I got run off the road - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-18-2021, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I got run off the road

On the evening of April 11, I got run off the road while in my Jeep. It was in the city and I ended up jumping a high curb at 45 mph because I had to change lanes quickly because the vehicle on the inboard lane quickly changed lanes into the outboard lane while I was alongside.

I blew my horn and hit the brakes etc. When the person saw what they did they floored it and sped off. I pulled over into a parking lot and didn’t see any damage. Someone else pulled over that saw what happened and checked if I was alright.

Two fingers, my knuckles, wrist, elbow, and shoulder were hurting a lot from the wheel being jerked out of my hands when I jumped the curb. Of course it was my right hand and I am right handed.

I took some dual action advil and immobilized my hand wrist and finger with a sleeve type of thing. A few days later the pain was still getting worse and worse and I couldn’t stand it anymore.

After I got off work a few days ago, I went to an urgent care facility near my house.

I got X-rays and a splint put on my pinky finger because it is broken. They gave me pain medicine which worked ok for a couple of days but then stopped working. They also are referring me to an orthopedic surgeon.

This is from the X-ray report.

Alignment is normal.

There is an acute chip fracture involving base of the distal findings of the fifth finger. The fracture in-laws the articular surface at the base of the distal phalanx and the fracture fragment is mildly displaced dorsally with a separation/step-off along the articular surface.

No carpal bone abnormality seen.

The osteoarthritis of multiple DIP joints is present.

No radiopaque foreign body in the soft tissues is present.

IMPRESSION:

Acute chip fracture of the base of the distal phalanx of the fifth finger.

The one good thing is I was not on my motorcycle or my Corvette. A few months ago I changed out all the steering components to heavy duty parts made out of chromoly which is 200% stronger than stock. Glad I did that because it held up well. Since this happened I have been researching dash cams.
Attached Thumbnails
74A9D4A5-1755-4DBC-8F34-F0511E571768.jpg   91567671-D3C1-4F97-A658-4C5B3E27F577.jpg   C0F7DDB8-6EF0-433E-A05D-A79120DA8D63.jpg   0D20A040-CB6F-4BD1-BBE1-F4142021D788.jpg   CDC8546E-AC5B-42F7-A499-50BC3F4F87AD.jpg  

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-20-2021, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Apparently the break is pretty bad and worse than what the low res screen captures I posted indicate. It’s also across the joint.

I am getting pins put in Friday.

post #3 of 18 Old 04-21-2021, 04:27 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Dude, that sucks!

But , because, you know, we are who we are... how's the Jeep?

Hoss

I used to be a people person, until people ruined it...
post #4 of 18 Old 04-26-2021, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Jeep held up better than I did. Glad I recently put the Teraflex steering kit on and put new Cooper Discoverer ST MAXX tires on.

Here is my hand. There is a half of hard cast and gauze and all kind of stuff the ace bandage covers up. They put two pins in my finger.
Attached Thumbnails
DC4F97D2-8153-4251-90B9-EB06B5081A21.jpg   17C67C55-80A3-4950-9BFD-67682CEA30B7.jpg  

post #5 of 18 Old 04-26-2021, 12:27 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Bummer, hope your recovery goes well!

Hoss

post #6 of 18 Old 04-26-2021, 09:16 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Sorry for your accident.
What city are you talking about that you were in?
Wifey and I were in Lafayette a couple years ago on our road trip back east. Sure as heck didn't see much of a town/big city, going thru that way... what did we miss?

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #7 of 18 Old 04-27-2021, 02:48 PM
Lissie

Yeah
The story is not the most joyful
It's very cool that you replaced all the steering components so prudently, because everything could have ended up much worse.
Get well soon

Last edited by Lissie; 04-28-2021 at 11:22 AM.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-12-2021, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Got the cast off yesterday. Pins will come out in four weeks. Doctor put an aluminum splint on until then. All that fooling around with it made it hurt immensely, especially the knuckles.

He gave me a refill on the pain medicine so that’s good.

post #9 of 18 Old 05-24-2021, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I went to a massage therapist who was able to help me with the shoulder.

I am still in a lot of pain and different things hurt on different days. There is no more pain medicine so I am taking Motrin with Tylenol when it gets where I can’t stand it anymore. It’s the knuckles, wrist, elbow, and shoulder although the shoulder is not as bad as it was.

My JKU has a 3” BDS Suspension lift, the aforementioned teraflex tie rod and drag link, Fox shocks, and fox ats steering stabilizer.

I have been thinking of what I could do to prevent such a hard kick back in the future. The only thing I could come up with is adjustable control arms, and then I am not even sure. I don’t have any steering anomalies or anything and it drives pretty good. The lift was installed shortly after I bought it in November of 2013. The teraflex steering components were installed with new tires and new shocks not very long ago. It’s still the same fox ats steering stabilizer though that was installed with the lift.

The pins come out my finger June 16.

post #10 of 18 Old 05-30-2021, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I tried voltaren gel for pain and it worked great. The second application caused me a severe reaction. Almost went to the ER but touched it out abd dealt with it on my own. I think it reacted with one of my prescription medications.

It caused severe swelling in my lower legs and feet, bleeding gums, bleeding from butt hole, severe chest pain that ended up being heart burn and not a heart attack, intestinal distress, and stomach pain.

It was horrific.

post #11 of 18 Old 05-30-2021, 11:54 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post

It was horrific.
You had me at bleeding orifices....

Hoss

post #12 of 18 Old 08-02-2021, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Still in severe pain and having problems. I had another appointment with the orthopedic surgeon and unloaded on him about all the problems and pain I am in.

He referred me to therapy.

On August 10 and 11 I am going for an evaluation for physical therapy and occupational therapy.

post #13 of 18 Old 08-03-2021, 08:33 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post

My JKU has a 3” BDS Suspension lift, the aforementioned teraflex tie rod and drag link, Fox shocks, and fox ats steering stabilizer.

I have been thinking of what I could do to prevent such a hard kick back in the future. The only thing I could come up with is adjustable control arms, and then I am not even sure.

The pins come out my finger June 16.
Sounds like you're close to the age I had my back surgery... still have chronic pain... suks... I know PT does'nt sound like much of a cure in the short term, but if ya stick to it, it can be very beneficial.

As for the Jeep... those PRP seats are super comfy and would help a lot for ride comfort. It's just really hard to justify the price of the dumb things! Even tho I know I need them, I just can't pull the trigger! Wish they'd come down to earth a little and I'd prolly go for it.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #14 of 18 Old 08-03-2021, 10:16 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

X2 on the PT, do the work, it WILL help!

Hang in there!

Hoss

post #15 of 18 Old 08-03-2021, 10:48 PM
Harriedtwo

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Prot, I hope by now you are feeling much better. Do the therapy and follow all the guidance the therapist provides. I have a bad back from my time in the Army during the Vietnam War (I was on Okinawa) but at times it really acts up. Pain meds work for a time but they can be pretty nasty if you get hooked on them. Like a lot of people I've done stupid things and injuring my back was my own fault since I could have gotten help to carry the very heavy load. Therapy has helped over the years but learning how to avoid the pain is so much better.

As for your Jeep, sounds to me like you replaced all the needed items before you were injured so the damage could have been much worse. As far as a dashcam, Nextar makes some pretty good ones and the least expensive ones are under $100. I wanted a dashcam but my wife bought a GoPro 8 for me instead. Now I need to learn to use it. Best wishes.

Harried Harry
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
Wife: 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in