JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Outdoor Recreation (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f68/)
-   -   Hammock (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f68/hammock-1340589/)

cwalker 03-09-2012 11:18 AM

Hammock

By hammock campers out there? If so...what's your set up?

cwalker 03-09-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwalker
By hammock campers out there? If so...what's your set up?

Ummm...meant...any...damn auto type..

cwalker 03-10-2012 05:14 PM

Really....no hammock campers??!!!!!

74Maverick 03-12-2012 11:43 PM

Lived in maui for 3 years in the jungle( dirt floor bamboo and tarp roof) a little over a year of that was spent in a hammock just the regular mexican blanket looking ones. The main tricks is to tie a guide string for rain water onto your lines and once every 3 weeks sleep inverted to straighten your back. (no joke)

cwalker 03-13-2012 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74Maverick
Lived in maui for 3 years in the jungle( dirt floor bamboo and tarp roof) a little over a year of that was spent in a hammock just the regular mexican blanket looking ones. The main tricks is to tie a guide string for rain water onto your lines and once every 3 weeks sleep inverted to straighten your back. (no joke)

I use the Hennessy hammocks, look them up they are bad ***!!! Down under quilt and top to match. I will never go back to a tent. Been using them for 3 years now. I can go down to 35*f and be warm. Love my backpack gear!!

ruggedscotsman 03-13-2012 09:01 AM

Big fan of the Hennessy ones....also had good sleeps in the older mayan style ones that will fit 2 people across the wide point

I've found the best way to keep you back straight is to use a sleeping pad inside the hammock and lie diagonally across the way.

cwalker 03-13-2012 09:30 AM

Yeah people don't believe me when I tell them I can lay flat in the hammock. All you have to do is lay diagonal to the center.

fundabug 03-13-2012 10:55 AM

I used to be into backpacking big time when I was younger. All through the Rockies, Smokeys, and all up and down the Appalachian Trail. I always carried one of the $6 roll up hammocks from Wal Mart in my pack. After a long day of hiking I'd hang that thing up and stretch out with my boots off getting a good rest in before starting dinner. Several times I was worried my packing buddies would take my hammock by force after seeing how much more comfortable it was than sitting on a rock. Pretty soon everyone of my backpacking friends had one. When the weather was good I would sleep in it at night with my therma-rest pad in it. One night however, I rolled out of it zipped up tight in my mummy bag, continued rolling down a steep hill and into a creek. The rest of the night was cold and wet to say the least. After that I slept in my tent and used the hammock just for a rest. Back when I worked third shift, some mornings I would get off work and go out to a nearby nature preserve, walk out to a shady spot deep in the woods. I would set up my hammock and sleep in the shade listening to the birds.

Radar_Sweden 05-21-2012 11:58 AM

Just bought me the Hennesy Deep Jungle to go with my Jeep.
Have not yet slept in it (received it today) but Im excited and it will most definitely be the fastet camp set up in my wheeling crew.

odyssey017 05-21-2012 12:08 PM

Taken Yesterday https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...36310896_n.jpg

cwalker 05-23-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar_Sweden
Just bought me the Hennesy Deep Jungle to go with my Jeep.
Have not yet slept in it (received it today) but Im excited and it will most definitely be the fastet camp set up in my wheeling crew.

They are nice, I have one. Opted for the jacks r better quilts though.

cwalker 05-23-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odyssey017
Taken Yesterday

Nice!

Tompatt 05-25-2012 01:37 PM

ENO Doublenest and Whoopie Slings for me. Best setup ever! Going to buy a bugnet soon.

cwalker 05-25-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tompatt
ENO Doublenest and Whoopie Slings for me. Best setup ever! Going to buy a bugnet soon.

ENO are very comfy! First hammock I bought. I have one for a lounger. I don't like the bug net design. If your backpacking / camping go with a Hennessy or warbonnet blackbird. Don't skimp, get down quilts. We, as a family 6 of us, will not go back to tents. Also, synch straps make it even easier!

CHEROKEE8 05-26-2012 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, eno for me as well. Bought it for backpacking, but now me & my lady use it for every camping trip from overnight to a week. Cool to see some hammock guys on jf.

Grt_Ape 05-27-2012 04:10 PM

I bring my ENO Doublenest whenever I go camping; if not to sleep in...then at least to lounge in. Even fits inside the jeep when the weather turns bad:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/IMG_3241.jpg

If I were looking for a backpacking setup, I would give serious consideration to a Warbonnet Blackbird. Sweet setup there.

blackhawk51 06-03-2012 07:50 PM

Looking into purchasing an ENO hammock for lounging around at the beach...where are you guys finding the best prices?

Grt_Ape 06-04-2012 07:38 AM

I buy most all my gear at Mountain Sports, a mom and pop store in Chico, CA. Not the cheapest, but you can not beat the service. :)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/IMG_2095.jpg
Yosemite :cheers2:

cwalker 06-06-2012 11:01 AM

I buy all of my gear from the mom and pop places. You get what you pay for. Jacks r better, Hennessy, war bonnet, arrowhead, ect......and they are more than willing to help in any way. Happy Hanging!!

Kerovick 06-14-2012 08:19 AM

I definitly want to try camping in a hammock.

bbenton 09-27-2013 11:04 AM

I am working with a team in a High School engineering project in which we are trying to create a camping hammock stand that is universal and can be attached to a vehicle or be used by itself. It would be a huge help if anyone could take this survey to give us some feedback on the subject. Thank you!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16CC...VCi99fkEsbWSg/

grogie 09-28-2013 06:48 PM

I also have an ENO Doublenest. It's awesome!

http://70.38.64.76/h/1/34fa16f1-ed5b...b99580bd4b.jpg

And with the wife joining me.

http://70.38.64.76/h/1/5fe84e5d-1cff...f403474a83.jpg

MountainMan864 09-28-2013 07:27 PM

ENO doublenest here too with the new atlas straps and tarp cover. North Carolina made!

Kuntryboy816 09-30-2013 06:11 AM

Another ENO hammock here. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years now. I only break out the tent when the wife and kids are with me. I'll see if I can find a pic of my setup.

TJROMPER 09-30-2013 06:19 AM

I use a Grand Trunk hammock and have no complaints at all, its very comfortable and the best part is that its about 1/3 the price of an Eno hammock.

JacoToTheB 10-16-2013 04:13 PM

I have a hobo hammock from bass pro. The biggest bass pro is down the road from me, I'm a lucky guy. It was $15-$20 and made from the parachute type material. I've taken it camping 4 times now and it has a couple burn holes in it from ash coming out of the fire. It still works great though! Very comfortable. Tie one end to a tree the other to my roof rack then move the jeep to make it tight. It cocoons around you and I put a tarp over it to keep bugs and water off me. I camped in the rain and didn't get wet at all. I recommend it!

Indy 10-17-2013 08:25 AM

Hammock camping right now sounds a lot like frozen dead guy hanging in a tree camping.

MountainMan864 10-17-2013 09:16 AM

Lol not with the proper setup

slickrocksteve 11-01-2013 02:00 PM

What do you do when you live in the desert like me??
NO trees, except the Joshua's, which are NOT strong enough to tie to.

Yeah, we can sleep in the horse trailer, but who wants to smell horse poop all night!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...sfornow069.jpg

Kuntryboy816 11-01-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickrocksteve

Yeah, we can sleep in the horse trailer, but who wants to smell horse poop all night!

Disconnect your tow vehicle and hang the hammock between the vehicle and the trailer.

Grt_Ape 11-01-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickrocksteve (Post 17351330)

Set your hang off the roll bars between two Jeeps. :cheers2:

MetalMountainGoat 11-15-2013 11:56 PM

I have an ENO double nest w/atlas straps, net, and a large rain fly...I liked the Hennessey hammocks, but they won't accomodate my fat *** too well. The ENO fits me perfect and was a little cheaper than the Hennesseys.

Richard_ 03-04-2014 08:26 PM

the ENO dbl nest looks cool , that is going in my pop up for sure

BrownSasquatch 03-10-2014 04:36 PM

Lol spent some time hammock camping this last summer. It was nice except I sucked at tying my knots or something and the hammock would slide down the trees and I'd wake up pretty much sleeping on the ground. Any advice on how to tie or if there's anything I should get to make it more secure

scottmphoto 03-12-2014 03:43 AM

Way back in 1981, one of my first adventures in the Boy Scouts (I was 10) was a 50-mile backpacking trip. I used a hammock then. It was one of the old net style ones. VERY uncomfortable. Back in 2010, we took our Boy Scout troop (I'm currently an Assistant Scoutmaster) on their first 50 mile canoe trip on the Buffalo National River in Arkansas. I know that we'd be sleeping on gravel and sand bars. I don't care how big of a tarp that you put down on the sand and how careful you are, you'll wake up in the morning with sand in places that you didn't even know that you can get sand into.
I decided that I wasn't going to go through that. I broke down and bought an ENO (Eagles Nest Outfitters) "Single Nest" hammock. That was THE best week of camping that I have ever been on. If it's warm enough, I always sleep in my hammock anymore if I can find a place to set it up when the troop goes camping.

aldonoward3 01-11-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grt_Ape (Post 13632418)
I bring my ENO Doublenest whenever I go camping; if not to sleep in...then at least to lounge in. Even fits inside the jeep when the weather turns bad:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/IMG_3241.jpg

If I were looking for a backpacking setup, I would give serious consideration to a Warbonnet Blackbird. Sweet setup there.

Dude, how to you have this mounted? Was it comfortable?

Indy 01-13-2015 10:12 AM

Since that post is 3 years old, I sure hope so. That's a lot of time to spend in an uncomfortable hammock.

Grt_Ape 07-28-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldonoward3 (Post 27642625)
Dude, how to you have this mounted? Was it comfortable?

Sorry about the delay in reply, I don't spend anywhere near as much time on JF as I used to.

I was playing around looking at options for weather protection with less crap to bring along. With the rear seat removed, and the front seats forward, it worked ok. The hammock was a bit long, and my backside ended up hitting the center console. The solution was to wrap the hammock around the roll bar at both ends to shorten things up and raise the hammock to the point I no longer made contact with the center console. I used wire gate carabiners that were larger than those that came with the hammock which made this method possible.

Once you were in the hammock it was comfortable. But without weight in the hammock it was very close to the hard top and made getting in and out a pain. As a result, I only did this a few times. You can see fromt he pic that this was taken in my garage and was the first trial fit.

I'm amazed at how frequently I come across that old picture all over the internet. My son uses the ENO now, and I have a Warbonnet Blackbird. The Blackbird is longer and won't work inside the LJ, but is easy enough to lash between jeeps with a tarp for weather protection.

bAUMER 05-10-2016 05:13 AM

My sister got me the Jammock for christmas. Havent used it camping but i sat in it comfortably. IDK how well I could sleep in it though

Kuntryboy816 05-11-2016 09:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
1st pic is airing out the setup and 2nd is my brother and I set up on the back 40... I believe this was 2014.

The time now is 10:49 PM.