dumb things in the garage. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 12-13-2008, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
cack-
1999 TJ Wrangler 

dumb things in the garage.

so. today i was messing around trying to keep busy by finding things to do on my tj. and i had never taken the doors off before so i figured i would for ****s and giggles.

well they have never been off before so there was no way i was lifting them off with my own strength. so i set a jack up with some wood blocks to push the door up and off the hinges.

well wasnt thinking AT ALL and started jacking. saw it raise up a little.. then POP the door comes off, and falls on the floor, and dents the corner of the door. after some time with a rubber mallet i got it straightened out and cleaned up so you cant see it as bad.

anyone else have any storys to make me feel better about my stupid mistake? ahaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 12-13-2008, 04:35 PM
coonash

Umm, no. But thanks for the laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41

Last edited by coonash; 12-13-2008 at 05:19 PM.
post #3 of 48 Old 12-13-2008, 05:11 PM
TheMightyGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

[YT]lB3fi7opDBc[/YT]
post #4 of 48 Old 12-13-2008, 05:19 PM
athos76

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was helping a friend seal and stain a wardrobe he made. We used the epoxy resin type of sealant and were pouring it on a side and smoothing it out. Well, we put on a coat, and ran out to get some food. When we got back we tried to move the wardrobe and it wouldn't budge. The resin had seeped down the sides and hardened effectively gluing it to the floor.

Another time (same garage)... we were staining the driveway and had to wait about an hour between coats. So we were chilling out in the front yard and starting finishing off a case of Yuengling... We started showing off with popping the caps off and one flew onto the driveway. He ran out to get it and at the same time the phone rang.... so he grabbed the cap and ran into the house...tracking red driveway stain across all the carpetting....

2006 I6 6-Speed X, 33" Goodyear Duratrac, 8.8.
post #5 of 48 Old 12-13-2008, 06:23 PM
1996BlackXJ

1996 XJ Cherokee 

This will make you feel better,

My garage has so much junk (and one half is my dads home machine shop) that you can't fit a car, hardly a bicycle.

-Max Black 1996 XJ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

4.5" lift of assorted brands, 33x10.5 KM2s on D-Windows, JCR rear bumper, Nates Slimline w/Champion 8k winch, custom half doors, roof rack, and tire carrier, Maine Woods dents and pin striping, and various other cool things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maine Jeep Club Member #1 Firefighter Jeep Club Member Black Jeep Society Member #163Survivalist Jeep Club Member #14
post #6 of 48 Old 12-13-2008, 07:39 PM
89YJmoneypit
KMG365

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack-
anyone else have any storys to make me feel better about my stupid mistake?
Um, Yeah........
I was doing some final wiring after my 4.0 swap a few years ago, and I was splicing what I thought was the tach signal wire to the coil. Wrong! Not using my brain, I left the battery connected and the tranny in 1st gear. As soon as I spliced the 2 wires together it energized the starter. All I could do was jump out of the way, say some really bad words, and watch it go through the back wall of my garage. The funniest part (though not at the time) was 2 minutes later when the garage door opened up and my wife pulled in, it looked like a bomb went off. She wasn't too happy. You can see the repair job to the wall in this picture:

89 YJ
Transplanted '99 4.0, AX-15, NP231
Red Jeep club #8
Now belongs to my daughter.
97 ZJ Laredo
4.0, 42re, NP242
R.I.P.

Marseilles Fire Dept:
post #7 of 48 Old 12-13-2008, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
cack-
1999 TJ Wrangler 

wow. you definitely have me beat. that must have been one of those moments where things just went so wrong all you can do laugh to keep sane.
post #8 of 48 Old 12-13-2008, 10:24 PM
MoonyJohn

2004 WJ 

Theres a lot of crap in our garage. Theres a couch, lawnmowers, and tables everywhere.

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
post #9 of 48 Old 12-13-2008, 10:27 PM
_Kyle_

2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is NOTHING in my new garage..yet...

-Kyle

1996 Grand Cherokee
2005 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition
RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

post #10 of 48 Old 12-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Motorcharge

1999 WJ 

No garage.
But as for recent dumb stuff, was walking into walmart today and tripped over one those islands while texting someone. Hit the ground hard as hell and rolled out in front of a ton of people.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #11 of 48 Old 12-14-2008, 01:10 AM
Lastshot

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Well, this one was only partly(somewhat) my fault, but a good story none the less.

Back in September, my rear view mirror fell off, so I picked up one of those little adhesive kits from the local auto store, and used a generous amount of the glue. Well, about a week went by, and my friend(whom is about 5'5") tripped getting in the passenger side, and knocked the mirror off again, but this time, the glue didn't fail, and the mirror took a nice chunk of the windshield with it... Not only was it incredibly hard to get the glass off the little metal button, but when I went to put the button back on the windshield , I mounted it upside down . It's all good now though

{Project
-'05 LJ build }~{SOLD '98 TJ -
}
{You know you drive a TJ
}
Quote:
gily25 Says...
Issues only become problems when you don't have the tools or time to fix it.
Mike318 Says...
I like my 4.0L like I like my ****... stroked and blown. :duhrock:
post #12 of 48 Old 12-14-2008, 04:31 AM
Curlee
US Army 19D

1997 TJ Wrangler 

About 3 years ago I was rotating the tires on the jeep. I had the front and the back jacked up and all the tires were off. I had the front on stands, and only had the rear on the jack. Well, I decided it would be stupid to leave it only on the jack so I decided to put stands underneath it. Well, the rear wouldnt even jack up high enough to get the stands under it on the lowest setting, so I decided to get the high lift out and use that in conjunction with the floor jack..... Well it ended up getting off balance and actually falling off the jack, and the front stands. I even left passenger door open and it nearly ripped it off. The only thing that saved it was that I had taken the doors off recently and didnt replace the nuts, so it just popped out of the hinges instead.

Spent the next 20 min using the floor jack to get everything back up on stands. I was afraid to look underneath, but everything was fine except a large scrape on the rear lower control arm mounting bracket.

Learned my lesson the hard way.....

My LS2 Wrangler build

Wheelers for the wounded Great cause, check it out

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.
- Thomas Jefferson
post #13 of 48 Old 12-14-2008, 06:15 AM
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well. . . The worst I think I've done in my garage was when I was changing the clutch in my Camaro. . . I put it up on jackstands, dropped the transmission, installed the new clutch disk, throwout bearing, and got everything cleaned up, put the trans in, bolted everything in, took it off the jackstands, got in it, started it up, tried to put it in 1st gear. . .

I put the clutch disk in backwards. Had to drop the trans and do it all over again.

Check out my Gun Blog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
post #14 of 48 Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Whiteboy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yep we all have made those Silly mistakes before just something you know you shouldnt try & we try it anyway & BAM something happens , then your like SON OF A GUN!!!

I was painting somehthing in my garage for someone so I pulled my motorcycle out of the garage of course , no mind you this was a 2001 CBR f4i Sportbike that I just painted House of Klor Candy Apple Red I had about $600.00 in supplies & it was painted for about 2 months , so I pulled out into the back yard under a tree out of the way. So I went back in the garage & started painting & came out about 1/2 hour later to get some air Walked around the corner & saw my bike laying on its side the kick stand sunk into the ground & it fell over, now mind you where I had it parked was stone its a spot at the end of my driveway in the back yard so I ruined the Rear tail of the paint man I was SOOOO MAD!!!So I had to repaint my rear tail & it never matched right .
post #15 of 48 Old 12-14-2008, 06:47 AM
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Dropped my front axle on my brothers are via the brake rotor while doing my suspension lift. The ONE TIME we move the jack stand to get lower droop to fit the spring and all hell breaks loose.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in