WK Tuners - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 90grandoneer

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-13-2019, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
3Recon
2009 WK 

WK Tuners

Hi everyone just want to hear what your running, fairly new to forum and to my 2009 but, thought I'd rise this (may have missed link) question about folks who have plugged into the service of a programmer. I have a 2009 Grand with a 4.7L gas(non-flex) and I'm using an Banks AutoMind 2. First couple things I noticed when installed was the more responsive throttle (wireless) and the exhaust tone. Like a lot of programmers it's a OBD II reader, Data Logging capable and along being able to set some advance settings like gear ratio, tire sizes, fan temp, rev limiter and adjust shift points to name a few. more then I'll be using for a while. All this while being able to reinstall your stock setting. Now if you do mention your 4.7L (hope you do) and how your tuning it please mention years 2005-2007 (8 plug) or 2008-2010 (16 plug) currently I'm using the Sport 87 setting.
Third time timing to post lets see it works this time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 06:53 AM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I went with the customizable version of the diablo predator for my 08 4.7. I wanted to be able to disable all the check engine lights associated with running catless. You used to be able to do that yourself with the diablos, but those features have been disabled, likely due to emissions laws etc.

So I got a tune from Hemi Fever tuning in addition to the diablo tunes. Can’t say I notice much difference in power, but drivability has been pretty good. Still feel like I need to give it a lot of gas pedal to get it to downshift but it’s better than it was.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 08:20 AM
Kman09JGC

2016 WK 

Garage
When I had my 09 4.7 Laredo with QD. I ran Superchipís 91 performance tune with the transmission app. Really woke up the 4.7. Damn I miss that jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09 laredo 28x 4.7 w/QD2 Superchip w/91 perf tune w/ trans app, jet 180 tstat,K&N CAI, bistein 5100 struts and shocks, srt8 front and rear swaybars, 255/65/17 General Grabber at2's.
Black WK Club #107

post #4 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 02:05 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbrjason View Post
I went with the customizable version of the diablo predator for my 08 4.7. I wanted to be able to disable all the check engine lights associated with running catless. You used to be able to do that yourself with the diablos, but those features have been disabled, likely due to emissions laws etc.

So I got a tune from Hemi Fever tuning in addition to the diablo tunes. Canít say I notice much difference in power, but drivability has been pretty good. Still feel like I need to give it a lot of gas pedal to get it to downshift but itís better than it was.
I've never heard of the Banks AutoMind 2, but it sounds like a pretty good diagnostic tool with a tuner built into it. Sounds like it has some of the functions of a lot of the other ones on the market, but combined in one unit.

Rtbrjason, you're right, they removed all of the features that modified any of the emission controls....cat removal, EGR, etc. The older Superchips Tuners with the Advanced Transmission Tuning Application (ATT), like Kman09JGC said, will allow you full control over all up/down shift schedules and torque management settings. The only tuner that will allow you to do all of the things you mentioned for your 08 is an HP Tuner. You're lucky too, because yours is an 08 and can do it all with the HPT and not need both. On my 06, on which the 545RFE is not covered by the HPT (began with 07 and up), I had to go with the Superchips with the ATT App. to mod. the transmission and the HPT for the engine.

To give you an idea of how well it works, I have my light throttle up shift schedules all set for about 2400 RPM > (so the engine never lugs) and, from third or fourth below about 45 mph, I can grab first gear, and from fourth or fifth I can grab second gear from abut 65 and below. All torque management is removed except for first gear. Just yesterday, I don't usually do this, but I blew off a newer (2016-2018 or so) 5.7 GC Overland with the 365 hp., VVT 5.7 engine and 8 speed transmission, but only because I could grab first from about 35 mph. Stock, your probably in third by then. He also punched it before I did, but I drove by him in short order and was easily pulling away from about 55 on up. I will say the newer ones run pretty good though.....kinda surprised me.

I also have the NAG1 transmissions in my two LX's set up almost the exact same way using the HPT. IMO, the only way to go.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 08:18 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Interesting info. I didn’t go with hptuners because of ocd and lack of 4.7 tuning knowledge. I used to tune turbo Subaru’s. After purchasing a 2008 legacy gt spec b new in 07, I spent 9 years and 100k miles data logging, analyzing and adjusting the tune. I don’t really want to do that again.

How would hptuners work with my current setup? Just connect to the Jeep, download the current state of the ecu (with Hemi fever tune) and make adjustments to the shift points from there? Hopefully without messing up and/or interfering with the Hemi fever tune?
post #6 of 15 Old 12-15-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
3Recon
2009 WK 

Question was ask to name a few more things and capability of the AutoMinder 2 . but first I was looking for something plug n play but, also able to input commands.
Spark advance set, Manual transmission skip shift, Auto T. shift Points and shift pressure, MSD Disable, Rev and speed limiter, Tire size and Axle/Gear ratio sorry for the repeat. Like I mentioned I may get threw some of them over time.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-15-2019, 06:19 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Interesting info. I didn’t go with hptuners because of ocd and lack of 4.7 tuning knowledge. I used to tune turbo Subaru’s. After purchasing a 2008 legacy gt spec b new in 07, I spent 9 years and 100k miles data logging, analyzing and adjusting the tune. I don’t really want to do that again.

How would hptuners work with my current setup? Just connect to the Jeep, download the current state of the ecu (with Hemi fever tune) and make adjustments to the shift points from there? Hopefully without messing up and/or interfering with the Hemi fever tune?
I don't have DOC (or is it OCD?) but I've been tuning cars for well over 50 years and I can say that the HP Tuner is a whole different ball game. Any time I want to do something with it, I have to do at least a week's worth of research and HP forum reading (and most don't know that much anyway) and then start experimenting....one step at a time and back everything up. On my LX's, it took me about 2 weeks to get the transmission set up the way I wanted it on my 05 5.7 with the Mopar Transmission Control Unit (MTCM). My 06 300C SRT8 still has the stock TCM in it, and tried loading the setup off the 05 (same exact transmission....just different type TCM's) onto the 300 and it didn't work worth a crap. It over-revs the rev limiter, almost no matter what I try. I've been tinkering with it off and on for 3-4 months and still don't have it exactly the way I want it. In the Spring, since I have and extra laying around, I'll probably install a MTCM and try the 05 settings again. The Jeep, with the Superchips ATT App. was easier, mostly because it uses engine RPM for shift points, whereas the HPT uses transmission output shaft RPM. Still, on the Jeep, I found the easiest way to do it (and kind of understand what you're doing) is to graph everything....stock up/down shift schedules and also the ones you're planning to install. On it, I got it real close on the first try and then, after that, just had minor tweaking to get it the way I want it. For a few years after doing the Jeep, once in a while I'd tweak things a little more depending on my desires at the time. I haven't messed with it for at least a couple years now. I've been running pretty much the same set up for about 10 years now without any issues.

The HPT should work fine on yours and, some of the big name DCX/FCA tuners are on the HPT forums and tend to offer help to those of us that become lost in the technology. I'll also say that, even then I have trouble with some of it......histograms, charts, unfamiliar acronymns/tune settings, etc. Overall, I've had my HPT for about 2.5 years now and have used it on all 3 of my Hemi's. For engine stuff, I start with the Diablosport 93 tune and do tweaks on the things I want slightly different. I don't make drastic changes to the engine settings though. The transmissions on all of them was the main reason I wanted it, as all of the stock settings are pretty much for soccer moms, IMO. Getting the transmissions set up correctly, brings them all to life.....plus it help prolong transmission life when taking away the slip and increasing shift firmness.

Also, FYI, the engine settings and transmission settings are separate and you can update/change either one independently or do them together. For instance, I have to go into the engine settings and change the engine rev. limiter (fuel cutoff), and to the transmission converter RPM cutoff and slip %ages. In a way, it really kind of interesting, but can be easy to get "wrapped around the axle" if trying to make too many changes all at once......been there, done that.

06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, AFE Air Filter, 6spd 545RFE, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS and HP tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam w/6* advance/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's. Also 05 Hemi LX modded exactly like WK and Comp Cammed 06 300CSRT8.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-17-2019, 11:09 AM
CALO93
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post
I've never heard of the Banks AutoMind 2, but it sounds like a pretty good diagnostic tool with a tuner built into it. Sounds like it has some of the functions of a lot of the other ones on the market, but combined in one unit.

Rtbrjason, you're right, they removed all of the features that modified any of the emission controls....cat removal, EGR, etc. The older Superchips Tuners with the Advanced Transmission Tuning Application (ATT), like Kman09JGC said, will allow you full control over all up/down shift schedules and torque management settings. The only tuner that will allow you to do all of the things you mentioned for your 08 is an HP Tuner. You're lucky too, because yours is an 08 and can do it all with the HPT and not need both. On my 06, on which the 545RFE is not covered by the HPT (began with 07 and up), I had to go with the Superchips with the ATT App. to mod. the transmission and the HPT for the engine.

To give you an idea of how well it works, I have my light throttle up shift schedules all set for about 2400 RPM > (so the engine never lugs) and, from third or fourth below about 45 mph, I can grab first gear, and from fourth or fifth I can grab second gear from abut 65 and below. All torque management is removed except for first gear. Just yesterday, I don't usually do this, but I blew off a newer (2016-2018 or so) 5.7 GC Overland with the 365 hp., VVT 5.7 engine and 8 speed transmission, but only because I could grab first from about 35 mph. Stock, your probably in third by then. He also punched it before I did, but I drove by him in short order and was easily pulling away from about 55 on up. I will say the newer ones run pretty good though.....kinda surprised me.

I also have the NAG1 transmissions in my two LX's set up almost the exact same way using the HPT. IMO, the only way to go.

Holy Smokes Grandoneer, I have a 06 and would love to do what you described and got off the soccer mom transmission points. What would you recommend I purchase, a older tuner or a newer model?

2000 TJ, 33x12.50 MTZs on 15x10 wheels

2006 WK Hemi, Volant
post #9 of 15 Old 12-17-2019, 02:47 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

It's my understanding that the newer Superchips Tuners have added some pre-programmed shift schedules and torque management settings. I think they took the "do it yourself" part out because too many folks were screwing everything up.....which could be easy to do, especially if you get the up and downshift schedules totally out of sync with each other. That's why I graphed both the stock and "new" settings to begin with. The torque management settings are a no brainer though....just change the %ages.

A couple years ago, I wanted to tweak my settings a little and the SC ATT App. malfunctioned and I lost all my settings. By the way, IMO, the stock settings really suck compared to the way mine work. Anyway, I got hooked up with a good tech. at Superchips and he worked with me for probably a week and a half to get everything back to the way it was originally. That's how I found out about the pre-programmed settings. He must have had me download at least a half dozen different programs until we hit on the original that I had. Since I kept all of my settings, I loaded them back up and haven't touched it since. If I had an 07 or later, it wouldn't be a problem because I could then do it all with the HP Tuner. Several folks with the HPT have inquired about adding the 05-06's, but they are not planning to do it. I've even entertained the idea of putting a later model PCM/TCM in the 06, but I have since discovered that it checks VIN numbers more so than the year of the PCM/TCM.

You may want to contact the Superchips folks (Superchips and Diablosport are now both owned by the same company) and see if you can find out just how extensive their transmission user programming is. You can also contact KOLAK, a vendor on this forum, and see if he can get you more information too.

Good luck on your hunt and please let us know what you find out.
CALO93 likes this.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-17-2019, 06:44 PM
Stomper9
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90grandoneer View Post

HPT recently came out with JTECH support and some other additions I think they cover all years of GC now.

Integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-17-2019, 08:02 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomper9 View Post
HPT recently came out with JTECH support and some other additions I think they cover all years of GC now.
Thanks. I'll check for updates and see if there are any. I also have the latest Beta version loaded, but haven't checked to see if includes the TCM.

post #12 of 15 Old 12-17-2019, 11:13 PM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

I’m going to grab hptuners and use it in conjunction with my already loaded Hemi fever tune if I can.

Will I need separate credits to flash the ecu and tcu, or are all the parameters part of the ecu?

I’m hoping to find a cheaper v1 since it seems to works with the 05-10 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-18-2019, 09:26 AM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Iím going to grab hptuners and use it in conjunction with my already loaded Hemi fever tune if I can.

Will I need separate credits to flash the ecu and tcu, or are all the parameters part of the ecu?

Iím hoping to find a cheaper v1 since it seems to works with the 05-10 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Using in conjunction with the Hemifever tune will work fine. Just be sure to do a read FIRST and keep his original tune.....both engine and transmission.
You won't need any more credits than the ones (8) that come with the tuner. With my 3 Hemi's, I've only used 6 and still have 2 of the original ones left. You'll use 2 credits and it'll cover both engine, transmission, diagnostics, custom gauges (you can set them up any way you want) for monitoring whatever you want. Oh, this will all occur on a laptop computer that you'll have to buy if you don't already have one. I picked up a new, fairly inexpensive one that I use solely for the HPT. One caution if you're going to buy a new one.....make sure it has a big enough hard drive. Mine has only 30 GB and it works fine, but I don't have enough room left on it to do Windows 10 updates.....which doesn't really bother me though, LOL.

post #14 of 15 Old 12-18-2019, 11:03 AM
Rtbrjason

2008 WK 

Thanks. I’m looking at a used v1 to purchase with 0 credits. Good to know I should only need 2.

I’m hoping to read with the tune flashed , use the diablo to put it back to stock, then read the stock tune as well. At that point I’d probably consider getting rid of the diablo.

I did have a tuning only laptop but it’s really dated at this point. Hoping to use my MacBook in conjunction with windows 10 to do this.

Are you willing and/or able to provide any screenshots of your transmission settings/tables?
post #15 of 15 Old 12-18-2019, 01:30 PM
90grandoneer

2006 WK 

Quote:
Thanks. I’m looking at a used v1 to purchase with 0 credits. Good to know I should only need 2.

I’m hoping to read with the tune flashed , use the diablo to put it back to stock, then read the stock tune as well. At that point I’d probably consider getting rid of the diablo.

I did have a tuning only laptop but it’s really dated at this point. Hoping to use my MacBook in conjunction with windows 10 to do this.

Are you willing and/or able to provide any screenshots of your transmission settings/tables?
That's exactly what you need to do. You may want to wait a bit before you get rid of the Diablosport though, as you may still find it useful for some things that either aren't covered (chassis/body) by the HPT or are easier to do with the DS than the HPT.

I was lucky with both the DS and the Superchips for my Hemi Magnum. I took the DS back to stock and then reloaded the modified DS tune and transmission settings using the HPT. I then took the DS over to my 300C SRT8 and, after updating, loaded it into it for my base tune. Then I started doing my little tweaks to it. I had also changed the gears in Maggie and the DS took the new ratio away when I removed the tune and the HPT showed it loading and changing the ratio, but it wasn't actually doing it for some reason. I then had to take my SC tuner for Maggie and change the ratio with it and now all is well again. I could tell it wasn't working with the HPT when it kept going into limp mode a setting a P0713 code. They may have fixed the HPT with a newer update (or the Beta I have now), but I haven't even looked or messed with it again. I figure, if it's all working the way it's suppose to, I'll just leave it alone.

I can't give you a screen shot because the HPT won't read or modify the transmission settings on the 05-06's. When I get some time, I'll have to go out and see if the new Beta version for the HPT will now read it. I'll try to do it before long, as I need to raise the idle RPM by about 50 RPM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in