Jeep TJ death wobble - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
JC1998TJ

Jeep TJ death wobble

I have a 1998 tj I recently put a 2.5 inch lift on it nothing happened for a while but just yesterday its getting death wobble when Im going over 45 and gets worse as I go faster, I checked the trac bar and steering components and they were all tight would it just be that I need new steering components form them being worn out or do I need a adjustable trac bar from lifting it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 10:40 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Give a complete inventory of the lift kit parts installed ?

Posting in the TJ Wrangler specific pages of the forum will get more Wrangler owner views, but yes you will likely need to address the front track bar length. No lift kit is complete, you almost always need to buy additional parts.

The most common cause of TJ/ZJ/XJ death wobble is worn or damaged steering/suspension components, or the need to install additional parts not included in a lift kit package.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
JC1998TJ

Im still trying to figure out how to work this page fully lol thanks...
Rough country 2.5 inch lift, RC stabilizer, rear trac bar relocation bracket, Terraflex front sway bar disconnects

The drag-link, trac bar, steering components in general are all stock and theyre small compared to the aftermarket choices I also figured Id Grease the joints to see if that had anything to do with it and one some of the rubber bushings that hold he Greece had little holes in them where the Greece was coming out of I dont know if thats normal or not but in total it didnt do crap to fix anything

post #4 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 03:17 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The drag link is fine, you will likely need to address the front track bar length. A longer front track bar is the best solution. Front axle track bar relocation brackets tend to cause issues.

Death Wobble is a random, violent oscillation of the front end axle and steering components that requires a trigger like a bump, pothole, bridge expansion joints. It requires slowing to almost to a complete stop to cease the violent oscillations. When Death Wobble hits you will know

Death wobble is violent enough that even a few episodes will damage ball joints, tie-rod and drag link ends, front upper axle side control arm bushings, unit hub bearings, and most importantly, track bar bushings and bracket bolt holes.

The first steps to eliminate death wobble should be a visual inspection of each component, check the bushings, tire balance and an alignment. These are some common things you must check anytime you lift your Jeep. Death wobble is experienced mostly on lifted Jeeps, however it is not uncommon for someone without a lift to experience the dreaded DW. Listed below are a few things you can check.

Check your Track Bar, play in this can cause the axle to shake.
1. Bushings - check to see that they are not worn. Looks for cracks, and excessive play)
2. Angles - this angle should be the same as your draglink. Use an angle finders you can get at sears to determine this, dont just eye-ball it.
3. Track Bar Bolts Make sure all bolts both at the axle end, and at the frame bracket, are tightened down to spec (some lift components have a different torque spec then)

Check the Axle, the mounts may be worn or the bolt holes enlarged.
1. Check the axle mount. Here is a good write up on a wallowed out bolt hole
 http://www.jeepin.com/features/trackbarfix/index.asp http://www.jeepin.com/features/trackbarfix/index.asp
2. Check your Universal joints, a binding or lose U-Joint can cause DW
3. On the frame end if you still use the conventional Tie Rod End or (TRE) make sure that there is no play in this, as play can cause DW.
4. Look/Check for worn/torn boots on ball joints/tie-rod ends.

Check your Tires
1. Out of balance tires can cause shaking in the front end, which can lead to death wobble.
2. Make sure all of your lug nuts are tight, (Sounds elementary but it happens to the best of us)

Check your Frame
1. Small cracks in the frame can cause the steering box to feel loose, Shaking from DW can only make this worse. 33s and larger should have some form of Steering box brace, or frame brace in.
2. If you have upgraded your frame mount, make sure its cranked down nice and tight. (best to use an impact gun)
3. A busted Frame Mount can cause play in the front end causing DW (Keep a watchful eye on the welds as welds in sheer can break over time.

Make sure you have a good alignment
1. Lifted Jeep with larger tires require more toe-in.
2. After you get an alignment done, have them print out the numbers for you. An XJ should have a 7* positive caster angle. A lifted XJ cant always have that high of a number because the pinion would become out of alignment with the front driveshaft. Pinion angle takes precedence over caster.
3. Make you sure you go to a shop that will adjust the caster if necessary (either by shims in the frame side of the LCAs, or adjustable LCAs).

The more adjustable parts the easier it is to tune in your suspension.
1. Adjustable Track Bar
2. Adjustable Upper and Lower Control Arms (upper ones above 4" of lift). Not only are they adjustable, but they are stronger.

Things to remember:
1. After any lift, get your Jeep professionally aligned, this is a REQUIREMENT, not a suggestion.
2. A Steering Stabilizer (SS) is not a quick fix for DW.
3. Make sure that the lift you purchase comes with all the required parts for a safe driving vehicle. (as long as its going to be a DD)
4. PLEASE ALWAYS DRIVE WITH YOUR FRONT SWAY BAR CONNECTED!

DW is not usually caused by one single item on the list below, it occurs when a combination of weak, damaged, failed, or out of specification items on the list are present. Tire issues will only initiate DW, and are not the sole cause of DW.

Entire list of everything that can cause death wobble:
- Loose, worn, or incorrectly torqued suspension nuts/bolts
- Front alignment out of spec
- Loose track bar
- Worn track bar bushing axle end
- Worn track bar end frame end
- Worn track bar bolt hole on axle
- Needing an adjustable track bar
- Bad bushings/joints in control arms
- Damaged control arms or control arm mounts
- Worn/damaged shocks
- Worn/damaged tie rod ends
- Bad U Joint
- Bad ball joint
- Loose track bar frame mount hardware
- Worn/damaged track bar frame mount
- Steering box loose bolts/cracked frame mount area
- Driveshaft(s) not balanced
- Bad front hub assembly
- Bent axle housing

Torque specs:

Item ........................................ Ft. lbs. ................... Nm

Lug nuts (1/2 X 20 w/ 60* cone) .... 85-115 .............. 115-150
All tie rod ends .......................... 55 ..................... 74
Steering (both ends) ................... 55 .................... 74
Shock absorber upper nut .............. 16 .................... 22
Shock absorber lower nuts ............. 17 .................... 23
UCA frame end ........................... 66 ................... 89
UCA axle end ............................. 55 .................... 74
LCA frame end ........................... 85 ...................... 115
LCA axle end ............................. 85 ...................... 115
Track bar frame end ................... 60 .................... 81
Track bar axle end ..................... 40 ..................... 54
Track bar bracket bolts ............... 92 ...................... 125
Track bar bracket nut ................. 74 ....................... 100
Track bar bracket support bolts ...... 31 ....................... 42
Hub bolts (3) ............................. 75 ....................... 102
Hub- axle bolt ............................ 175 ..................... 237

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
JC1998TJ

I appreciate all youre time man I figured out what was wrong, today my left drive side wheel shot off the Jeep due to the spacer breaking from the studs because I had over tightened the lug nuts because I was in a rush and excited to finish my lift when I first got it (me being a dumb 17 year old lol) the studs were slowing breaking 1 by 1 hence it just starting yesterday its all fixed now now tho it took me a few hours after it got towed back to my house but Lesson learned I fixed the studs and break Rotor and tightened everything to spec and death wobble is gone. Again thankyou I appreciate the help

post #6 of 9 Old 02-16-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
JC1998TJ

Also Im going to print this off for future reference I really do appreciate it

post #7 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 06:55 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good to hear there was no serious harm from the breakage, and that it was an easy fix.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 07:42 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

The TJ Tech section can be your friend. There's a sticky thread dedicated to TJ death wobble, plus thousands of other threads that can help diagnose other issues.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/
post #9 of 9 Old 02-17-2019, 08:07 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Delete

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in