Month Long Trans American Trail Trip (May 2016) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-12-2015, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Month Long Trans American Trail Trip (May 2016)

I am a college senior at York College of Pennsylvania. It has always been a dream of mine to drive across country via dirt roads and until recently I had no clue it was still possible. A few months back I came across a thread on this forum who had driven the Trans American Trail with his girlfriend and blogged the whole way across. To say the least it inspired me to do something similar. Recently I had an internship at Sony pictures back home in Los Angeles, and when I had down time, I created a blog website along with an Instagram “Freedom From Routine”. I’ve always been a firm believer that routine is the enemy of time; that if you get caught in a routine you’ll wake up one day and realize your 85 years old wondering where the hell all your time went. I realized this at a young age, but until recently it had never “clicked”.

My mom works for the Airlines, and when ever she would bring me to the airport for a flight, 9 times out of 10 when she had to choose between departures and arrivals she would go down to arrivals; where she goes every day to work. It was almost like she was in auto pilot mode. When I would bring this up, she would admit that she just goes into auto pilot when ever she goes to the airport. I think its important to do something different with your time. Whether that be something as small as leaving earlier for work and taking at new road or saving up quitting your job for a year and traveling around experiencing the simpler things in life.

Ive been planning this trip for a few months now and it is coming up super fast. I will be taking a month long expedition type trip across the country on the TAT, a dirt trail that runs from Nashville to Oregon then heading down Highway 1 back home to LA. My two buddies and I are currently building a small off-road trailer to pull behind my jeep so that i have a place to sleep and put all my stuff. When I have service or internet I plan on blogging the trip on my website in my signature and posting up on my Instagram page along the way. If you'd like to help support my trip give me a follow on my IG page http://www.instagram.com/freedom_from_routine/

Also If any of you guys have done this trail or have any advice for me in any way. Id appreciate all the help i could get!
Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-13-2015, 03:15 PM
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php

Been done and well covered. Do it , enjoy it. Don't waste time patting yourself on the back. Blogging about it =SNORE
post #3 of 20 Old 11-13-2015, 03:41 PM
jski701

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sounds awesome, can't wait to see how it goes.

I aint saying its right, but I understand......Chris Rock

My off road trailer build - M416 copy:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-16-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhulesAu View Post
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php

Been done and well covered. Do it , enjoy it. Don't waste time patting yourself on the back. Blogging about it =SNORE
Yeah thats how i got the idea. I enjoy blogging. Its nice to be able to read back on my experiences later down the road. Its more for my family than strangers who could care less anyways. Either way I'm stoked for it.

www.freedomfromroutine.com
post #5 of 20 Old 11-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Kuntryboy816

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nonsense! Go for it... I followed a fellow Jeepers blog as he hiked the AT. It was awesome to be ale to follow along, even if only in spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Until you know exactly what is underneath the, well, not really sure what to call them...mistakes...it's hard to come up with a plan of action.
post #6 of 20 Old 11-25-2015, 11:51 AM
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Best of luck! Enjoy I would look into a SPOT GPS locator. They allow you to send a message to family and or friends to let them know you are ok as well as a message that you are physically ok however you need emergency help. It also will let you send a message for emediate emergency assistance, and if you are inactive for a set period of time it can automatically send a distress message. I have friends that have one for there week, or two, backpacking trips and mountain climbing trips. They carry a ham radio as well.
Just a couple thoughts to ease moms mind.
We know how they can be, even when you 43!

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF
post #7 of 20 Old 11-26-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89YJBuilder View Post
Best of luck! Enjoy I would look into a SPOT GPS locator. They allow you to send a message to family and or friends to let them know you are ok as well as a message that you are physically ok however you need emergency help. It also will let you send a message for emediate emergency assistance, and if you are inactive for a set period of time it can automatically send a distress message. I have friends that have one for there week, or two, backpacking trips and mountain climbing trips. They carry a ham radio as well.
Just a couple thoughts to ease moms mind.
We know how they can be, even when you 43!
Haha yeah that may be a good idea. Definitely will look into one of them

It sure is coming up quick and its killing me!

post #8 of 20 Old 11-27-2015, 12:19 PM
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Will be looking for the blog. I wanted to do that trip for several years now. However my health will not allow it. I will experience it through you. I hope to see many photos.
Best of luck and God speed.

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF
post #9 of 20 Old 11-28-2015, 06:38 AM
bbacus

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The road less traveled is life well lived. Sounds great and have fun.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-30-2015, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89YJBuilder View Post
Will be looking for the blog. I wanted to do that trip for several years now. However my health will not allow it. I will experience it through you. I hope to see many photos.
Best of luck and God speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbacus View Post
The road less traveled is life well lived. Sounds great and have fun.
Thanks!

post #11 of 20 Old 12-05-2015, 02:53 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

When are you going? I'd be interested in the route and knowing when you go as I'd follow your progress. And how is the trailer coming along? (I've got one in my signature.)

I think it's a great idea to go out and explore. Once you get older life gets in the way, let me tell you. So do it!

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #12 of 20 Old 12-05-2015, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
When are you going? I'd be interested in the route and knowing when you go as I'd follow your progress. And how is the trailer coming along? (I've got one in my signature.)

I think it's a great idea to go out and explore. Once you get older life gets in the way, let me tell you. So do it!
I graduate May 14th so probably May 20th or so ill leave. The route runs the southern section basically Tennessee and straight West then diagonal up to Oregon.

The trailer is coming along only get to work on it once a week usually Saturday or Sunday so its a pretty slow build. but i just got the 35's on her and some of the braces up for the tub. Heres what she looks like after tonight!

Just looked at your trailer looks SWEET!!! You did a great job.
Attached Thumbnails
12346594_10207917410434357_3683214621834347660_n.jpg  

post #13 of 20 Old 12-06-2015, 08:26 AM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Sweet trailer you have going on... and on 35s!

Be sure to update this thread when you start your trip.

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #14 of 20 Old 12-06-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
dakota123
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! Will do!

post #15 of 20 Old 04-03-2016, 06:33 AM
jski701

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Almost time .... Hows it going ? Ready yet ? Hows the trailer ? I'm going to start mine soon, but I don't plan anything as heavy duty as yours, I want mine as light as possible, so its easy to pull on the beach..

I aint saying its right, but I understand......Chris Rock

My off road trailer build - M416 copy:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in