What to take on a week long Colorado Jeep trip - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-23-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
hastingr
2013 JK Wrangler 

What to take on a week long Colorado Jeep trip

Hey peeps!
I will be taking my son (17), his friend (17) and an old college buddy (50) to colorado for some high altitude Jeeping.

We have a 2013 JKU, with 33" tires, XRC bumpers, and rock rails, but no winch yet. Will stick to intermediate trails and the like, but we will be traveling alone.

I think it would be wise to tag onto other groups as they pass through, safety in numbers kind of thing, but I want to ask some of you that have done that sort of expedition.

So, suggestions? What to take, and whether to connect with others while there, or would they just be a hinderance and a bother?
Specifically, one more question. Should I get a CB radio for commo?

We will be camping, mostly.

Richard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-24-2014, 04:39 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd go straight to the Ouray/Telluride/Ridgway area. There are plenty of trails and you'll see other Jeeps around for that safety in numbers. There is a federal campground right south of Ouray (Amphitheater), or the one at the Ridgway State Park, which I've stayed at both and would recommend.

You've got Imogene Pass, easy drive for any Jeep, and the Alipine Loop, Engineer Pass and the infamous Black Bear.

Or if you want to go to the center of the state around Buena Vista, I've been on Hancock Pass which takes you to the Alpine Tunnel (google it as it's a must see), Tincup, and Mount Zion.

All of these trails can be done on your own. You'll find that a week isn't enough time, but then there are always future trips.

P.S. Here are a couple of my previous trips as I usually go out there every other summer:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/j...012-a-1402669/
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f58/j...orado-1087964/ (Sorry, a bunch of photo links have expired.)

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #3 of 8 Old 07-07-2014, 02:50 PM
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like having a CB but it's mostly for talking with the people in my group. CB's don't usually have great range, particularly with tons of obstructions around you like mountains, canyons and trees.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-09-2014, 05:49 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Going with other people should not make or break your plans.

I've wheeled alone in Colorado and other places many times. I am not opposed to wheeling with other people - I do that regularly too -, but making plans contingent on others results in little accomplishment. I actually ran Black Bear Pass with a group of JK's. It was fun to meet and hang out with them for an afternoon, but it was just happenstance.

Maybe you could put out some feelers on a couple forums to see if others will be in the area. If so, great. If not, it shouldn't stop you.

CB's are handy. Much better than Walkie Talkies. If you'd planned on getting one anyway, now would be a good time.

97 TJ sport.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 AM
TexanTJ

2014 JK Wrangler 

Don't forget the basics:
first aid kit, basic antihistimines and OTC pain killers, firearm, knife, hatchet/axe, some MREs or emergency rations of food in the event of an emergency, extra socks, proper footwear for all parties, bug spray, drinking water or water purification device, tire plug/patch kit, flashlight, extra batteries.

Also always a safe idea to scout out and write down the nearest emergency medical facilities or ER to where you'll be camping.

2014 JKU Sport - Wife's Mall Crawler on 35s. Badlands Winch, 2" Coil Spacers, 1" PA BL
1999 F250 7.3 - 290K Miles and Counting
"I am not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance."
post #6 of 8 Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 PM
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

last month would have been a great time to get your HAM ticket. Colorado is covered in mountain top repeaters, a handheld 2 meter would cover you on almost all trails.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-15-2014, 12:42 PM
pentastarguy
2015 JK Wrangler 

plenty of waterproof matches and windproof lighter. fire can be used for warmth, cooking and signal. burn something wet fo plenty of smoke.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-18-2021, 08:02 AM
Udob

Garage
Three months ago, my wife and I went camping. She happened to drop her iPhone on a rock and smashed it. Our camping trip was ruined by this accident... After that experience, I decided to purchase this case and now I use it every time I hike to protect my phone.

Tags
colorado

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in