THIS is Insane!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-06-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

THIS is Insane!!!

Hey all,
There is a new movie coming out Fri, Dec 7th called Free Solo. It is about rock climber Alex Honnold. Last year he climbed El Capitan in Yosemite national park. 3000ft straight up! Thousands of people have done it. Some have died trying. Trick to this one is... he did it with NO ROPES or climbing gear!!!
You can check out a video here...

Video is a bit long, but shows a shot of him climbing pretty early on. The thing that caught my eye was that he was climbing in a Tee shirt!!! I actually was there that day he did it and I can tell you it was freak'n cold that day/morning!!! lol. Myself and a co worker were going to go try to watch after we got off work at 3:30... but he was already finished!!! IIRC he did it in under 4 hours! Most climbers take 2 days!!! Wow!

Anywho... just thought I'd share. Pretty amazing to me the stuff this guy does! Tons of other videos of him if you search YouTube.

Enjoy.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-06-2018, 08:52 PM
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

damn

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 12-09-2018, 05:27 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
So Rockworm did any climbing ever? I would bet we have a few members that have here?.

i started climbing way back in the early 70s ended in 1990's. Some of my old gear is Antique today. Some not even legal to use, lol. God i remember when "friends" came out. even going from "iron" to chalks was a big deal, friends blew it away changed the sport a lot.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #4 of 7 Old 12-09-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nope, no climbing for me! I'm not at all built for it! I'm, how shall we say... big boned. Lol. But that's why I've always had a Jeep! I drive to where I want to go!

Although, since all this happened in Yosemite park, one of my bucket lists is hiking up to the top of Yosemite Falls. Not really sure why.. just seems like a cool thing to check off the list. Since I spent almost 4 months working on a project up there and the falls were practically right there, I figured I'd give it a go. Of course loosing a few lbs. and getting in much better shape at my age is mandatory.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #5 of 7 Old 12-10-2018, 11:31 AM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

I saw it was coming out....not my thing...I used to climb and repel and spelunk in my twenties but now pushing 50 (man that sounds old now that I say it), I just fish, hunt with my dogs and Jeep....even quit playing competition soccer at 35.....Never would climb without gear though!!!

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #6 of 7 Old 12-11-2018, 05:58 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
My son started out on indoor rock walls but when he moved to Utah started doing the outside stuff.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Hey all,
There is a new movie coming out Fri, Dec 7th called Free Solo. It is about rock climber Alex Honnold. Last year he climbed El Capitan in Yosemite national park. 3000ft straight up! Thousands of people have done it. Some have died trying. Trick to this one is... he did it with NO ROPES or climbing gear!!!
You can check out a video here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-wjmIFlnNo

Video is a bit long, but shows a shot of him climbing pretty early on. The thing that caught my eye was that he was climbing in a Tee shirt!!! I actually was there that day he did it and I can tell you it was freak'n cold that day/morning!!! lol. Myself and a co worker were going to go try to watch after we got off work at 3:30... but he was already finished!!! IIRC he did it in under 4 hours! Most climbers take 2 days!!! Wow!

Anywho... just thought I'd share. Pretty amazing to me the stuff this guy does! Tons of other videos of him if you search YouTube.

Enjoy.
Free climbing is tons faster than trad. It's also more dangerous by miles obviously. Most of the time you spend on a route is placing protection, then belaying for your follow climber and having him clean the route. Then he transfers all the pro to you, you organize and start the next pitch. It's a slow process. Fun and a great workout. Folks that solo generally still carry some protection with them to help them past tricky spots or give them the ability to take a break. Going free solo is basically just your shoes and a chalk bag.

And those that free/solo are rarely climbing at the peak of their ability. They may be 5.15 climbers at peak and they'll solo at 5.12 kind of thing. The El cap route alex used was a 5.12d. NOT an easy route, but well in his warm-up range. Elite is elite

Back in the day I was a 5.12 climber, indoor and generally a 5.10/11 outdoor. That means I could make it up most 5.12's eventually. Falls may be involved... Routes are labeled for the hardest move in a route. So you may be running 5.6 all day, but a 5.12 dyno, it's a 5.12 route. I'd personally solo a 5.8 all day (those are generally big cracks and buckets) but I would be insane to do the same on a 5.12. I'd be stupid to do it on a 5.10. And I wouldn't solo anything I hadn't lead climbed repeatedly so I KNEW the route and what every move was going to be.

And honestly, regardless of how well he knew the route he took. It's still amazing he could get to the top dragging those giant brass ones up after him

I'm the only gay eskimo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in