The Big Trip - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The Big Trip

So, I will be embarking on a great journey this summer. I am probably going to get a whole bunch of lectures on why this is a bad idea and suchforth. Yeah yeah, I know, but this is the plan and I will be sticking to it as of right now.

So, with that being said, here is the plan. I am going to be going on a solo road/camping/hiking trip from my home town of San Antonio to the great state of Colorado. The plan is to go bare minimum with no hotels or anything like that for two weeks. Every night will be spent either in a tent off somewhere in the woods or the passenger seat of the loyal Jeep.

My reason for posting all this up here is I would love to get some ideas/feedback on open trails and hiking/camping locations. While stopped on the hiking portion of the trip, it will be two to three day little jaunts out into the woods with everything on my back. Nothing too extreme so it should not be very difficult.

I want to drive up and enter Colorado down by the South Western corner of the state and work my way up and around to exit the South East. Any advice, suggestions, concerns, questions, or requests please comment and let me know.

Thanks guys/gals!

Oh, and just so yall know, the trip is planned for June 18 - July 3. I have all the gear I will need due to backpacking trips but if there is anything that comes to mind please let me know!

Thanks again!

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Nick
2006 WK 

If you're going alone, get a satellite phone. No reason to risk your safety should you be out of cell range.

2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]

Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
post #3 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, I have a hand-held GPS to make sure I'm always on track and I hopefully will be borrowing the SAT phone from my friend for the two weeks. I do have a little solar panel to charge my normal cell phone while out on the trail.

Thanks for the advice, I'll for sure look into getting one!

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
post #4 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Nick
2006 WK 

I've got an uncle who is a retailer, but out here in SLC, so I'm probably not much help.

2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hemi Club Member 60

Quote:
post #5 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Every little thing helps! Does he have a website or anything?

post #6 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Nick
2006 WK 

http://skycallsatellite.com/

2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 |
Hemi Club Member 60

Quote:
post #7 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 PM
CACooper

1985 CJ7 

Davis mountains / McDonald observatory should be your first stop.

Thread Link:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthin
...I have tentatively decided I actually enjoy this Cooper-person. Deal with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Zona-
For some reason I keep underestimating you.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link Nick!

And the observatory is pretty sweet, my family and I went to one of the night shows when I was little. Thanks Cooper. Im hopefully going to get a map drawn up with all my stops fairly soon.

post #9 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 09:42 PM
jeepdavetj

1991 XJ Cherokee 

Pikes Peak?

I don't blame people for their mistakes, but I do expect they pay for them.

Ash from Army of Darkness
Quote:
Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?
post #10 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Noted, thanks man! Keep 'em coming!

post #11 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
87warrior

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Go through Pueblo, through Colorado Springs, through Cañon City and Gunnison, and wind up near the Taylor Reservoir.... Or you could turn north at Selida then head west toward St. Elmo and take Tincup Pass to the Taylor Reservoir area. Find Texas Creek and take the trail on the north side of the creek (FS 755) for the best trail side camping experience. Absolutely beautiful and near the Taylor Park trading post if you need fuel/food. Lost of stuff to explore in this area, including American Flag Mountain. Then go north on the gravel road (FS 742) and take Taylor Pass over to Aspen and you can get access to the highway.

My wife (at the time GF) and I did a similar trip a few year ago in my Rubi. Was a blast, but always found a place to camp, no sleeping in the Jeep. Find some spots you want to stop, and buy the Maps form the USFS and Latitude 40.

EDIT: You are going very early and the passes I mention will probably be snowed shut. Still an excellent camping location.

(Rubicon build)
(92/99 Comanche Project)
(Heavy Four)
post #12 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, thanks for all that info! Sounds great. I'll research everything and come up with a flexable plan of action. I'm already getting so excited for this it's crazy. Thanks again, I'll look up those trails.

ADDED: So those will probably still be shut? Any place to call or check online of their status before I depend apon them? And my good friend said to spend atleast one day hiking American Basin. Know anything about it?

post #13 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 PM
87warrior

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerJeep View Post
Wow, thanks for all that info! Sounds great. I'll research everything and come up with a flexable plan of action. I'm already getting so excited for this it's crazy. Thanks again, I'll look up those trails.

ADDED: So those will probably still be shut? Any place to call or check online of their status before I depend apon them? And my good friend said to spend atleast one day hiking American Basin. Know anything about it?
http://bushducks.com/tripreps/passopen.htm

I don't know much about the hiking. I did day trips on snow shoes when I lived in Vail, but other than that, I drove the Jeep. American Basin is in the San Juan area, around Ouray/Lake City/Silverton/Telluride. Lots of good trails to pick from out there: Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Stony Pass, Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass, Hurrican Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch.... Probably the most scenic part of CO, but fewer options as far as trail side camping availably.

(Rubicon build)
(92/99 Comanche Project)
(Heavy Four)
post #14 of 19 Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet. Yeah, I want the trip to be mostly the hiking/camping with some fun trails thrown between the stops. It should be a fun adventure.

post #15 of 19 Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bump. Anyone else have locations? Any and all input is wanted!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in