• 1 Post By 2005JGC
  • 1 Post By Vertisce21
  • 1 Post By 99sajeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-16-2021, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

WK rear sunroof drains

Can someone please indicate where the rear sunroof drains exit the body? is it before or after the rear wheel and is it visible externally or buried in a channel ?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-16-2021, 06:44 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
It goes down behind the rear door and dumps into a cavity. You cannot access the bottom of the drain tube.

To blow them out, I remove the B and C pillar trim, stuff my hands up above the headliner and pull the drain tube off of the sunroof assembly. Then I use compressed air to gently blow air down the tube. Gently because you don't want to pop the tube before an obstruction (aka, likely somewhere that will end up leaking into the cabin) by stuffing 100psi of compressed air down it with nowhere to go. There was a tech bulletin about plugged rear drain tubes. They filled the cavity it goes down into with expanding foam and the foam restricted the line in some cases. Since you cannot get to the end of the hose to blow crap up, you will never blow something through the restriction if it doesn't fit. The fix was running new rear drain tube lines and you put the holes on the back side of the rear wheel wells.
T1m likes this.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #3 of 11 Old 06-16-2021, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Thank you kindly, great info.

A few questions if I may. Are the drain grommets accessible from the interior? Also how do you remove the B pillar trim, I took out the little square cover, but saw no scew like on the c pillar? Any tips?

post #4 of 11 Old 06-16-2021, 07:51 PM
Vertisce21

Wait...there's rear drain tubes too?! Damnit...I thought it was just the front tubes. This may explain why my issue hasn't been resolved.
2005JGC likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-16-2021, 09:19 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Without running out and taking a quick gander, its totally slipping my mind what the front looks like. Pretty sure its a cover that pops off the top seatbelt mount then you have to use a T55 to unbolt the mount from the slider and then its just clips and pulls off... When I take a look I will update if I am wrong.

To be honest, I am pretty sure with just the C pillar trim and pull the door seal that overlaps the headliner some and it will pull down enough you can get your hand up there. Now that I am thinking about it, I am pretty sure this was what I did last time. Once you get the hose off, its long enough that you can pull it over to the edge of the headliner where you have better access to do whatever activities you had planned for it.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #6 of 11 Old 06-17-2021, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce21 View Post
Wait...there's rear drain tubes too?! Damnit...I thought it was just the front tubes. This may explain why my issue hasn't been resolved.

What a PIA job. Just as 2005JGC described, the rear drains run down the C pillar (inside) and down a narrow gap between the leading edge of the rear wheel fender between the inner and outer fender. And yes, they are encased in expanding foam. There is no way to get to the end point and the foam glues in the lower half of the drain tube.

Since my headliner was tough to get enough of a gap to get my hands in there to reach the drain tube at the sunroof, I chose instead to remove the rear quarter trim panel. This is fairly easily done, 2 screws and a few edge clips. Start by removing the door sill plate and work up the wheel arch side, removing the upper C panel and then unclip the area in the cargo bay, where you will see 2 Phillips screws that also must be removed. If you have a 12v outlet in the rear, once you move the panel slightly out of the way that can be disconnected, and remove the side panel altogether. With the area exposed, remove the seat belt retractor, 1x T50 bolt and then peel away the rubber baffling. With the hole exposed, you can now see the rear drain line. I chose to cut it at this location so that I could blow it out both upwards to the sunroof and downwards to the drain hole. Luckily, there were no physical obstructions. Someone mentioned that it sounds like a Moose call, and sure enough it does, regardless of which end the air is blown thru. I had silicone tubing that was a tight fit to slip over the drain tubing to recouple the two halves together. Also leaves you a service port for future maintenance as needed.

I'm pretty sure most folks who tackle sunroof draining issues only do the front pair and may leave the rears clogged. All sunroofs that I have dealt with over the years have 4 drains, 1 on each corner, but the rears almost always go down the c-C pillar, and are nearly impossible to see from inside the sunroof assembly with the sunroof open. Luckily in MOST cars, unlike Jeep, the drain end point is accessible under the chassis. Why the chose the route they did vs running the drain port after the rear wheel arch, as mentioned in the fix, is beyond me.

Thanks to 2005JGC for all your help, very informative, and my drains are now....hopefully, ready for the torrential rain storms we get in South FL.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2021, 11:45 AM
Vertisce21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzrokee View Post
I'm pretty sure most folks who tackle sunroof draining issues only do the front pair and may leave the rears clogged.
Yeah...I had no idea the rear ones existed. My issue is that the front ones are clear and work fine but water still fills up and leakes over in the front area. My suspicion now is that the two front ones by themselves are not enough to deal with the amount of water leaking in and with the rear ones clogged, causes an overflow in the front.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2021, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce21 View Post
Yeah...I had no idea the rear ones existed. My issue is that the front ones are clear and work fine but water still fills up and leakes over in the front area. My suspicion now is that the two front ones by themselves are not enough to deal with the amount of water leaking in and with the rear ones clogged, causes an overflow in the front.

That could be your cause. From Mercedes at least and I would imagine all other manufacturers, the sunroof drain tray, and drain lines, are sized based on the maximum amount of leakage from the sunroof seal, plus a margin of error to account for partial seal failure etc. That means that all 4 drains working at peak efficiency, should be able to handle a tray full of water. Conversely, if you live in an area, where the maximum load of water penetration is tested frequently, not having 4 properly working drains will manifest themselves thru leaks..

In my case, all 4 drains were draining. The 2 rears were clear, the front 2 were partially blocked. For 3 months of light to moderate rain, no leaks. After a 3 hour period of intense rainfall, a summer normalcy for my region, and at least 24 oz of water entered the cabin, pouring in out of the upper grab handle holes and cabin lighting center console as I was driving. Luckily, no visible headliner leaks in the rear tray, but as the volume of water swept forward while stopping it overwhelmed the mostly obstructed front drains and spilled in. Your case could be the same but in reverse.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-26-2021, 03:33 PM
GCDaddy

2005 WK 

I saw on a Youtube video where a guy got some string trimmer line and used that as a snake to clear the drain lines. Doesn't seem like it would be able to damage the lines since it is just rigid enough to let you push it through and maybe unclog a small clog. Anyone ever try this or is it bad advice?
post #10 of 11 Old 06-26-2021, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Benzrokee
2008 WK 

Yes, you can use trimmer line to clear the drains. The font drains are accessible with the sunroof open. The rears are obscured and not accessible via the sunroof opening. The front drains exit the body in the footwells just behind the side kick panels, should you need to access that end.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-02-2021, 01:36 PM
99sajeep

2005 WK 

I went thru the process of tracking down what I thought was a sunroof leak almost 3 yrs ago. It wasn't the sunroof. But I did get a pretty good picture of the inside of the WK's cabin with the headliner out. For those of you looking for a visual location of the rear sunroof drains, see this post from one of my threads: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/...l#post40340027

If you look at that first pic at the top of the C-pillar and just above the side-curtain airbags, you'll see a black hose that goes from the C-pillar to the back of the sunroof. That is the drain tubes.

In the above listed thread, go down to post #41 and I give a pretty good description of how to remove the headliner also.
Benzrokee likes this.

'05 WK 4x4 Ltd 5.7L (mine) 245k+ club
'01 WJ 4x4 Laredo 4.7L (daughter)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in