Recommendation on gun - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 10-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Scupper View Post
Yes, that is the story. I also wouldn't take the shot in a city park unless it was very remote and a back drop of some sort (all of which are highly unlikely). Without the "dead coyote" the woman will have to have rabies shots which now are given around the bite (so in this case in the face) instead of the stomach. Not sure if the number of shots are reduced from what they use to require.
I wouldn't take a shot at anything unless it was a current or continuing threat. If I had an animal that was a constant problem then I would shot it on site.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 10-28-2017, 10:51 AM
fastfreddie

Back country with potential threats as opposed to possible threats, CC wouldn't even enter my mind. I'd be carrying in the most readily accessible holster position possible. Since you're likely to be climbing over, under and around things, I don't think you'd want it hanging on your hip. Being it's likely to be heavy as handguns go, that's another reason to keep it off your belt...unless you also have suspenders.

If you really need it to be concealed, I would go with a shoulder holster under an open jacket/unbuttoned shirt.
Otherwise, an exposed tanker holster will hold just about anything. A tactical vest with a chest mounted holster offers other item carrying capacity or even a tactical leg holster provides quick access, but then you expose the gun to being beat up by the environment - falls, slips, climbing through rocks, etc.

Caliber?
How good of a shot will you and your wife be with it? One might think the biggest, baddest caliber out there is called for in this scenario.
What if you miss? Now it's a "get off me" gun that, if you're lucky, you'll be able to unload into the attacker's body at point blank.

Animals have sensitive nerves in the same spots humans do. In the nose and in the ribs right beneath the (fore)arms.
Even a .22 is gonna give a bear a second thought, giving you time to place more rounds in its sensitive areas. (Not that I'm suggesting it, but they are light.)
Want real assurance of doing damage but still keep the weapon wieldable? Go with a 45ACP.
9mm doesn't mean it's more wieldable than a heavier caliber. They have their own recoil characteristics, quick and snappy, particularly in a low weight platform that people like for CC. That may not be conducive to good follow-ups...same with calibers like .357, 10mm, etc.

Want to deliver the most damage possible?
Is your wife gonna be able to shoot that, repeatedly, before the threat is neutralized?
Hell, I won't even shoot hand cannons. The recovery time is ridiculous...not to mention the shear impact of the recoil possibly shying one away from wanting to squeeze that trigger again...and if you do so out of sheer fear, are you gonna hit anything?

Back country, you're likely to readily find all the big caliber ammo at local venues, if needed, but stay away from oddball calibers.

Brand/model?
Yes, general consensus is that revolvers are more reliable. Are they generally quicker to deliver accurate rapid fire? Basically a DA platform, I think not...unless you're the likes of Jerry M. with a custom gun.
What would you rather have when a mountain lion presents itself? Me? Semi-, all day long.
But first, it should not be a Glock or any other firearm with an exposed trigger safety as the only device preventing a trigger pull. You're likely gonna be negotiating brush...consider that to be a swarm of beggar kids reaching for your pockets. Even if the holster covers the trigger guard, there's enough access into that covered area for a twig or small branch to enter and leverage or pull against the trigger mechanism. Just no.

Otherwise, my answer to this question is the same for any consideration, which one fits the both of you best? Get it in the largest caliber your wife can handle.
My wife is petite...she has no issues with my 1911 either in her hand or from a recoil perspective. She's rather enthusiastic about the muzzle blast, too. For repeated range firing, I prefer to shoot the 1911 over my 9mm, but it's not as accurate. (Not many guns are compared to a P7.) My wife doesn't shoot my 9mm even tho' it's very manageable...it's just a little too quick.
(I wouldn't subject the P7 to potentially grubby surroundings. The 1911? Pfft, bury it in mud...it don't care and neither do I. The 1911 is almost a shoe-in for your application, but I'm hoping not to promote my bias. )

Whatever you get, clean it every day and check it during breaks.
...but be quick about it.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-29-2017, 03:45 PM
cody4359
1987 MJ Comanche 

I have a holster on the hip belt of my backpack and carry glock 26 there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 23 Old 03-30-2018, 11:35 AM
usnavy_233
2000 WJ 

Did you come up with anything definitive?

"He is Best; Who is Trained in the Severest School"
- General Thucydides, 434BC
post #20 of 23 Old 03-30-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Rusty Scupper
2016 JK Wrangler 

No, it has been on the back burner. With summer coming around it will be moved to the front. I am leaning on a .45semi with the understanding that it might not work out for the wife. It would be nice if my dad said, "try these but I want them back".
post #21 of 23 Old 04-02-2018, 11:37 AM
usnavy_233
2000 WJ 

Quote:
No, it has been on the back burner. With summer coming around it will be moved to the front. I am leaning on a .45semi with the understanding that it might not work out for the wife. It would be nice if my dad said, "try these but I want them back".

"He is Best; Who is Trained in the Severest School"
- General Thucydides, 434BC
post #22 of 23 Old 05-15-2018, 08:59 AM
mchkc240

Quote:
No, it has been on the back burner. With summer coming around it will be moved to the front. I am leaning on a .45semi with the understanding that it might not work out for the wife. It would be nice if my dad said, "try these but I want them back". [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG]
You want a .45 semi? You can take a look at the Smith and Wesson M&P shield 45. It is pretty small, light and holds 7+1 with the stock long mag. Obviously you can get extended magazine plates for a higher capacity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-15-2018, 08:27 PM
fishinpolejoe

I asked the guys at the pawn shop what would be the best caliber for defense against black bears. 10mm was their reply. They said .45 was too big and slow to penetrate a bear properly.
I CC a Glock 29 (10mm subcompact). I have owned and carried many other handguns. None have compared to my Glock 29. Ammo is more available than it used to be. A box of 50 round nosed target loads is around $25. A box of 20 hollow points is about the same price.
Recoil is not as bad as people make it out to be.
It is a little heavy/bulky for CC but I will say this: I owned a smaller/lighter/thinner XDS in .40 cal that was very comfortable to carry but I couldn't hit anything with it. The grip was so narrow that it would twist in my hand. The wider grip of the Glock 29 fills my hand better which gives me more control.
To give you some perspective, the 10mm is the same diameter bullet as a .40. The difference is that the 10mm uses the same length casing as the .45. The .40 uses the same length casing as a 9mm. It's basically a very hot .40 round which equals great penetration which is necessary on large animals such as bear or thick skinned animals like wild hogs.
That would be my suggestion to you. My second suggestion is that you buy a two hand guns. One for you and one for your wife. You may get seperated or simply not be together when the time comes. You could get caught with your pants down and she might have to come to the rescue or vice versa. I would not go up against bears with a .380 pr a 9mm simply because my wife couldn't handle something more powerful.
That's my .02.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in