1Likes
  • 1 Post By Indy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-12-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Anybody up on FFL regulations?

So I picked up a package at my local FFL dealer today and they insisted on keeping my original manufacture receipt that came with the package. No one has ever done this to me before and when I said I wanted it, they told me it's a federal regulation that they have to keep it. Seems odd to me and apparently google has never heard of this either. Do we have any FFL license holders here that can lend some insight?

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2019, 11:13 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I would say if they did the transfer then yes,legally the gun went to them first then to you.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 10:14 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

An FFL is required to keep a record of the purchase and disposition of the firearm in their bound book, but I've never heard of a requirement to keep the physical receipt from the factory. That may just be their store policy to have corroborating documents.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
I would say if they did the transfer then yes,legally the gun went to them first then to you.
If this is the case, then the FFL should give me a receipt showing what was purchased and the full amount paid, as opposed to the receipt they gave me for the $25 I paid for their services. It only makes sense for me to keep and file a company letterheaded receipt proving my tools are legally aquired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
An FFL is required to keep a record of the purchase and disposition of the firearm in their bound book, but I've never heard of a requirement to keep the physical receipt from the factory. That may just be their store policy to have corroborating documents.
This jibes with my feelings on the matter, but no need to lie and claim it's a federal regulation. If this shop intentionally tried to deceive me, it's time to take my business elsewhere. I've done business with them before but this is the first time they refused to turn over the original legal receipt for my new purchase.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #5 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 07:59 AM
Indy

The receipt for the purchase belongs to you. It's your documentation that you bought it. They need to document receiving the weapon and what it is, along with releasing it to you. If they have nothing to do with the purchase, they need no record of the purchase.
chris87xj likes this.

I'm the only gay eskimo.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-16-2019, 03:51 PM
NIUPonyBoy

2007 JK Wrangler 

As was stated it is not a federal regulation to keep the original receipt. They are required to show all documentation about the disposition of the weapon but it is your receipt for the purchase. Not theirs.

'15 Expedition EL, '12 Outback,'07 JK, '06 Mustang GT, '05 PowerWagon,'05 Freestar, '02 Yamaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in