• 3 Post By grogie
  • 1 Post By Ross
  • 2 Post By grogie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-14-2020, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Randun

Garage
Roof Top Tent (RTT) Questions

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, and I'm so glad to be apart of it.

I have a question for all of you that will listen.

I'm thinking about getting a roof top tent (RTT). Do any of you have one? If so, what are the pros and cons of a RTT?

Thank you all so much for your time and your help!

Have fun out there!

Randun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-19-2020, 08:26 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randun View Post
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, and I'm so glad to be apart of it.

I have a question for all of you that will listen.

I'm thinking about getting a roof top tent (RTT). Do any of you have one? If so, what are the pros and cons of a RTT?

Thank you all so much for your time and your help!
Pros:
Cool pictures for your Facebook page.

Cons:
Reduces gas mileage
Makes you jeep top heavy
Probably won't fit into your garage and maybe oter low hanging places
Hits branches
Cramped
If you drink you will kill yourself on the ladder
If you are old you will kill yourself on the ladder because you drank and now you have to pee all night
And once you set up you can't take your Jeep anywhere.

Maybe on a trailer but noting I would want on my Jeep.
222Doc, JeepRonibo and Randun like this.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #3 of 11 Old 10-19-2020, 08:58 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I can not agree more with Ross on this one.

As well the tent " camp" is now only where you can park. No way to set up camp say out of the wind, level. Unless you use it a LOT. its just going sit up there like a Christmas decoration. They dont come off and on easy. They take longer to set up then any modern pack packing tent that only weighs from 6-10 pounds. That can hold 4 people easy.

We do jeep camping every year on the Big trails. IE; Dusy Ershem and Rubicon. That is the only time anymore i use a tent, other wise if my truck can make it with a slide in camper tows the jeep on its trailer and we all go Glamping. Hot water/ Ac room to stand, less ladder just a few steps.

Im to old and lame to use a roof top. As much as when i was a kid i loved tree forts and we had a few that were top notch. Even if i could i would not us a RTT. Fact is a GOOD back packing tent goes up in under 1 minute. Once you know how to stow it it goes back in the bag in a few minutes. Packed its small takes up little space. You can place that tent anywhere. if you say broke down out in no where. you could pack that out with you, try humping that RTT.

To me this is one of those "Ideas" that even though you can, why? Spend that same money on GOOD camping gear and go camping. Over-landing is so cliche. Maybe im to old but we called it back packing if You carried it and I have hiked a lot of the Sierras OR its car camping<the car humps the gear.
Dusy 2020. 2 door, two adults, two large dogs packed for up to 7 days water and food gear and tools parts.

Ross, JeepRonibo and Randun like this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-19-2020, 06:20 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I put a Tepui Ayer on a trailer, which yes, that means I have to tow a trailer. My trailer tows great and I can leave it at a campsite, however I have to be careful about where I take the trailer as I stay away from tight switchbacks and narrow shelf roads where others may have to pass me. Otherwise, the trailer is like a camping box that is always ready to go and it's been to multiple states and some scenic locations. (Build thread is in my signature.)

Anyway, about an RTT:
Advantages: Opens/closes within 8 minutes. Bedding stays inside. Super comfortable and I always sleep well. No need for cots (although I do have extra sleeping pads inside). Great air flow being off the ground. No wet bottom like a ground tent due to rain. Even just on a trailer it's like a tree house.

Disadvantages: Mine is a small RTT being on a lid that opens. I can sit up, but that's about it. The width is like a double-sized bed, but longer.

I'll add that it I was going to attach one to the roof of a vehicle, I'd make sure that I have a lift system setup in a garage to more easily remove it when needed.

This picture was taken at Alstrom Point which is up above Lake Powell on a ledge. It was very windy around sunset... we were warm and cozy inside. A ground tent might have been blown into the lake that was about 1,000 feet below us!

The next morning, I just closed it up, zipped up the cover, and drove away from one of the most awesome places to camp at.

Ross, JeepRonibo and Randun like this.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #5 of 11 Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
I put a Tepui Ayer on a trailer, which yes, that means I have to tow a trailer. My trailer tows great and I can leave it at a campsite, however I have to be careful about where I take the trailer as I stay away from tight switchbacks and narrow shelf roads where others may have to pass me. Otherwise, the trailer is like a camping box that is always ready to go and it's been to multiple states and some scenic locations. (Build thread is in my signature.)

Anyway, about an RTT:
Advantages: Opens/closes within 8 minutes. Bedding stays inside. Super comfortable and I always sleep well. No need for cots (although I do have extra sleeping pads inside). Great air flow being off the ground. No wet bottom like a ground tent due to rain. Even just on a trailer it's like a tree house.

Disadvantages: Mine is a small RTT being on a lid that opens. I can sit up, but that's about it. The width is like a double-sized bed, but longer.

I'll add that it I was going to attach one to the roof of a vehicle, I'd make sure that I have a lift system setup in a garage to more easily remove it when needed.

This picture was taken at Alstrom Point which is up above Lake Powell on a ledge. It was very windy around sunset... we were warm and cozy inside. A ground tent might have been blown into the lake that was about 1,000 feet below us!

The next morning, I just closed it up, zipped up the cover, and drove away from one of the most awesome places to camp at.

That is the way to do it. An issue we have my way, but doesn't appear to be a concern your way, is water crossings.

A little trailer with a closed in floor and sides can float. I have heard from a guy a group I used to go with that he experienced that issue, I did not witness it. I did see a good day bad bad towing a small boat across a deeper than expected water crossing.
Randun likes this.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #6 of 11 Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
That is the way to do it. An issue we have my way, but doesn't appear to be a concern your way, is water crossings.

A little trailer with a closed in floor and sides can float. I have heard from a guy a group I used to go with that he experienced that issue, I did not witness it. I did see a good day bad bad towing a small boat across a deeper than expected water crossing.
That would make for an interesting experience! My trailer is about 1100#s loaded... lite enough to tow behind a TJ.

I attempted to go to Alstrom Point once earlier, and Utah had had three days of rain and there was plenty of water in the crossing below. There was risk as there was a muddy washout on the other side and nothing to winch to, and no one around should I get stuck! So instead, we went and camped on Lake Powell's beach. Not as cool, but a neat time nonetheless!

This was the crossing the next attempt to Alstrom Point, which was easy to go through of course. The next day when we returned there was even less water.

Then along Lake Powell. Also, from inside the RTT, it was like we were in a boat hearing the water lap the beach during the night.

Ground tents are fine, but an RTT just has its benefits.
JeepRonibo and Randun like this.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #7 of 11 Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Randun

Garage
Quote:
Pros:
Cool pictures for your Facebook page.

Cons:
Reduces gas mileage
Makes you jeep top heavy
Probably won't fit into your garage and maybe oter low hanging places
Hits branches
Cramped
If you drink you will kill yourself on the ladder
If you are old you will kill yourself on the ladder because you drank and now you have to pee all night
And once you set up you can't take your Jeep anywhere.

Maybe on a trailer but noting I would want on my Jeep.

Thank you so much for your opinions. I really appreciate it.

I have measured my garage and it will fit.
I have experienced the ladders before too, and have never had an issue.
Also, I off-road with 8 other Jeep owners that have RTTs on their rigs. They take their RTTs everywhere and never have a problem.
A trailer set up with a RTT would be amazing, but it is not in the cards for me.

Thank you again!

Have fun out there!

Randun
post #8 of 11 Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Randun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I can not agree more with Ross on this one.

As well the tent " camp" is now only where you can park. No way to set up camp say out of the wind, level. Unless you use it a LOT. its just going sit up there like a Christmas decoration. They dont come off and on easy. They take longer to set up then any modern pack packing tent that only weighs from 6-10 pounds. That can hold 4 people easy.

We do jeep camping every year on the Big trails. IE; Dusy Ershem and Rubicon. That is the only time anymore i use a tent, other wise if my truck can make it with a slide in camper tows the jeep on its trailer and we all go Glamping. Hot water/ Ac room to stand, less ladder just a few steps.

Im to old and lame to use a roof top. As much as when i was a kid i loved tree forts and we had a few that were top notch. Even if i could i would not us a RTT. Fact is a GOOD back packing tent goes up in under 1 minute. Once you know how to stow it it goes back in the bag in a few minutes. Packed its small takes up little space. You can place that tent anywhere. if you say broke down out in no where. you could pack that out with you, try humping that RTT.

To me this is one of those "Ideas" that even though you can, why? Spend that same money on GOOD camping gear and go camping. Over-landing is so cliche. Maybe im to old but we called it back packing if You carried it and I have hiked a lot of the Sierras OR its car camping<the car humps the gear.
Dusy 2020. 2 door, two adults, two large dogs packed for up to 7 days water and food gear and tools parts.

What a beautiful set up you have. Thank you so much for the picture.

I have not experienced the issues that you bring up regarding RTTs, but I thank you so much for your opinions.

I too backpack in the Sierras, and off-road with a group quite frequently, and I think a RTT would be a great addition to my existing gear.

I am not as fortunate as you are to go "glamping" in a trailer, but if I had access to one I would love to use it part-time too.

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it.

Have fun out there!

Randun
post #9 of 11 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Randun

Garage
Quote:

Anyway, about an RTT:

What a beautiful set up you have. Your pictures are stunning too!

Thank you so much for your opinions on RTTs. I really appreciate it.

I have heard the same thing that you brought up about air flow and moisture reduction. This would really help out with my current ground tent set up.

I have looked into the lift system that you talk about. I think that is the way to go for sure.

Have fun out there!

Randun
post #10 of 11 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Randun

Garage
Quote:

What a beautiful set up you have! Thank you so much for the picture.

Have fun out there!

Randun
post #11 of 11 Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Randun

Garage
Quote:
That would make for an interesting experience! My trailer is about 1100#s loaded... lite enough to tow behind a TJ.

I attempted to go to Alstrom Point once earlier, and Utah had had three days of rain and there was plenty of water in the crossing below. There was risk as there was a muddy washout on the other side and nothing to winch to, and no one around should I get stuck! So instead, we went and camped on Lake Powell's beach. Not as cool, but a neat time nonetheless!

This was the crossing the next attempt to Alstrom Point, which was easy to go through of course. The next day when we returned there was even less water.

Then along Lake Powell. Also, from inside the RTT, it was like we were in a boat hearing the water lap the beach during the night.

Ground tents are fine, but an RTT just has its benefits.

What a relaxing way to camp!

Thank you so much for your opinions. I really appreciate it.

Have fun out there!

Randun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in