Advise Needed on Tires PLS - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-11-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
DsJeepohh

Advise Needed on Tires PLS

Hello,

I just put new tires on my Jeep and got a 3inch lift, its not driving the same I am not feeling the ride at the moment. I took it back to where the job was done and I found out the tires are MUD tires. Is it OKAY to drive these on the road, is this why it feels off?

Pls give me your feedback.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep1.jpg  

Last edited by DsJeepohh; 07-11-2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: want to add a pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-11-2019, 10:11 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

They are fine (and legal) to drive on the road. They are an off-roading tire, so they'll never give the same ride as a street tire...but you're all set for the trails as far as tires go. Whether or not they are your handling issue is hard to say. They will definitely feel different than the stock tires.

3" is a lot of lift for a JK, generally most folks like to stay at 2.5" or less for a number of reasons.
Not knowing what kind of lift it is and what all was done to the Jeep makes it impossible to guess what's going on...

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 10 Old 07-11-2019, 05:49 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

One thing I would definitely check is what your tire pressure is. People tend to over-inflate large tires. They should not be have as PSI as a stock size tire, it should be lower. Probably around 24-26 PSI. Never inflate them to the "max PSI" listed on the tire, your Jeep doesn't weigh enough for that much air in the tires.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #4 of 10 Old 07-11-2019, 06:53 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The suspension lift tends to reduce your front wheel caster so you lose some directional stability and lessen the return to center of the steering. Couple that with wider tires mounted on wheels that appear to have less backspacing, and it's easy to end up with a Jeep that can feel twitchy or wanders as you drive. Adding to the ride difference will be the replacement shocks that came with the lift kit -- many kit supplied hydraulic shocks are too soft in my opinion and leave the Jeep wallowing like a drunk rhino, while the gas shocks are often too stiff or the wrong length which leaves the Jeep riding like a dump truck.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 10 Old 07-12-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
DsJeepohh

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS!!! Being new at all this and having forums and support is GREAT!!

The lift I got was BDS.

They are recommending Hdyro 7000 Dual Stearing Stabilizer kit to make it better so I may get that to help me some. Any thoughts on this?..

Thank you all for your feedback they aligned it again and I think that has made a difference. I will def. keep in mind the air.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

If they are recommending a dual steering stabilizer, I would question their integrity as a shop. Let me guess....4Wheel Parts? They're trying to make a few extra bucks off you. A quality shop wouldn't even suggest this route.
A properly set up vehicle can drive fine without a steering stabilizer at all. NO vehicle should need a dual stabilizer for any reason, it's just covering up a bad suspension/steering setup. A single stabilizer should be adequate for any vehicle.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #7 of 10 Old 07-12-2019, 08:36 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
the trouble with those wheels and tire size, what are they 20" wheels. You wont be able to run a low psi, like 27psi+-3. the tire is a LOW profile on what i would bet is 10" wide wheel. That set up is for STREET performance. In a Jeep? its not a Porsche. People do this cause it looks COOL, not to me but its not my jeep.

If they do say a dual steering shocks is needed. THey know nothing about jeeps and are just looking to take your money. Well set up jeep wont even need one.

if the lift has adjustable arms? then you should be able to add caster, should be about 4.5* +.

The off set, or back space used. will change your SCRUB radius. This effects steering and how it handles.

a Lift of over 3" will make the drag link steep this makes steering twitchy. as well makes the ROLL center worse. To fix this you would need a FLIPPED drag link kit and a new raised axle track bar mount. this will lessen the angles by 3" and make Roll center and drag link much better.

Jeeps....

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-12-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
DsJeepohh

Thanks for your response, they are the TOYO 33x12.50R20/10 11Q Toy Open Country M/T with a 3inch lift
post #9 of 10 Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

The BDS 3" kit does not come with control arms unless you specifically add them. It just comes with cam bolts to adjust the caster. This is not the best way to handle this. At 3", you really should do adjustable lower control arms on the front at least and ditch the cam bolts. Did you add any of the control arm options to that kit?

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #10 of 10 Old 07-14-2019, 12:54 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

And THIS is how something simple turns into an ordeal
Welcome to Jeepland............

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in