Camping Equipment - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Black Hills TJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Camping Equipment

Looking for some reasonably light camping gear. Nothing ultralight, but light enough that I can pack up and hike somewhere to setup camp. Right now I have my eye on the Eureka Apex 2XT tent. I could squish 3 people in it if I absolutely had to, and I really like the enclosed vestibule. For 125 bucks it seems like a quality product for a very reasonable price.

As far as bags go, I'm not sure. I'm looking for ~20* bag. Trying to keep the price around or below $100. What do you think of the Marmot Wizard and Marmot Sorcerer bags? Is the Wizard worth the extra cash?

Marmot Wizard
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...Bag-Mummy.html

Marmot Sorceror
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3...tic-Mummy.html

I just picked up a Princeton Tec Yukon HL headlamp for 30 bucks shipped. I love steepandcheap. This headlamp is wicked awesome, and for less than half price...I couldn't resist.

I don't currently need a little stove, but it would be nice to have. The little Whisperlite multifuels look like good stoves. It will get occasional use, but not all the time. What would you suggest as far as a good stove on a tight budget?

I was browsing my local Cabela's and saw a Gerber folding saw. Looked like it had an 8-12" blade on it. I've used small Gerber saws before, and they worked really well. I think this one was only $20. Do any of you have experience with Gerber's small folding saws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenwr
My mouth still has funky taste in it, so I am doin alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 PM
default_user

You are better off going with a down bag rather than synthetic. It is lighter and more compressible, thus easier to pack and carry. Down tends to be a bit more expensive, but is definitely worth it. Keep an eye on steepandcheap, I picked up a $300.00 bag for $115.00. Also make sure you get a sleeping mat. The closed cell foam or self-inflating types tend to be a matter of personal preference. You want to have one to insulate you from the ground and it does make of a more comfortable experience.

Last edited by default_user; 08-14-2009 at 10:55 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 PM
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I never went on steep and cheap before. How does this work? There is just one thing to buy at a time? How often does it change? Once a day or what? I could get addicted to something like that

post #4 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 PM
default_user

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
I never went on steep and cheap before. How does this work? There is just one thing to buy at a time? How often does it change? Once a day or what? I could get addicted to something like that
They run deals about every 20 minutes. They are affiliated with backcountry.com and will put up some of the items they want to move out of inventory. They tend to repeat deals periodically throughout the day, so if you miss one just keep an eye out. You can also set up desktop alerts to keep up with deals as they update.
post #5 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 11:15 PM
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

oh no.....every 20 min? This could get ugly...hahahaha... I feel myself getting sucked in as I type.

Hello... My name is Matt and I am a future steep and cheap addict
post #6 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 PM
default_user

Hello Matt
post #7 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well from my short analysis, short and cheap are actually good deals, however sierra trading seems to be average and things you can google or grab off amazon or ebay for cheaper. But yea I wanted that Marmot jacket but holy crap that sold out fast.
post #8 of 18 Old 08-14-2009, 11:32 PM
default_user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
But yea I wanted that Marmot jacket but holy crap that sold out fast.
it may pop up again today...that's how they get you
post #9 of 18 Old 08-15-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Black Hills TJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeepguy View Post
You are better off going with a down bag rather than synthetic. It is lighter and more compressible, thus easier to pack and carry. Down tends to be a bit more expensive, but is definitely worth it. Keep an eye on steepandcheap, I picked up a $300.00 bag for $115.00. Also make sure you get a sleeping mat. The closed cell foam or self-inflating types tend to be a matter of personal preference. You want to have one to insulate you from the ground and it does make of a more comfortable experience.
Thanks for the tip. Down is a lot lighter, but like you said...quite a bit more expensive. I've been looking around for a 20* down bag, but its tough to get one near 100. Which bag did you get from SAC?

Regarding steep and cheap...start a new thread for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenwr
My mouth still has funky taste in it, so I am doin alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #10 of 18 Old 08-15-2009, 01:26 AM
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I want the sunglasses that are on there right now.
post #11 of 18 Old 08-15-2009, 09:48 AM
default_user

I got the Big Agnes Crater down bag

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/out...gree-Down.html
post #12 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 AM
jnagel32
2007 JK Wrangler 

I got the Kelty Light Year Ultralight 20 Degree Long Sleeping Bag from Sportsmansguide for $160. It is pretty good. I like Kelty products. High quality and cheaper in price than other brands. I tried to go as light as possible with my equipment, but not break the bank at the same time. I do a lot of backpacking. I've hiked mostly in Pennsylvania, but have hiked in Nevada and Alaska also. Here is what I use and it has worked out great for me.

Kelty Trekker 3950 cu in. $111.96 Sportsmansguide.com
Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Tent $93.95 Campinggeardepot.com
Kelty Light Year Ultralight 20 Degree Long Sleeping Bag $159.97 Sportsmansguide.com
MSR Pocket Rocket Stove $35.96 Backcountry.com
GSI Ultralight Dualist Cook System $44.96 Backcountry.com
Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Sleeping Pad $24.95 Backcountry.com

I absolutely love the Pocket Rocket. It is a great little stove. It fits nicely in the GSI UL dualist cook set too.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeepguy View Post
big agnes FTW

I have 2 big agnes tents 2 big agnes bags and 2 big agnes pads

they make awesome quality stuff and have the most comfortable bags and pads I have ever slept on. I would rather sleep in my down bag on my pad then on my bed. It is awesome!

go buy a big agnes bag NOW!

-Matt

post #14 of 18 Old 09-19-2009, 09:27 PM
AO1

2013 JK Wrangler 

You need a Gerber Kit, I bout it about 3 years ago I think you can still get them but it is a nylon brief case that hold a hatchet, folding 8in saw, 2D cell mag light, multi-tool, and folding shovel. It is a must have for my camping. All for about 200 bucks.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I dont think ive ever gone camping where ive needed to cut a tree down. Id say have an axe at the most, all you really need is a flashlight, knife, tent, food and booze. Unless youre doing some extreme outdoorsman things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in