Any Police or Sheriffs out there? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
RMFK13

1993 ZJ 

Any Police or Sheriffs out there?

The last couple years iv been looking into becoming an officer. So i decided to go back to highschool and get my GED... Now here all you need is a GED to become one, you also have to take a few tests... two written, an agility, and a swimming..

I was mainly wondering, what do the tests consist of, mainly the agility and swimming?

Any help with things i should know and things i should be able to do before doing this stuff would be of great help and appreciation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

19 and startin to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Kilrain
1979 CJ5 

Call whatever department's you are going to apply to and ask what, specifically, the tests consist of. They will probably have brochures that explain the entire process in detail, including the physical agility portion.
You could also try your state's P.O.S.T. or whatever they are called in Florida. They may be standardized tests that the state dictates.

My experience has been that most young and relatively healthy people don't have much trouble with the physical agility tests, they blow it on the written tests and particularly in the interview portion. Your mileage may vary.....

Good luck and in the mean time, get a little education under your belt at the local college. Go on some ride-a-longs. Talk to a bunch of different cops from a bunch of different agencies, that will help you get an idea of what you are really in for.
post #3 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 PM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'll be applying for Police Departments next year on my birthday, hopefully that lets them know im serious about it. I will keep track of this thread because i want to see what goes into the physical/written aspect.
post #4 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 01:18 PM
DiabloYJ

2004 WJ 

Check out Officer.com and look through their forums section for tons of helpful info, I lurk there quite frequently and it's a great place to pick up on a lot of info from seasoned officers, rookies and academy cadets alike.

They even have a local section by state and there are usually threads pertaining to different departments and the requirements that they have, etc. You will almost ALWAYS find individuals who are going through a particular academy or are in-processing for the academy at any given time and they can share their experiences thus far in the process of being hired, etc.

Becoming an LEO is a plan of mine as well and this site has already helped me greatly with some info and questions I needed answered.

"When Life starts to pass you by..............Downshift"
Then again that used to be my motto until I got the Jeep, now that doesn't even work half of the time.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
post #5 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 03:14 PM
helicase50

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Your state police website will usually give what they want and local usually falls similar.

Usually the physical is running, push-ups, pull-ups, sit ups. Just making sure you are physically fit with no problems.

I have only been to academy training days. Those however can be fun.

A big THANK YOU to AmbuGrl and Mudvain for upgrading me.

Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it.
Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahdactyl View Post
Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
Be Jealous
post #6 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 03:43 PM
pushead

You need to contact your county and see what they require. My neighbor just went through the whole process for Duval County. Every county here is diffrent. You can not become a cop in Duval with out a degree unless you already served 5 years a corrections officer. To become a corrections officer you pretty much have to take the same classes as a full officer. He was in training for a few months. No swimming was required. Test every week and long study hours. You can not fail one test. If you do you can have one make up test you have to pass. Then if you fail another test you are out. He said the toughest week was when they got to beat your butt for pretty much the whole week to teach you all the defese techniqes. Again this is for Duval. I know he said Miami-Dade did not have as tough of education requirments.

Its not a jeep if it dont have 4wd.
post #7 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
RMFK13

1993 ZJ 

today i almost blew it.... This county ou cant have a ticket and i got pulled over... for a a tag light bein out... but i just got a warning. thank goddddddd.

19 and startin to learn.
post #8 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Vindex_Injuriae

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely cruise by Officer.com, there's a ton of info & resources on there.

The tests vary by state & department requirements. Usually the written & physical are first. Most of the written tests are a general comprehension to ensure you can read, write and do basic math. Some are a common sense-type scenario based exam or video exam.
The agility tests vary widely and can include running, jumping, push-ups, sit-ups, obstacle courses, BMI taping, dummy drags, swimming, vehicle pushing, etc.
Outside that are the psych tests, poly or voice stress analysis, background, credit, driving history, etc.
A lot of work goes into it & it can take months to complete, depending on the agency. Usually the state agencies (Troopers/DNR) have a longer process than local LE. Also depends if they need people and how bad. We just went through a large hiring push (100+ officers) this year and they've been cranking recruits out at a ridiculous pace. Standards kinda drop when they're desperate to fill slots too....
Do whatever you can to set yourself apart from the crowd. Take classes, see if they have volunteer opportunities at the department, do ride a longs, whatever you can to make yourself and your goals known.

Sheriff's departments often start new hires in the jail as a correctional officer before they ever go to an academy - it's a weeding out process before they invest a bunch of money into training.

"Surprise, Speed, and Violence of Action"
05 Rubicon, 6spd, soft top, 265/75/16 Goodyear Authority's
96 K2500, Dual Ranchands & Warn M12000
08 VW Passat Komfort
00 HD Dyna Super Glide FXDX

AU
post #9 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Mark4883

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFK13 View Post
today i almost blew it.... This county ou cant have a ticket and i got pulled over... for a a tag light bein out... but i just got a warning. thank goddddddd.
Lol you can seriously be disqualified for a traffic ticket?
post #10 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Vindex_Injuriae

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Also - Many agencies are now looking at potential candidates Facebook/MySpace, etc. websites as part of the background. Pics of illegal acts, stupid a** stuff, potentially embarassing (for the agency) post or pics, racism, whatever else that might be in poor taste, can sink you before you even start. Just FYI....
We've lost people over those sights at my agency & quite a few LEO's have made the news nationwide over something they put on a personal webpage.

"Surprise, Speed, and Violence of Action"
05 Rubicon, 6spd, soft top, 265/75/16 Goodyear Authority's
96 K2500, Dual Ranchands & Warn M12000
08 VW Passat Komfort
00 HD Dyna Super Glide FXDX

AU
post #11 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Mark4883

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindex_Injuriae View Post
Also - Many agencies are now looking at potential candidates Facebook/MySpace, etc. websites as part of the background. Pics of illegal acts, stupid a** stuff, potentially embarassing (for the agency) post or pics, racism, whatever else that might be in poor taste, can sink you before you even start. Just FYI....
We've lost people over those sights at my agency & quite a few LEO's have made the news nationwide over something they put on a personal webpage.
^A good idea for everyone in any industry. Delete those ****ing pages, they only will cause trouble
post #12 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 10:53 PM
JRocker
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
good advice...i am a former
post #13 of 45 Old 12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
TheDodson
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I can speak from a little experience. As everybody else stated check with your local PD. Some PD's do a hire and then pay for your training and then again some of them won't even give you a second look without having your basic academy out of the way.

Make absolute sure it's what you want to do. Remember it is a lifestyle not a job, it's something that you as well as your whole family will have to live with. You can have some of the most rewarding experiences of your life from being a peace officer while others will haunt your dreams for the rest of your life.
The thing about being a peace officer is usually by the time you arrive on scene somebody is having the worst day of their life and all of their woes automatically rest on your shoulders to deal with. This can range from an auto accident, child abuse, domestic violence, rape, murder, suicide, delivering the news of a death to next of kin, etc.

It's not an easy life, just take a look at the statistics for police officers and divorce rates, it's absolutely astronomical. The two highest causes of death for an officer are Suicide, and heart attack. The latter typically induced by loads of stress with a dash of sedentary lifestyle. (Think about the time spent sittting in a cruiser, backed by the not so Ideal diet, followed up with a nice foot pursuit every now and then.)

All of that aside it's something you have to have in your blood. It's a very rewarding career when things are good, and the high you get after a big bust or other accomplishment is something said to rival the best narcotics in the world.

Please, please, please don't get into it for the wrong reasons. If the only reasons you are interested are to arrest, ticket, carry a gun, drive fast, or get an ego boost please refrain from applying. You have to really have the desire to put others before yourself to get any real satisfaction from it.

I'd also reccoment going to college before you apply. Reasons being some departments won't even hire you without a degree, while others you will get automatic/quicker advancement for having one.

Best of luck to you my friend and remember to take everything with a grain of salt!
post #14 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Chris_
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDodson View Post
The two highest causes of death for an officer are Suicide, and heart attack. The latter typically induced by loads of stress with a dash of sedentary lifestyle. (Think about the time spent sittting in a cruiser, backed by the not so Ideal diet, followed up with a nice foot pursuit every now and then.)
Suicide? Heart attacks? It's actually car accidents and gunfire.

'02 TJ X Apex Edition
'00 XJ Sport
post #15 of 45 Old 12-10-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
RMFK13

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4883 View Post
Lol you can seriously be disqualified for a traffic ticket?
Not completely but it hurts your chances.

Quote:
i never got into partying or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDodson View Post
I can speak from a little experience. As everybody else stated check with your local PD. Some PD's do a hire and then pay for your training and then again some of them won't even give you a second look without having your basic academy out of the way.

Make absolute sure it's what you want to do. Remember it is a lifestyle not a job, it's something that you as well as your whole family will have to live with. You can have some of the most rewarding experiences of your life from being a peace officer while others will haunt your dreams for the rest of your life.
The thing about being a peace officer is usually by the time you arrive on scene somebody is having the worst day of their life and all of their woes automatically rest on your shoulders to deal with. This can range from an auto accident, child abuse, domestic violence, rape, murder, suicide, delivering the news of a death to next of kin, etc.

It's not an easy life, just take a look at the statistics for police officers and divorce rates, it's absolutely astronomical. The two highest causes of death for an officer are Suicide, and heart attack. The latter typically induced by loads of stress with a dash of sedentary lifestyle. (Think about the time spent sittting in a cruiser, backed by the not so Ideal diet, followed up with a nice foot pursuit every now and then.)

All of that aside it's something you have to have in your blood. It's a very rewarding career when things are good, and the high you get after a big bust or other accomplishment is something said to rival the best narcotics in the world.

Please, please, please don't get into it for the wrong reasons. If the only reasons you are interested are to arrest, ticket, carry a gun, drive fast, or get an ego boost please refrain from applying. You have to really have the desire to put others before yourself to get any real satisfaction from it.

I'd also reccoment going to college before you apply. Reasons being some departments won't even hire you without a degree, while others you will get automatic/quicker advancement for having one.

Best of luck to you my friend and remember to take everything with a grain of salt!

Im getting into it mainly cause the people i have talked to said you need to be an officer for two years to get into swat, and id like to get into there as a sharp shooter.. i been into LR shooting for quite a few years now, i was thinking marines, or army, but i have a few friends from the military that said dont do it.

even if i decide not to go into swat i do want to be a cop, and not for stupid reasons... its somethin iv wanted to do for quite awhile now, i decided to go back to school because of it.

19 and startin to learn.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in