is it even worth it to use locking lug nuts - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-06-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

is it even worth it to use locking lug nuts

Hello, I hear many people do not bother anymore getting the locking lug nuts installed on their wheels due to the fact that nowadays one can buy a socket that will remove them anyways. What is your opinion? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-06-2019, 08:14 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
they are not hard to get off but will at least slow down a thief.

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 06-06-2019, 08:31 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
could always just use red lock tight. sit back and watch the show.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-07-2019, 09:41 AM
Devil15

As someone who works on cars for a living, I can tell you everyone that uses wheel locks is a terrible human being. Double hate points if your one of the ones that hides the key and can't remember where they put it.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 19 Old 06-07-2019, 11:09 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Locking lugnuts have always been useless. You just tap an impact socket onto them, and they spin right off.
underscore likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 19 Old 06-07-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

red rock tight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
could always just use red lock tight. sit back and watch the show.

thanks for the tip but now I just have to figure out what exactly "red rock tight" means , do I need set of big muscles for one of those special tights?
post #7 of 19 Old 06-07-2019, 09:18 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
red lock tight

use that and it will take heat to remove or just break off the studs......

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #8 of 19 Old 06-08-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

yes but .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
red lock tight

use that and it will take heat to remove or just break off the studs......

this is certainly a very interesting product but I do not equip normally my car with a torch so I would be stuck on the road with a flat tire , how else could I remove my spare ? LOL
post #9 of 19 Old 06-08-2019, 01:23 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most tire/rim thieves are not pros, locking lug nuts will defeat most of the less determined thieves. If you really want to be secure, I have seen somewhere you can buy a whole box of matching locking nuts for all four rims, so that each lug nut is a lock nut that would need to Macgyvered off, instead of just one per rim.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Most tire/rim thieves are not pros, locking lug nuts will defeat most of the less determined thieves. If you really want to be secure, I have seen somewhere you can buy a whole box of matching locking nuts for all four rims, so that each lug nut is a lock nut that would need to Macgyvered off, instead of just one per rim.

yes , that will do it
post #11 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Rollin20z

Not a wheel/tire thief but have never found a wheel lock that wouldn't come off fairly easily without lock key. Have had a set of wheel lock removers for many years and can 99% of locks always come right off. As for the loctite method, if I were stealing your wheels do you think I would care about popping your studs off? Doesn't take much to do that either.

But if wheels locks make you feel more secure in thinking your wheels are safe from thieves that's good because that is why they are sold. Same as anything, if someone wants what you got bad enough they will get it.

Quote:
True, unless you get one of those sets that the key ends up stripping/splitting on you rendering it useless and then you have possibly 20 lock you have to Macgyver off yourself, which could suck even more.
post #12 of 19 Old 06-09-2019, 06:18 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A determined thief can steal just about anything that is locked, but even an idiot can steal unprotected tires/rims. My locking lug nuts have been off and on for tire rotations and winter/summer tire change overs for at least the last 10 years, and the key is just fine.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Rollin20z

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
A determined thief can steal just about anything that is locked, but even an idiot can steal unprotected tires/rims. My locking lug nuts have been off and on for tire rotations and winter/summer tire change overs for at least the last 10 years, and the key is just fine.
Tim,
I didn't mean that in a rude way, I was just saying that some of those cheaper sets of 20 lug/locks can be a nightmare. I've known guys with them and never had a problem, but also seen some putting them on and not cranking down on them at all and the key stripped or split right out. My only advice is that if you are gonna get wheel locks don't skimp and get a nice quality set.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-11-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Kluk Ztopolovky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin20z View Post
Tim,
I didn't mean that in a rude way, I was just saying that some of those cheaper sets of 20 lug/locks can be a nightmare. I've known guys with them and never had a problem, but also seen some putting them on and not cranking down on them at all and the key stripped or split right out. My only advice is that if you are gonna get wheel locks don't skimp and get a nice quality set.

thanks Rollin , yes I think better quality is the way to go , thanks
post #15 of 19 Old 06-11-2019, 05:35 PM
Arjay
2004 WJ 

Most can be cracked eventually. Even the rotating collar ones. I guess if you put 4 or 5 of the rotating collar locks on EACH rim it would really slow the thieves down. They would need some real time to get all 4 rims.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in