1Likes
  • 1 Post By RockWoRM

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-25-2020, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Daron65

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Cigarette smoke smell removal

Hello, I just purchased a 04 TJ. It has a bad cigarette smell, that I used as a negotiate a lower price. Is there any tricks that you have done to elimate the smoke smell? I will get around to removing seats and carpet and clean them.

Thank you

Just think, If everyone would help someone, how much better we all would be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-26-2020, 09:10 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ozium used to work well for other than cigarette smoke back in the 70's..... or so I was told
But now steam clean the carpets and spray all the surfaces with Fabreeze. I've used it with real success.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-26-2020, 09:56 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ozium works temporarily. I have had success by removing seats and carpets, treating with upholstery cleaner, and then pressure washing.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #4 of 15 Old 06-28-2020, 09:02 AM
bobbZ

Maybe some kind of air purifier could help? Or steam cleaners?
post #5 of 15 Old 06-28-2020, 04:27 PM
RockWoRM

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can always smoke a lot of pot in the car. (not driving of course) Then it will no longer smell like cigarettes.

97Mule likes this.

'05 LJR, 6sp, RC long arm w/MC 6" coils, 5.13 D44's w/chromo shafts, MetalCloak fenders/sliders/body armor, 37x12.50 MTR's, Warn 9.5, RockHard swing out w/full spare. <><
post #6 of 15 Old 06-28-2020, 08:39 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Chlorine bombs work well.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chlorine+c...as&ia=shopping

They even remove dead body smell

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #7 of 15 Old 06-29-2020, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Daron65

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for all the advice. Over the weekend, I removed the seats and carpet. I steam cleaned the seats, and then sprayed with odoban. The carpet has been washed and sprayed off three times. Im still getting yellow brown nasty water out of them, so they are now soaking in a citrus based cleaner. I hosed the tub out. I also used one of the turtle wax car bombs in it. Hopefully will have all put back together tomorrow. Front seats are in now, and so far, so good.

Just think, If everyone would help someone, how much better we all would be!
post #8 of 15 Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Cigg smoke odor is tough to get rid of totally. The smoke leaves a smelly residue on everything behind the dash, on the wiring and in the heater ducts.
There are duct cleaner sprays that can help neutralize any stink coming from the HVAC system.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #9 of 15 Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 AM
PaulM23

Treat with upholstery cleaner everything you took out, the carpets and seats, should be enough cause these are likely retaining the smell to begin with.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-01-2020, 04:03 AM
Romantion

Wash hard surfaces with vinegar Wiping down plastic interior surfaces will help to remove any residue contributing to the smoke smell.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-02-2020, 07:30 PM
Golden-Arm

Garage
you can rent an ozone generator at most equipment rental places. put it inside, and crank it up. put a battery charger on your car, and turn on the climate control (fan) and leave it on low. (battery charger saves the battery while doing this) let it run overnight. check it out in the morning. open it up, let it air out for a minute or so, and hop in and take a sniff. if the smell is still there, close it up, and run it for another 8 hours. be sure to run the fan on low, so you are cleaning out the insides of the vents and duct-work.

Uphill Slow, Downhill Fast, Tonnage First, Safety Last!
post #12 of 15 Old 07-06-2020, 09:19 AM
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Chlorine bombs work well.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=chlorine+c...as&ia=shopping

They even remove dead body smell
NOTHING takes out cadaver smell!

I had a sweet '71 442 that I picked up super cheap because the guy that owned it had a heart attack and ran off the road. They didn't find him for 9 days. I junk yarded seats, new carpet AND padding and even changed out the dash. If you got in it after it sat in the sun closed you could still smell a kind of bad cheese and urine smell.
I had always heard about that mythical Corvette deal and thought it was just an urban legend. Not so much after I had one. I ended up selling it break even.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-09-2020, 11:44 PM
LJThatCould
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Cigg smoke odor is tough to get rid of totally. The smoke leaves a smelly residue on everything behind the dash, on the wiring and in the heater ducts.
There are duct cleaner sprays that can help neutralize any stink coming from the HVAC system.
+1

I used to be a heavy smoker and when I tried selling my first house my realtor received numerous complaints about the cigarette smell. I had stopped smoking in the house many weeks before putting it on the market. I cleaned the whole house from top to bottom, still had complaints. Hired some professionals to make it shine, still got complaints. Steam cleaned all the carpet, still got complaints. What finally worked was having the HVAC system cleaned (they also left some kind of smell neutralizer pellets/containers in the vents). No more complaints, finally sold the house.

"You think that stopped the Little [Jeep] That Could? No sir-ree. He just kept chuggin' along...."
post #14 of 15 Old 07-11-2020, 12:40 PM
Harv84

I had this same problem many years ago and nothing worked. But looks like you have better advice and suggestions compared to what I did, and I did a lot...please keep us updated if anything worked, I know someone who wants to sell a vehicle super cheap because of the smoke smell but I am reluctant to buy it.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-17-2020, 12:29 PM
Drix

1995 YJ Wrangler 

for carpets and cloth seats I boil water and use whatever brand carpet cleaner you prefer (mix after you boil the water) take it out in the hot pot mix the carpet cleaner in and pour directly into the fabric. I use my wet dry shop vac to pull it out almost immediately. wash rinse repeat a few times. this works best in the summer to help dry out the the bit you cant pull out with the vacuum. Then I sprayed Ozium directly on the fabric seal up for a few hours in the sun then open it up and let it finish drying.

This has worked for everything except the salmon that spilled into my rear seat.

95' YJ 4" lift 33"x12.5r15's D30/8.8 locked with 4:88's
USMC Jeep Club #6
"Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines."
Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in