steering issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-2020, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays

1996 XJ Cherokee 

steering issue

Just now rolling over 100k miles. Been feeling some steering weirdness so I get one front wheel up in the air and push at 3 and 9 and sure enough there's some wobble. Pushing at 12 and 6 gives no play at all.

Although I'll probably be replacing the worn part myself I need some help diagnosing what all might need to be replaced. And since I need an alignment anyway I've made a deal w/ my local Goodyear tire shop to do a pre alignment inspection and identify my bad part(s) so I can replace them before they do the job.

When I drop the car off what specific parts should I ask them to look at? I'm sure tie rod ends but what other kind of worn parts could be causing movement on the 3-9 push test?

--
~~_/) ~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-09-2020, 04:05 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
when it was off the ground a few inches. to test the lower BJ i would use a pry bar under the tire to check for up and down, if so its worn. the upper can be done with the 12 and 6.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-09-2020, 06:52 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

On your XJ, the only alignment is castor and toe. Unless you have adj. upper CA's, then the only adj. is toe. This you can do yourself... no reason to pay a shop IMHO.
Any 'weirdness' in the steering will typically be b/c of lift and/or worn parts. I.E. TRE ends and ball joints as Doc pointed out. I would start there. 100K on the clock and it could be time for new parts replaced anyway. my $.o2

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #4 of 5 Old 04-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Tayban
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in the middle of dealing with the same, for me it ended up being basically everything, tie rods, ball joints. Replaced those it got a bit better but the wheel was cambered out a good inch and a half on the passenger side, the wheel bearing ended up being shot to hell, wheel wobbled every which way and the guys at the tire place refused to take the tire off unless i was getting it taken care of. (that particular problem was from hitting a wall at the end of an icy hill.) So i drove home and took my other car to grab the part, was a super easy fix after the ball joints, all the corrosion had already been broken off. Now I just need to evn it out on the other side and get it aligned, and may have to swap the steering box as well if the steering is still straying.

Basically, TL: DR Check your rods/stabilizer, check your wheel hub (the most likely cause if your wheel is wobbley while jacked), check ball joints, and once those are all good if you still have issues it's probably the box.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-21-2020, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
bradleyheathhays

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Right on thanks for the help guys.

--
~~_/) ~~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in