Seat belts poll - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 07-11-2020, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
skjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Seat belts poll

I know it is a somewhat weird question, but how many of you do /do not use the seat belts on a daily basis? What do you thing about it? Does it really help that much or is it 50/50 - hit or miss?
I do not care about legal/mandatory. The same is for the official "belts save lives" and so on... just like to know the real life safety question

When i was a kid, there were no seatbelts nor child seats on a back seat. When i made my license the seat belts were not mandatory......and i have a serious problem to buckle up. 90% of time i drive with a belt off. No matter whether on or off the road. I buckle up on a highway (sometimes) or on speedway (Autobahn), or when driving faster than 80Mph....I got fined maybe 3x in 20 years for that (mostly i manage to grab the belt before the cops see it or they do not care)
Had a rollover in a JK, no buckle and almost nothing except of a small injury from broken glass. My daughter was buckled and ended with bruised chest, shoulder and neck. Airbags did not fire.

current 2x XJ, 2x JK-U, SJ, M38A1, WJ
gone XJ, TJ, XK, ZJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-12-2020, 12:46 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

A seat belt saved my life, no doubt about it.
Cheap, simple, and easy. I like my butt to stay planted where I set it and don't leave home without one on. Traffic's much heavier and moves faster nowadays than when I was young and nieve. Matters not to me if you wear one, just don't come flying through my windshield if you get ejected.
mukluk likes this.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 Old 07-12-2020, 01:48 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I usually won't even start the engine until after I've first fastened my seatbelt.

The biggest advantage to using your seatbelt in my opinion is it keeps you positioned in your seat despite bumps and lateral G forces, where you can be most effective in controlling your vehicle to prevent or avoid an accident. The added bonus is in the event you do get into an accident, it stops you from becoming a projectile as noted above, as well as keeps you inside the vehicle where you are afforded the most protection against being injured or killed.

There's a video floating around online where a lady was driving a TJ off road without a seatbelt on. Her Jeep started bouncing on an obstacle, which knocker her out of the seat, whereupon she lost control of the Jeep and it careened down the hill. In the end she had to be airlifted out with a broken spine. If she'd been belted in then chances are excellent that she could have stopped the accident from happening in the first place, and even if it had happened anyway, she likely would've come through with nothing more than some bumps and bruises like her passenger who was belted in.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #4 of 29 Old 07-12-2020, 02:36 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
You must not wheel hard enough off road, you would with me. When i first drove as well seat belts were optional. My first jeep had none. I added laps my self . hitting the dash or being ejected its a choice you wont make if motion comes to a halt. The cross over belts used are a bad design, but people are lazy. If they had to strap in a harness it would be to much work. you cant move as well to reach that latte or the phone. ouch it rubs my neck.

Air bags are one of the worst safety device ever conceived. They claim they save life but they add it up like Covid if you were in a crash it worked if you did not die. Fact is they cause secondary injuries that can be serious. Broken bones and facial damage from the bag not the impact. they would have walked away. Passenger can be very serious if you have the wrong part of the body in the wrong place. Notice the "Oh shik bar" if say you had a tight grip on it and the front deployed. Fair well to arms. If say you have you feet on the dash. It goes off your legs try to end up in the rear seat.

My Jk has no air bags i do use harness. Test have shown stock seat belts in a roll over that may be many rolls people still get ejected. Its happened on trails too. they had the belts but they did not hold them in a side roll event that cause enough inertia. where harness that wont happen. I have been around way to many flops and in on the recovery too best to belted in as good as you can.

Funny too back in the old days i ran a z 28 with a real ls7 and a DNC 5 speed. Belts were not a law but if road with me it was. Last thing i need is you ars fly in my seat when i take a hard right. It has happen so its mandatory. Still have the car but now has a ROD 6 speed.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #5 of 29 Old 07-14-2020, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
skjeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

@222Doc I am talking about regular lap/shoulder belt, not 5point harness. In a trail only rig i have shell seats and 5point harness tied to a roll cage and even do wear a helmet sometimes But that is a different story.
The question was meant for a daily commute and forrest overlanding trails, not hard wheeling trial or rockcrawlig.

current 2x XJ, 2x JK-U, SJ, M38A1, WJ
gone XJ, TJ, XK, ZJ
post #6 of 29 Old 07-14-2020, 05:56 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Always. Every time.

I too grew up in the 70's with no mandatory seat belt laws. Fought them when they were introduced. Reasoned "who is the government to tell me what to do". But got in the habit and no issues now.

Over the next forty years I have had various moments where they have saved me, culminating in a pretty bad wreck a couple of years ago. 4:30AM Jan morning lost control of my wife's Z3 on a rural road (black ice? Don't remember the wreck to this day) culminating in in a roll over down an embankment resulting in various injuries. Military HEAT training saved my life, as my first memory is standing on the road after a self extraction. I had some pretty bad injuries (fractured vertebra's, pretty impressive scalp wound, and a brain bleed) but the most painful one was a fractured sternum from the belt. Had I not been wearing the belt, the soft top would have literally taken my head off as it collapsed into the ground. I was flung hard enough against the belt to break a bone. Better than my face in the wheel or windshield.

An added bonus nobody talks about is the ability to remain in control during heavy maneuvers (vehicle movement). Being strapped in keeps you from flying around during high speed maneuvers or heavy wheeling, allowing you to concentrate on driving the car instead of trying to simply hang on.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #7 of 29 Old 07-14-2020, 10:49 AM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
I only wear one when i go flying.... can't see turbulence. Been in three wrecks, none were my fault. Drove drunk and stoned for 30+yrs (almost everyday) One was a battle with a train and the train won... i walked away (drunk and stoned). Never had a ticket for a seatbelt. I did wear one when i borrowed a friend's audi r8(wife told me to) a few years ago..... at over a 170mph. Hell, i remember riding in the back of my dads truck in the late 60s with my oldest brother driving 100mph in that old 68 ford 3 speed on the column with a 360..... it was fun and we were stupid...... Life's a risk!

post #8 of 29 Old 07-15-2020, 12:21 PM
Userid333

I've seen to many head-sized holes and and dents in windshields to not wear seatbelts.
post #9 of 29 Old 07-15-2020, 12:40 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
80+ yrs of cars driving on the road before seat belt laws...... How in the hell did anyone survive?

post #10 of 29 Old 07-15-2020, 04:13 PM
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Please watch some videos on seatbelts in cars on youtube.

I work with crash testing for a living and they make a huge difference.

The reason your daughter may have been bruised and you were fine is possibly because she is a smaller build and bruises easier? But also, when you're not wearing a seatbelt you are absolutely rolling the dice. Sure, that time you were fine. But that was pure luck. Maybe next time you're unlucky, and you fly towards something that delivers a fatal head injury. Maybe you're thrown out on to the ground and before you can get up, the Jeep comes rolling in on top of you. With your seatbelt on, sure you might get bruises but that's because it did it's job. But your vital organs and sensitive head will hopefully remain inside the roll cage and allow the cage of the vehicle to do it's job.

Final note: Airbags don't necessarily go off in a roll over. Curtain airbags would but Wranglers don't have 'em. The airbags will only go off when you hit something violently from the front, or possibly if something hits you violently from the rear. The sensor for those is directional. Seat airbags might go off with a side impact but again, different from a roll.

Please, for your daughter's sake, wear your seatbelt.

'06 TJ Sport

post #11 of 29 Old 07-15-2020, 08:01 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Mule View Post
80+ yrs of cars driving on the road before seat belt laws...... How in the hell did anyone survive?
That's an easy one, not everybody gets into an accident and not all accidents are severe enough to be fatal.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #12 of 29 Old 07-15-2020, 08:34 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Not in any way condoning my lack of maturity, and yes, people get hurt more not wearing a belt.......... Thats the people that need someone to guide them. As for me, i lived thru a Train hit car collision, driver cracked head on right side...... hospital , passenger(me) severe headache for four days , no hospital ( concussion), car new 83 gran prix .... may it rest in peace. I chose to take this risk....
I drive even better sober....... who da thought

post #13 of 29 Old 07-15-2020, 11:59 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Mule View Post
Most of them didn't. Couple a lack of restraint with steel dashboards, rigid steering columns, and overly wide underdash gaps meant any crash would smash you, impale you, crumple you like a rag doll under the dash, or fling you out of the rig.

Everyone has the right to choose. I would never infringe on your right to decide on whether or not to wear a belt. I damn sure will scream at you if I see your kids/grand kids unbuckled.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #14 of 29 Old 07-16-2020, 12:05 PM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
Most of them didn't. Couple a lack of restraint with steel dashboards, rigid steering columns, and overly wide underdash gaps meant any crash would smash you, impale you, crumple you like a rag doll under the dash, or fling you out of the rig.

Everyone has the right to choose. I would never infringe on your right to decide on whether or not to wear a belt. I damn sure will scream at you if I see your kids/grand kids unbuckled.

This, many people didn't survive.

I used to work auto insurance claims. There were VERY few cases where not having a seat belt saved someone, but most of the time a seat belt made a huge difference for something like a head-on collision or a roll-over. I always put mine on before I leave the driveway out of habit.

I have seen some pretty dumb seat belt uses though. I saw a zero-turn mower that had one, but no roll-bar. Literally the dumbest thing ever, if it rolls over you are basically stuck to the machine as it goes over. I wouldn't wear it in that instance, but if it had a roll-bar I would.

0331 head swap DIY:

"Build" thread:

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #15 of 29 Old 07-16-2020, 12:07 PM
TomSands

2003 KL Cherokee 

I have a friend that is saying that it annoys him and I never understood that. I always use it because it makes sense.
jeepguy03 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in