Appalachian Trail - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
KevinR
1983 CJ7 

Appalachian Trail

I'm planning on hiking the Appalachian trail with some friends this coming summer for around 10 days. Anyone have any suggestions as to what part to hike? Pointers on anything else?

Thanks
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 AM
jbolty
Administrator

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You will get lots of tips but start by reading this book, it has a little bit of good info but mostly it is hysterical.

http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Red...2898351&sr=1-4

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 AM
tennesseewj
2004 WJ 

I would start by reading other people's accounts of hiking the trail. You should get an idea of which areas interest you and will probably pick up some pointers on the way. Think about what time of year you'll be hiking and what kind of weather you want to see.

Some kids from my high school chose to graduate early (in December, rather than May) and spent their extra semester literally hiking the entire Appalachain Trail. Needless to say, they had some amazing stories and some incredible pictures.

2004 4.0 Selec-Trac
BB->Black Diamonds->General Grabbers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
You need to learn, there are 3 things that all JF members must like beside Jeeps:
(1) Guns (2) Women (3) Bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
I was bored so I forded the river. No oxen were lost.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 AM
trailblazer2003

Shenandoah Valley National Park is nice, but watch out for tourists and thruhikers. If you up for a bit of challenge than hit the Presidential Mtns in New Hampshire, probably my favorite part so far. There is a great hut system there and also shuttles available to get you around after your hike is complete. Here are some great websites to help you plan.

AMC
Whiteblaze.net
AT home page
AT Conservancy

Firefighters Jeep Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 10:17 AM
REDPILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
You will get lots of tips but start by reading this book, it has a little bit of good info but mostly it is hysterical.

I just read that book and it hilarious! It also gives some good advice on what not to pack and what to pack.LOL. Great book and a must read if you planning on hiking the Appalachian.

JC
post #6 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Juju
yay cartoons!

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post

xeleventy billion on this book. Even if you're not going to hike the Appalachian, read it. Anything by this guy is absolute gold (travel stuff).

To the OP:
Take lots (and I do mean lots) of practice hikes/weekend camps. Walk up stairs whenever you get the chance. Invest in good socks and shoes. Find out if you're allergic to iodine.

2000 Cherokee
It's an I6, 4.0, 2x4, automatic and completely stock, forest green Jeep.

Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. -Douglas Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman9089 View Post
Good lord man, the people don't serve the government, the government serves the people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike318 View Post
Women can never do anything wrong.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
KevinR
1983 CJ7 

Thanks guys, I hiked in New Mexico at Philmont with my Scout troop a couple years ago, so I have a little experience. My friends who I'm going with haven't much before, but we're all really into the outdoors. I've been doing some reading and looking at gear. I've got my pack and boots (they're Columbias and really comfortable, I'll look up the name and highly suggest them if anyone is in the market for some boots ) and now I'm looking for a good tent and a stove. http://www.brasslite.com/OrderForms/turbo2DOrder.html Any opinions on alcohol stoves? As far as a tent goes, I'm looking for one that sleeps 4. I have a Eureka Exo 1 and love it, but the Exo line only goes up to a 3 man tent. Any suggestions in that department?
post #8 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 01:28 PM
EagerJeeper

For ten days why not start in Georgia? That would keep it tidy.

Tell your buds to get their own tent. A four man tent will be too heavy for hiking.

I like canister stoves, and I own a Pocket Rocket by MSR. I would replace it if I lost it.

I've tried to like alcohol stoves but I just can't do it. If you want to know about them this is the best site.
http://www.minibulldesign.com/
And check out his YouTube section.
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=minibulldesign

www.whiteblaze.net is The Appalachian Trail forum. You can learn anything you want to know about the trail there.

I don't care for Bill Bryson. He's been compared to Patrick McManus. I like McManus, and unlike Bryson, it's ok if your kids read it. But you might like Bryson....

Join The NRA!
Vegetables are for when you run out of meat!
I find it odd that my spell checker always highlights Obama as a mistake!
post #9 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 01:34 PM
jerryjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The New England end can be pretty aggressive so I'd recommend starting in Shenandoah National Forest and heading South. 10 days will cover some beautiful scenery. My Son and I did encounter a bear and two cubs in Shenandoah so you have to keep extra alert in the spring. Read the guide books and get a map.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer2003 View Post
Shenandoah Valley National Park is nice, but watch out for tourists and thruhikers.
I did about 10 miles of it back in the mid 90's when I lived out there, just a little weekend outing, we went to the crab tree falls area, it was pretty cool. Did some repeling and some climbing as well, we had a great time.

Ken

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
post #11 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 03:38 PM
elmer_fud

1995 ZJ 

sounds like fun. Doing a couple of short hikes (friday thru sunday) is probably a good idea since the guys you are going with haven't been backpacking much. It also allows you to figure out what you forgot and what you don't need.

personally I prefer white gas stoves. It is what I am used to and the fuel is easier to find.

for tents I would get 2-2man tents. 1 person caries the poles and 1 caries the fabric.

as for where to go, I have no idea since I have never been to the eastern US. I like Canyonlands NP, San Raffel Swell, Lost Creek wilderness and several other places around here.

I think it would be neat to backpack the Colorado trail one of these days. It is something like 400 miles long and travels part way across the state.

Brian
95 ZJ, 5.2 V8,160,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 04:33 PM
ScotZ
American to the Bone

2004 WJ 

A friend of mine did the entire trail. Go to www.lustik.com Ask Joe anything you want. He and his wife Chris are GREAT people.

At least two-thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity: idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religous or political ideas.
- Aldous Huxley
post #13 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
KevinR
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for the input. Maine sounds awesome from the books, but I think I'll leave that for a later trip. I have one two man tent so getting the other one wouldn't be too expensive. The thing I like about the Exo is the fact that the rain fly is integrated into the tent. I'm tossing around the idea of using a tarp or two and making a tent that is roughly 9ft by 7ft. Two feet tall in the middle sloping down to about 1.5ft on the side edges. Kind of a modified A-frame with the rainfly integrated. My goal weight is under 7lbs. I figure that I can try this and at most be out $15 for tarps. 7 is heavier than a two man but we could distribute the food in a way to balance everything out. In my reading, some people cook by their tents and bring their packs in also. When I was in New Mexico, we cooked well away from the tents and always left the packs outside. We used bear bags also. Is this pretty much the same, for those of you who have been out East?
post #14 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 05:46 PM
EagerJeeper

Yes on the anti-bear activity.

Seven pounds for shelter is crazy. Google hiking tarps. There are plenty of ten by ten silicone coated nylon options that weigh a pound or two. You use your hiking poles for tent poles etc. You might google "sil nylon tarp". If you're more than 35 pounds on the AT you're heavy. Lots of guys keep it under 25lbs.

Tyvec house wrap makes a good ground cloth etc.

You've gotta think lighter.

Join The NRA!
Vegetables are for when you run out of meat!
I find it odd that my spell checker always highlights Obama as a mistake!
post #15 of 20 Old 01-25-2009, 06:55 PM
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

I hiked a couple of miles of the trail a couple of years ago. It was alot of fun. Its hard to believe a blind man did it.

Kyle - I mod stuff®
2005 Subaru Legacy GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in