good knives for cutting meat - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 11-14-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I got a chance to use the knife over the weekend and it worked great!!

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 11-16-2016, 05:09 AM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There are a lot of reasons why a boning knife is not the correct tool for thin cutting meat from a slab or steak. I won't bore you unless there is some push back.

But, the is is the correct tool from Victoinox:

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en//Cut...h/p/6.8003.15G

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)
post #18 of 27 Old 11-16-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
There are a lot of reasons why a boning knife is not the correct tool for thin cutting meat from a slab or steak. I won't bore you unless there is some push back.

But, the is is the correct tool from Victoinox:

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en//Cut...h/p/6.8003.15G

I am interested in hearing more. We did about 18 pound of jerky so far this season and will do more soon. The knife did do a great job but I am interested in anything to make it easier.

I couldn't get you linked to work but when I google swiss army jerky knife the one I purchased is the one that showed up.

I do have an eclectic slicer I want to try but usually the meat we use for jerky is smaller pieces that don't do well with the slicer.

post #19 of 27 Old 11-16-2016, 06:43 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A boning knife is made for sharp turns, rotating in small spaces and cutting tough material like connective tissue.

A chefs knife is for utility slicing, thin and flat.

The 6" Chefs knife is $42 at Amazon.

You'll love it.
Ross likes this.

post #20 of 27 Old 11-22-2016, 09:33 PM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppybreath View Post
If that's the style with a V shaped slot, it's major advantage is that it's convenient. It will put a usable edge on a knife, but you can get one much sharper with a good stone. If you always use a wood or plastic cutting board, you can normally keep it sharp with a pass or two on a stone every few uses. Cutting on glass or something hard like that will knock the edge off in no time
^^ this

definitely take the time to learn how to use a stone before spending cash on another knife. even a walmart knife can have a perfectly serviceable edge put on it, it just won't hold it as long as something with better steel.

that said... if you're trying to cut thin strips for jerky... you really want to be using a slicer, not a knife. you'll never go back.

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #21 of 27 Old 11-30-2016, 05:19 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A good butcher will thin slice a flank steak for you if you give enough advance notice so it doesn't involve a special cleaning after use on raw meat.
-----------------
As far as sharpening is concerned, the different methods take varying skill. And their use is for different conditions. After 50 years of meticulous attention, I can use all well. Most people can't. Professional knives are professionally sharpened. The order of difficulty is probably: most difficult two sided stone, then diamond and ceramic rods, steels, power grinding wheels, manual tungsten V scrapers. Steels are used harmlessly to straighten well sharpened edges.

Victorinox sells and recommends a tungsten V scraper. I think it is a toss up as to which system works best. Certainly a person who doesn't care as much about this as a sushi chef might care, can do a better job with a V scraper than a stone. Most users of stones are making nice rounded edges rather than razor edges. It is almost impossible to screw up an edge with a V scraper.

Here is what you want. On sale for $20:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Ha...inox+SHarpener

Finally, an almost frozen piece of meat is really easy to thin slice.

post #22 of 27 Old 12-02-2016, 10:50 PM
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
For thin slicing you want a slicer.
http://www.zwillingonline.com/carvingknife.html

I also use the Lanskey Diamond sharpenning set. A child could get a great edge with it. Not that I would let one sharpen a knife.
http://lansky.com/index.php/products...-stone-system/

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF
post #23 of 27 Old 12-03-2016, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Update:

Knife and sharpener working great. Processed three deer, probably 16lbs of jerky. My son also used it to skin a racoon.

I did ordered an electric sharpener with Diamond sharpen blades for my father in law for Christmas. I am excited to try that out.

post #24 of 27 Old 12-03-2016, 03:52 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Update:

Knife and sharpener working great. Processed three deer, probably 16lbs of jerky. My son also used it to skin a racoon.

I did ordered an electric sharpener with Diamond sharpen blades for my father in law for Christmas. I am excited to try that out.
Ross: You are at it big time with the deer and whatnot. I bet that boning knife helped you work through those odd muscles in a deer. Its been a long time since I tackled a whole animal, but I know it was good to have a thick, unbreakable boning knife to separate joints and get though tendon and small bones. And, the excellent flexible boning knife you posted above is probably a joy to work with on the softer areas.

My jerky experience is limited to flat slicing of butcher shop cuts. Not very exciting.

Finally, your diamond sharpener re-sets the blade and removes material with every pass, so you may want to use it sparingly, and straighten blades a few times with a steel between grindings.

Best!
Ross likes this.

post #25 of 27 Old 12-03-2016, 03:56 PM
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
For hunting care I use Knives of Alaska 3 knife set. It is awesome!

https://www.knivesofalaska.com/item....Fc%3D4%26p%3D3

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF
post #26 of 27 Old 12-08-2016, 12:11 PM
Kuntryboy816

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
My wife bought me this Cutco knife a few years back. I absolutely love it! The rubberized grip being larger fits my big bear paws pretty well. I haven't yet used it on any fish big enough to exceed the adjustable blade length @ 9". I've used it on small game such as geese and rabbits and it work pretty well for those.

https://www.cutco.com/products/produ...75yps87a744bfw
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Sport View Post
Until you know exactly what is underneath the, well, not really sure what to call them...mistakes...it's hard to come up with a plan of action.
post #27 of 27 Old 12-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Ross I've used a Buck Filleting knife for years for cutting meat and it works pretty good but that Swiss knife looks even better. I may order one myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in