Home Made Camper - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
EagerJeeper

Home Made Camper

I am going to sell my pop up and convert a Cargo Craft enclosed trailer into a basic camper. I'll order the trailer 7' wide x 12' or 14' long. It depends on the weight. I want to keep it very light (<3000lbs) so I can tow it with my Unlimited Rubi. The side door will be built behind the axle, and one large rv window will be ordered in the side. I'll mount a roof air unit with heat strips on the ceiling, and I'll insulate it and skin it out with 3/8" bead board.

Then I'll build queen sized bunk beds in the front, and I'll put cabinets down one side and a couch on the other. With some basic wiring for lights and the a/c I should be good to go.

My goal is to create a unit that will sleep two adults and three kids, and that does not have to be set up or broken down. My pop up is a hassle when it's wet at break down time, and this should solve that problem too. Also I want to load it with the kids bikes, grill, etc.

I am not trying to create a mini house. I only want basic shelter and some climate control for sleeping.

I think I can do this for under 5k.

Has anyone ever done anything like this? I'd like any opinions on how to make this better, but not more complicated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 PM
JADM
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was at a camping and outdoor show a few weeks ago in Montreal and there was one or two enclosed cargo trailers that were converted for camping or hunting. The front was a kitchen and storage with a window, sink and stove. In the back there was two fold down beds and a removable table. Tha back door was a ramp and some ATV's could be driven in were the beds and table were. I guess one could carry other thing also like a Harley or something. There was a front door and it was about 5 X 12.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-08-2007, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
EagerJeeper

I've seen those. The beds are too small, they cost too much, and they are too heavy. They look good though.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-13-2007, 05:36 PM
bsruther

Why don't you just make a teardrop camper? There are free plans for them to be had on the net.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 AM
JADM
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was looking in to this Teardrop trailer thing. It's kinda cool.

They are cheap to make and plans are on this site. They even have a off-road section.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/
post #6 of 7 Old 04-02-2007, 04:55 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tin Can tourists is an organization primarily about vintage campers and trailers, but quite a few home-built people also hang out there.

www.tincantourists.com
post #7 of 7 Old 04-03-2007, 05:56 AM
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Another thing you need to bear in mind. WIND!!! you'll be pulling a box on wheels , with a box on wheels. A good cross wind and you'll be trying to change lanes. My trailer only comes up to the top of the body tub, but you can sure tell when there;s a cross wind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in