Craigslist Scam BeWare - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
JroCc

Craigslist Scam BeWare

I can't post in the classifieds so I stuck this here. I saw this and thought it was to good to be true. The Sahara has like 51k on it..asking 3500.00. They didn't reply to my email through craigslist so that the was the first strike...then they wanted me to send money through ebay and they would ship the jeep to me for free..LOOOOOLL Strikes two and three....

Vin: 2J4FY49T8KJ130259

This is the Jeep:

Scam pictures by Jrocc013 - Photobucket

I found this when I ran the vin...scroll down and the under hood pics are the same

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...d-true-581584/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 PM
sparkchaser

1996 XJ Cherokee 

At least you were smart enough not to fall for it.

"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
post #3 of 8 Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Indy

Why is 3500 the magic scam number? Every vehicle scam is priced right around there.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-23-2009, 02:03 AM
Tarukai
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Why is 3500 the magic scam number? Every vehicle scam is priced right around there.
because it's a low enough number that people think they can afford it, but high enough that it doesn't make it seem like junk considering age and miles.

It's foolish either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch8672
Had the day off from work so I decided to shave my dog
______ooooo
/__l_l_,\____\,___
l_---l_l__l---[ ]llllll[ ]

_.(o)_)__(o)_)-o-)_)
post #5 of 8 Old 09-23-2009, 04:35 AM
lobukjeep

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'll tell you how much of a scam it is.These same exact pics were used probably almost a year ago for the same scam.I remember this one like yesterday.lol

"We don't call you son 'cause your bright"
post #6 of 8 Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 AM
Jeremy_C
1978 CJ7 

There was a newer sahara for sale in the knoxville craigslist, it was priced at 4500 I think. The pictures of it were taken somewhere with palm trees. We dont have palm trees in Tennessee. That was the first red flag. Obviously a almost new jeep selling that cheap around here was a red flag as well.

Can barely buy a hard top for that price around here. lmao.

1978 Cj7 360, Yellow.
Yellow Jeep Club member # 1982
Tennessee Vol Jeep Club # 1
post #7 of 8 Old 03-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Kimberly

2j4fy49t8kj130259 scam!!!

A few months ago, my husband responded to and paid for a jeep that was also a scam. Unfortunately, he lost $3000.00 to get me a birthday gift that I would never forget. (Great guy-I'm a very lucky girl) The email was very similar to the one that is posted below concerning VIN # 2J4FY49T8KJ13025. I was tipped very easily because it was a very devastating occurance.

I responded to this same post 03/23/10. The scammer sent me a message the very next morning concerning this jeep.

Here is the Email:

Hi and sorry for this late reply but I have been overwhelmed by the number of emails I got from interested buyers after listing my jeep on Yahoo Autos and several newspapers. I must avoid the chit-chat as I don't have time for it so I hope I will cover here all the aspects of this purchase and answer to all the questions you might have. My jeep is in good running condition and comes with a clear title. There is no lien on it, there will be no monthly payments, no take over payments, just final price. No major damages or scratches, of course it's a '89 so it's not brand new. It's 4x4 and it has A/C. It has the most wanted automatic transmission and the Mopar Fuel Injected 4.2L 6-Cylinder engine. It passed emission test recently. It gets 15/18 MPG. It comes with the soft top (best top) and a bikini top - black. Odometer shows 55678 miles(very low for it's year) and here's the VIN# 2J4FY49T8KJ130259 if you want to run a Carfax report to see it for yourself that the above mentioned description is accurate. The total price I'm asking for my jeep is $2,300 which is a fair price and I expect to sell it fast so whoever will respond sooner and accept the price and the terms will be the next owner.

I would like to use a third party service to handle this transaction for our both safety and comfort. I have bought and sold cars, atvs and a motorcycle over the internet using this service and I guarantee you that it's a very easy and fast way to make it happen while you're doing your own business. Yahoo Autos offers a third party service for their premium members only for a small fee and they also have great support team for this. As a Yahoo Autos premium seller I can initiate a third party transaction online in a matter of minutes and I'm willing to pay for their fee. This is how it works. I will initiate the transaction using the terms below and your details for shipping. Yahoo Autos will contact you shortly after that with further instructions. You will send the funds in escrow to Yahoo Autos. They will verify and secure the payment and after that they will advise me to ship the jeep to your address. The jeep will be shipped from Vegas using Dependable Auto Shippers company. I like them because they have low fees(I'm telling you this because I will pay the fees) and also they ship the cars in enclosed trailer which is nice. The jeep will be delivered to your address in a few days and you will have 3 business days to take it for a test drive, drop it for inspection at the local dealership etc. After inspection period ends you will have to confirm to Yahoo Autos that you agree to purchase it and I will get paid by Yahoo Autos at that point. If you choose to return it you will get your money back in full and I will get my jeep back and try to find another buyer. You will have to ship it back to me using the same shipping company and I'll cover the cost for that. This transaction will be free for you, just like a test drive when you pay only after you are 100% sure you like it, so it's your decision. If you agree than please send me:

- your full name (first and last name)
- your shipping address (street, city, state, zip code)
- your contact phone number (home or cell)
- additionally you will have to sign up with Yahoo Autos and send me your Yahoo ID or email address (go to Yahoo! click Autos on the left side and sign up)

I will use these details to initiate the third party transaction with Yahoo Autos. Yahoo will contact you after that and tell you what you need to do. Before you send me your details you'll first have to review and accept the terms of this third party transaction:

- shipping and paperwork will be handled by Dependable Auto Shippers
- after you receive the jeep you will have 3 business days for inspection
- I will pay for the shipping fees
- I will pay for the Yahoo Autos fees
- total price you have to pay is $2,300

If you accept the terms and have the cash ready, not waiting for a loan or financing, please send me your details so I can start the Yahoo Autos transaction.

Regards, Tom
post #8 of 8 Old 03-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Indy

Well you obviously haven't forgotten it so I call the gift a success!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in