM
EagerJeeper

I asked my wife to have the oil change place install a new front blinker bulb. They told her they didn't have time because they would have to remove the entire bumper.
post #14 of 215 Old 01-21-2007, 06:03 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

my mechanics are either related to me or are long time family friends and don't bs with me. they know i'm good to do most things, and let me know what needs done and where to get the parts the cheapest when inspection time rolls around and i accidentally missed something going over it previously.

i did take my last car to a monroe for an inspection. the ***** actually squirted wd-40 on my struts to make it look like they were blown so they could get me for the replacement. i informed them that the struts were less than 6 months old, there wasn't any fluid on any suspension part before i drove the car the 1 mile to their service bay, i know what wd-40 smells like and i know what hydraulic oil smells and feels like, and that i wouldn't be paying them for the "work" they did to "inspect" it. after i got it back to my apt i discovered that my fuel return line was torn off at the tank and leaking everywhere. they REALLY heard about that one, in small claims court.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

post #15 of 215 Old 01-21-2007, 07:04 AM
drummerwookie

i had a mechanic tell me that 4.0s werent very good engines, and the 5.2 in the ZJs are horrable...lol...it was when i was looking for my first jeep and i asked our family mechanic about it......how wrong it was..lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in