hog hunting suggestions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
oteps
1980 CJ5 

hog hunting suggestions

I want to go hog hunting. I live in pa but I dont mind traveling south, I was thinking s. carolina or georgia? I dont want to shoot one in a pen and I dont want to run them with dogs until they cant go anymore then shoot them. Is there anywhere on public ground that you guys know of that I can hunt? Archery and shotgun are fine. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 11:05 AM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

GON.com - 34 WMAs To Fill That Hog-Hunting Hunger - Georgia Outdoor News

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
oteps
1980 CJ5 

Thanks I will check that out. I am hungry for bacon.

post #4 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 02:11 PM
GroundAssault

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Go to a bar and hit on the biggest one you can find! lol

2006 Jeep Wrangler---SOLD!

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:
post #5 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 04:45 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I used to hog hunt in the bars when I was young/single and desperate. I have been married for 18 years now and do it in the woods so I won't get caught.

1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
post #6 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 PM
reddevils
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the gon.com mag is the way to go.i am from ga.this is a great magazine,look for an ad from anywhere down around abbeville,hawkinsville.there is some good public land in ga.pen hunting can be avoided with little trouble,not much of that goes on there,too many wild pigs.here is one of mine

if at first you don't succeed RELOAD.i carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
post #7 of 19 Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 PM
reddevils
1999 TJ Wrangler 

if you going hunting in the bars don't forget to put some corn in you pockets

if at first you don't succeed RELOAD.i carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
post #8 of 19 Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

Don't know about your area, I run dogs here but not how you described it. Our dogs put their mouths on the hogs and make em stop. They are full of energy and fight at that point. It isn't for the faint of heart. Here is a picture of the two from today's hunt to help keep ya motivated,

Yellow 02 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
post #9 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Indy

Dude. You're in CA, off road, with dead animals being drug behind your vehicle, assuming killed with a firearm and a beer in your hand. You're going to get lynched
post #10 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
oteps
1980 CJ5 

I am sure he put down his beer before he shot the pigs.
When is the best time of year to hunt the pigs in GA? What is best to use, bow, shot gun, rifle or pistol? Are they going to run me up a tree? The bow would be fun but I am not sure if I would like a couple hundred pound pig mad at me while I am trying to get another arrow on the rest.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

1. The guy in the picture hasnt had consumed an alcoholic beverage in 4 years, he is holding an O Douls can in his hand and I provided it.

2. My 13 yr old boy shot and killed the hog on the left.

3. Hogs will charge when threatened.

We had just finished killing the hog pictured on the right in the photo with my jeep. We were missing 2 dogs at the first hog bay and my son says he hears dogs barking. He took off running up the canyon. We all start up after him. Next thing I know the barking gets closer. Then I hear a gun shot followed by a thud. I look and my boy is 20 yards up from me. Then I hear him yell OH CRAP! Then I hear a second shot. Now I hear him yelling he is out of bullets. He is running backwards and the hog is chasing him inches from his crotch and he trips backwards over a bush. As we get close enough to help, I see the hog drop only inches from his feet. The dogs were trying to help out as well. Lucky for us the dogs pushed this hog right back to us. My boy had made a good shot (Winchester 44 cal Rifle) . He kept his cool and tested his nerves with the fine copper rounds we get to use. A thirteen year old doing it on his own upfront and personal.

He had shot the hog in the head from about 5 feet away, and the bullet did not penetrate the skull only left and indentation and about 1 1/2 inch square of skin missing. the second shot the hog was about 4 inches from his crotch and he shot the hog in the spine behind the head taking it out.

If I were hunting hogs in GA I would go before it gets so dang hot there. I hunt in Texas with a friend who lives there and its miserable when hot.

Yellow 02 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
post #12 of 19 Old 03-09-2010, 07:54 PM
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you plan to hunt hogs on GA. WMA's with a rifle or pistol, you will have to do it during deer season. You can hunt them during small game season there but you have to use small game weapons.

post #13 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Srgslaughterav

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I will be hunting with Oteps (op) when we find somewhere to go. I don't run well but can shoot good. I don't mind going face to face with one of those things. It can't be anyworse then some women ive been around! I wouldn't mind comming out to texas to hunt either maybe tenn even. I will be looking into some of the sugestions you guys gave. Is there any more info you can give us that would help us out? Maybe someone that would want to show us how to get it done? I can bring anything from a 375 ruger to a .17 but I don't think I would use the .17! We like to hunt and will hunt anything we are able too.

4" short arm lift, Anti rock sway bars front and rear. hard rock Front and rear bumbers, Warn 9.5ti winch,Undercover fab engine and tc skid,genright extreme gas tank, AtoZ Fabrication rocker guards, metal cloak fenders all around,JKS bar pin elminators, Viair Extreme Duty OBA system, Cobra CB, 37'' iroks on trailready beadlocks , NP231 Novak shifter tera low 4:1 with 2 low kit and SYE , CV ds, rockjock 3 front and rear dana60's with front and rear ARB with 4:88's.PSC hydro assist
post #14 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 09:43 AM
NoVaHunter

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hog hunting is a rush. Believe it or not, we have them here in VA so I get to go pretty often. We can hunt them year round here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHoff90 View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
post #15 of 19 Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Weavis

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Some of the best I've heard of and seen was out in Hawaii, but that may be a bit of a drive!!

"If you can't be good, be good at it!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in