Wk shake after being in 4wd low - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-30-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Smith3973

Wk shake after being in 4wd low

Its snowing like crazy here in Minnesota and i came across someone in the ditch so i decided to pull over and help them out. I had to pull into the ditch to attach the strap to both of the vehicles so i wanted to use 4wd low. I pulled them up and out with ease at a slow speed. When i was done and ready to head home i put the jeep in neutral and toggled the T handle to put it back in 4high, the 4wd Low light went away and traction control turned back on. When i went to drive away it felt like it was still maybe in low, i felt the truck shake a bit so i slowed down and pulled over. Put it back in neutral and waited a few seconds then back in drive and i was on my way with no issues and back to smooth driving. 4wd high is working just fine and 4wd low worked just fine it was just that little episode that worried me. Was the t- case just lagging and i should have maybe waited longer after turning low off? Btw the jeep is a 2006 wk with 4.7l and QT2 With 234,000 miles. I maintain this thing meticulously. It has a 2” lift and 255/75/17 bf goodrich mud terrain km’s. And ideas would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-01-2019, 09:00 PM
yzjwk

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith3973 View Post
Its snowing like crazy here in Minnesota and i came across someone in the ditch so i decided to pull over and help them out. I had to pull into the ditch to attach the strap to both of the vehicles so i wanted to use 4wd low. I pulled them up and out with ease at a slow speed. When i was done and ready to head home i put the jeep in neutral and toggled the T handle to put it back in 4high, the 4wd Low light went away and traction control turned back on. When i went to drive away it felt like it was still maybe in low, i felt the truck shake a bit so i slowed down and pulled over. Put it back in neutral and waited a few seconds then back in drive and i was on my way with no issues and back to smooth driving. 4wd high is working just fine and 4wd low worked just fine it was just that little episode that worried me. Was the t- case just lagging and i should have maybe waited longer after turning low off? Btw the jeep is a 2006 wk with 4.7l and QT2 With 234,000 miles. I maintain this thing meticulously. It has a 2 lift and 255/75/17 bf goodrich mud terrain kms. And ideas would be appreciated!
The only thing I can suggest is, your not supposed to be at a dead stop when shifting in and out of 4low . Gearing is not synchronized. You should get a check shift procedure warning if it failed but you never know.

5 and counting :05 WK 5.7 HEMI
90 YJ Islander 4.2L
94 ZJ Ltd 5.2 ,00 WJ 4.0
2010 MK Patriot
post #3 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 06:16 PM
SteveROntario

I would check codes and see if you have a bad wheel speed sensor, etc.

2013 Civic, 2009 Suzuki DRZ-400SM, 2008.5 Grand Cherokee CRD, 1991 Dodge B250, 1934 Hupmobile 417W

post #4 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
The only thing I can suggest is, your not supposed to be at a dead stop when shifting in and out of 4low . Gearing is not synchronized. You should get a check shift procedure warning if it failed but you never know.
The WK is pretty good about shifting at a dead stop. Owners manual says 0-3mph. You wont get a check shift procedure when moving too slow, but for sure you will moving too fast.

Neutral - 0 to 3mph - pull up on the handle until the shift happens and the lights either stay on and you are in 4 low, or the lights go out and you are in 4 high - then release the handle. I shift in and out very often and have never had an issue.

The transfer case wont shift if it failed to when commanded. It doesn't sit on the command for later. It will do the shift or give you the aforementioned "check shift procedure" in the cluster. There is potential there was something weird that happened with a shift back into drive at the perfect time just a little early... I would drive it and not worry about it if all is well right now. If you are really concerned, go out and do the proper shift procedure (paragraph above) a few times and make sure it shifts and works right each time.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #5 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Smith3973

Must have been just a weird phenomenon. I went out and shifted in and out of 4low from stopped then a slow roll and everything worked just fine. I thing i got paranoid since she has 234,000 miles on her! But still running strong! I appreciate the input guys. I was not aware that you could shift into 4low from 0-3mph, always thought you had to be at a dead stop
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 05:25 AM
Dacaur

2006 WK 

Yea, I always thought the 0-3mph thing was funny. Generally when I'm going into 4lo I'm in terrain such that if I let off the gas at 3mph ill come to an immediate stop....

06 WK Limited, 4.7, 2"lift 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
Past jeeps: 03WJ, 99WJ, 99XJ, 92YJ, 92XJ, 85XJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in