WK Transmission cooler and air conditioning condenser - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-23-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
suzieque
2008 WK 

WK Transmission cooler and air conditioning condenser

my understanding is that the OEM WK automatic transmission cooler and air conditioning condenser are in the same physical unit.

in looking at pictures of the OEM WK automatic transmission cooler and air conditioning condenser, I see 4 connectors. 2 connectors at the top right (when facing the vehicle) and 2 connectors in the middle right.

I believe the top 2 connectors on the right are the transmission lines, can anyone confirm that for me?

Also, if the top 2 connectors on the right are the transmission lines, can anyone confirm that the transmission fluid only circulates through about the top 1/3 of the physical cooler?

Attached Images

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2017, 05:29 PM
Nejeep
2019 WK 

The top 2 connectors are for the trans cooling lines. I would say the area is less than 1/3 of the total. It appears to me its just 2 tubes (over and back), but seems to work well as the ambient air going thru the WK cooler is always at a lower temp than the engine coolant (180F+) used in many other vehicles.

19 Limited 4x4 3.6 White/Tan new daily driver
06 Laredo for 11 years
97 Laredo for 14 years
post #3 of 6 Old 01-23-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
suzieque
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nejeep View Post
The top 2 connectors are for the trans cooling lines. I would say the area is less than 1/3 of the total. It appears to me its just 2 tubes (over and back), but seems to work well as the ambient air going thru the WK cooler is always at a lower temp than the engine coolant (180F+) used in many other vehicles.
thanks for the reply!

in my towing experience in the summer, the single physical unit gets very hot with the air conditioning running and towing my travel trailer, transmission well over 200 degrees as measured by the aftermarket guage, I had to shut down my air conditioning to bring my transmission back down to 200. Well over 200 is to hot for the safety of my tranmission - in my opinion.

so, I'm going to do an experiment and post my results to the team.

my experiment is to get another physical OEM unit, chop the top half off and put my tranny lines to this shorter unit just in front of the unmodded stock unit thereby putting the tranny cooling and air conditioning in 2 separate physical units. That way, the air conditioning will not affect my transmission.

if there's not enough free play in the tranny lines, I will cut the unit in place so that they are separate.

2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)

post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2017, 06:08 AM
Nejeep
2019 WK 

It seems to me it would be easier to purchase an aftermarket trans cooler and mount it, than to modify a factory unit (maybe less costly too). However if you have access to a used low cost condenser and enjoy reworking things (like I do) give it a go .

19 Limited 4x4 3.6 White/Tan new daily driver
06 Laredo for 11 years
97 Laredo for 14 years
post #5 of 6 Old 01-25-2017, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
suzieque
2008 WK 

I will post back pics when I do it and my tranny temp while towing.

post #6 of 6 Old 07-23-2019, 07:19 AM
Canadianjeepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieque View Post
I will post back pics when I do it and my tranny temp while towing.

Old thread, I know...but looking to see if you ended up adding a it, and how towing went?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in