Taken from a facebook group I follow, Disgruntled vets
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 09:49 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Yea, back in the 70/80s we could get those from the local army surplus store. And they were stupid cheap, like under $100 back then.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 10 Old 06-03-2020, 01:22 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
They have one of those displayed at the WWII museum in New Orleans partially assymbled. That place is a must see.

I seem to recall reading that specific picture might actually be a model but is very accurate.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I had one back in the 70s. I was stationed on Governor's Island New York and the DRMO surplus was at Marine Ocean Terminal, in new Jersey. I won 3 pallets of jeep parts at auction for $45. It actually cost more to get the stuff out to the farm than to buy it. I managed to put together one whole running rig. But Jersey had pretty tight laws and it would have been way to expensive to get it to the point where I could license it for on the road, lights seat belts, emissions etc. So I just kept it for running the fields and anywhere I could get to quickly on road.
I have no idea what happened to it when the farm got split up between the aunts and uncles, I was OCONUS and didn't find out until there was a factory being built where the barn was.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-05-2020, 05:48 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

It's sad how much of that 70's "junk" is worth gold today. Back then you couldn't move a first gen Bronco, 23 window Samba, or late 60's mustang off a used car lot. If it had over 80,000 miles on it, it was virtually unsellable and was headed straight to the wrecking yard.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #6 of 10 Old 06-05-2020, 06:45 PM
Ciborium

My grandfather has one of those but he sold it which was really sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-20-2020, 02:41 PM
bobbZ

Yeah, they look really awesome and robust. I prefer to make purchases and any other important actions like these - based on horoscopes or predictions, numerology articles like here ( https://www.sunsigns.org/angel-number-9-meaning/ ), cause it can give you information what numbers will help you and in what situation you should use them for profit.

Last edited by bobbZ; 06-28-2020 at 09:36 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-21-2020, 08:19 AM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Yea, back in the 70/80s we could get those from the local army surplus store. And they were stupid cheap, like under $100 back then.
Did you actually see one?
We always 'heard' about the 'Jeep in a crate' stories back in the 70's, but strangely no one ever knew where or how to get one. The Army surplus stores at the time had no clue... but they did have tons of Vietnam jungle boots for super cheap. I think I wore out at least 3 pairs! Even JP magazine chalked it up to an urban legend.
But obviously that is how they were originally shipped over seas during the war. One of my Uncles had a '47. Which is why I've always had the 'Jeep' bug. But he sold it long before I was old enough to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
They have one of those displayed at the WWII museum in New Orleans partially assymbled. That place is a must see.

I seem to recall reading that specific picture might actually be a model but is very accurate.
I got to go there last June. Very awesome and cool! Did'nt have time to go see the PT boat, tho. You are right, definitely a must see!!!
jbolty likes this.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #9 of 10 Old 06-21-2020, 02:33 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Did you actually see one?
We always 'heard' about the 'Jeep in a crate' stories back in the 70's, but strangely no one ever knew where or how to get one. The Army surplus stores at the time had no clue... but they did have tons of Vietnam jungle boots for super cheap. I think I wore out at least 3 pairs! Even JP magazine chalked it up to an urban legend.
But obviously that is how they were originally shipped over seas during the war. One of my Uncles had a '47. Which is why I've always had the 'Jeep' bug. But he sold it long before I was old enough to drive.
No, like you, we just heard the stories fueled by the ads in the backs of our old magazines.

And a quick google search pretty much confirms what you say. Even found an article on a military history site from a couple years ago with the same pic of the crated Jeep and a bunch of other cool pics, with more believable facts about the whole story...

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/fea...n-a-crate.html

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2020, 10:27 AM
Dr. Internet
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's True

Back in the day, when I was in Uncle Sammy's Canoe Club (USN), we got a new ship in the Boston Navy Yard. It was a special ship (T-AGS), designed to go a lot of places and do abnormal stuff. We had two LCVPs, two 2.5 ton trucks, and two Jeeps. The Jeeps arrived as shown, in two crates. The boat crew assembled them on the dock, added fluids and drove them around for a while to make sure everything worked, then we loaded them aboard, using our gigantic crane. That was in 1971.
I drove one, once. It was rough as hell, loud, windy, governor limited to 50 mph, had bad headlights and wipers. It was a blast to drive!

Steve

2012 Black GC Overland Summit 4x4 2006 Red LJ Rubi
USN Club Hull TJ-13 TX Jeep Club #29

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in