Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hammock

21K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  aglemped 
#1 ·
By hammock campers out there? If so...what's your set up?

#4 ·
Lived in maui for 3 years in the jungle( dirt floor bamboo and tarp roof) a little over a year of that was spent in a hammock just the regular mexican blanket looking ones. The main tricks is to tie a guide string for rain water onto your lines and once every 3 weeks sleep inverted to straighten your back. (no joke)

#5 ·
74Maverick said:
Lived in maui for 3 years in the jungle( dirt floor bamboo and tarp roof) a little over a year of that was spent in a hammock just the regular mexican blanket looking ones. The main tricks is to tie a guide string for rain water onto your lines and once every 3 weeks sleep inverted to straighten your back. (no joke)
I use the Hennessy hammocks, look them up they are bad ***!!! Down under quilt and top to match. I will never go back to a tent. Been using them for 3 years now. I can go down to 35*f and be warm. Love my backpack gear!!

#8 ·
I used to be into backpacking big time when I was younger. All through the Rockies, Smokeys, and all up and down the Appalachian Trail. I always carried one of the $6 roll up hammocks from Wal Mart in my pack. After a long day of hiking I'd hang that thing up and stretch out with my boots off getting a good rest in before starting dinner. Several times I was worried my packing buddies would take my hammock by force after seeing how much more comfortable it was than sitting on a rock. Pretty soon everyone of my backpacking friends had one. When the weather was good I would sleep in it at night with my therma-rest pad in it. One night however, I rolled out of it zipped up tight in my mummy bag, continued rolling down a steep hill and into a creek. The rest of the night was cold and wet to say the least. After that I slept in my tent and used the hammock just for a rest. Back when I worked third shift, some mornings I would get off work and go out to a nearby nature preserve, walk out to a shady spot deep in the woods. I would set up my hammock and sleep in the shade listening to the birds.

#14 ·
Tompatt said:
ENO Doublenest and Whoopie Slings for me. Best setup ever! Going to buy a bugnet soon.
ENO are very comfy! First hammock I bought. I have one for a lounger. I don't like the bug net design. If your backpacking / camping go with a Hennessy or warbonnet blackbird. Don't skimp, get down quilts. We, as a family 6 of us, will not go back to tents. Also, synch straps make it even easier!

#16 ·
I bring my ENO Doublenest whenever I go camping; if not to sleep in...then at least to lounge in. Even fits inside the jeep when the weather turns bad:

If I were looking for a backpacking setup, I would give serious consideration to a Warbonnet Blackbird. Sweet setup there.

#26 ·
I have a hobo hammock from bass pro. The biggest bass pro is down the road from me, I'm a lucky guy. It was $15-$20 and made from the parachute type material. I've taken it camping 4 times now and it has a couple burn holes in it from ash coming out of the fire. It still works great though! Very comfortable. Tie one end to a tree the other to my roof rack then move the jeep to make it tight. It cocoons around you and I put a tarp over it to keep bugs and water off me. I camped in the rain and didn't get wet at all. I recommend it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.