• 1 Post By klb67pgh
  • 1 Post By klb67pgh
  • 1 Post By LouC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-21-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
klb67pgh

Garage
WK with JL wheels?

I just acquired a stock 09 WK Overland with the Hemi 5.7, black with saddle brown interior. I want a taller tire than the factory 60 series and am inclined to go with new take off JL Sahara wheels (255/70/18) and 1/4" spacers and new longer wheel studs, no lift. I have found exactly 1 post asking about JL wheels on a WK and no pictures or other confirmation they, like JK wheels, will work. I found a few threads confirming the above tire and spacer combination should work. Does anyone have JL wheels on their WK? I've attached a C+ effort at photoshopping the JL wheels on-they probably are not quite as large as shown. Edit - I added a better photoshop that more accurately shows the JL wheel size on the WK. I can't figure out how to delete the other pic.

I owned an 04 GC from new to 190K miles before sending it on to its final owner and am excited to have a jeep again.

Attached Images

thearborbarber likes this.

Last edited by klb67pgh; 12-21-2019 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added better photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-21-2019, 08:21 AM
nvrdone

now that's an interesting question. the first thing i'd do is go on line and check the difference in size between your current tires and the new ones. then if you can test fit the new wheels before you buy them, do that. look for interference at the brake caliper and at the pinch weld in the rear of the fender. good luck. they should look good on that rig.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-21-2019, 08:43 AM
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The JL wheels are 5x5.5
You will need adapters. They will likely be 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick at that point

Kyle
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears

post #4 of 12 Old 12-21-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
klb67pgh

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptorino68 View Post
The JL wheels are 5x5.5
You will need adapters. They will likely be 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick at that point
Everything I have found online says the JK and JL have the same 5x5 lug pattern. I do see the JL's have a different stud size of 14mm x 1.5 vs. 1/2 x 20 for JK and WK rims. 1/2 converts to 12.7 mm, so I suppose it's possible that the stud holes in JL rims are too big. But the lug pattern is not an issue.
2005JGC likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-21-2019, 11:02 AM
3Recon
2009 WK 

Hello here is a link to check wheels used and specs. for jeeps and more: https://www.wheel-size.com/
I run 255/70-18 with w/ Black Sahara wheels I purchased with BS Duelers. I did a 2" lift and ended up with a HC 1" after trying 1.5" With the link you'll see the back spacing and stud spacing and size.
Good luck and enjoy
post #6 of 12 Old 01-30-2020, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
klb67pgh

Garage
I finally got my jeep registered and inspected, so I could now put the JL wheels and tires on my WK. I used 1/4 inch titan spacers, and extended thread lug nuts that gave me 9-10 turns by hand, before torquing. I have a slight rub on the passenger front rear portion of the inner fender liner. I plan to look closer at that this weekend and see if I can shift it out of the way, and maybe heat and reshape it. I think the wheels look great and I really want to try to keep the tire size. I don't want a substantial lift, but a leveling lift might be in order.
Attached Thumbnails
20200129_194220[1].jpg   20200129_075911[1].jpg   20200129_080237[1].jpg   20200130_075725[1].jpg   20200130_075611[1].jpg  

post #7 of 12 Old 02-03-2020, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
klb67pgh

Garage
I did the pinch weld mod this weekend. That seems to have resolved any clearance issues I had. I used a heat gun slowly to reform the lower part of the slash shield, and installed one screw towards the bottom on each side to help hold it back. I have a slight gap between the shield and fender on each side from reforming the shield - I may have to play with that to try to get it to close up.

Next up is the hitch mod to fit the full spare. I tried installing it deflated and its close, but I need to do the hitch mod.

I'd like to lift the jeep just a little bit for better fender well clearance. The Rough Country 2" budget lift is probably the most I'd want to do, but I'm concerned even that will be too much for what I need. My wife still needs to be able to get up into this thing, and I have no interest in installing steps. Is there a shorter lift that this available? I'm not seeing it with a google search.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-03-2020, 07:14 PM
Tatonka01
2009 WK 

You could do adjustable Bilstein 5100s set to the middle position ( I think that renders a 1.5 lift) and then look for a similar sized spacer on the back end.

Or

Set the Bilsteins at their low setting (.75 on the front) and just leave the rear alone which would basically level it out some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 Old 02-03-2020, 10:27 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by klb67pgh View Post
I did the pinch weld mod this weekend. That seems to have resolved any clearance issues I had. I used a heat gun slowly to reform the lower part of the slash shield, and installed one screw towards the bottom on each side to help hold it back. I have a slight gap between the shield and fender on each side from reforming the shield - I may have to play with that to try to get it to close up.

Next up is the hitch mod to fit the full spare. I tried installing it deflated and its close, but I need to do the hitch mod.

I'd like to lift the jeep just a little bit for better fender well clearance. The Rough Country 2" budget lift is probably the most I'd want to do, but I'm concerned even that will be too much for what I need. My wife still needs to be able to get up into this thing, and I have no interest in installing steps. Is there a shorter lift that this available? I'm not seeing it with a google search.
I think the easiest solution to the problems you are facing is find a taller wife?! That or maybe... when my grandma came to visit, we had a step stool that helped her get up into our 15 passenger van. It was really nothing to help her up and throw the step stool behind her seat. So many better options for getting the better half up into the jeep than getting big tires to fit and operate like stock with the jeep at ground level

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #10 of 12 Old 02-05-2020, 03:10 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

Ahhh changing wives can get expensive lol!
2005JGC likes this.

2017 JK Unlimited Sport 6 spd
2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #11 of 12 Old 02-10-2020, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
klb67pgh

Garage
A new wife would definitely be the most expensive option.

I'm driving the jeep with no rubbing issues. Looking forward to getting it a bit more off road and make sure that stays the same.

It took a few days but the TPMS sensors are not reading and I'm getting the flashing warning light that eventually goes solid. I stopped at the dealership this morning and the service manager says he doubts the 2009 system will read 2018 sensors. I asked if I had put different 2009 wheels on would the system have to be reprogrammed. He said it should recognize new sensors without doing anything, but sometimes they have to be reprogrammed. Can anybody confirm if that's true? I might spend the 50 bucks to reprogram and see if that works. It's not worth it to take out my old sensors and install them in these wheels - that would obviously be the certain fix. Or I may ignore the TPMS light.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-10-2020, 10:37 AM
toxic0n
2005 WK 

Your 2009 should use the 433Mhz frequency, same as the 2018 JL so if it's not auto learning, it may be worth it to take a chance to do a reprogram. But I would personally just swap the old sensors to the new wheels, it can't be that much more, maybe 25 per tire?

From http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_tpms.htm

Quote:
The TPM system operates on either a 315MHz radio frequency (2005-2007 Grand Cherokee) or a 433MHz frequency (2008-2009 Grand Cherokee). All 2005-2009 export models use 433MHz. Starting with the 2008 model year, many domestic vehicles switched to the 433MHz frequency. These vehicles are the Grand Cherokee, Commander, 300C, Charger, Challenger, minivans, and the new 2009 Journey.

The 315MHz sensors will not work in the 433MHz system, and will cause a system malfunction warning in the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. Also, the dealer TPM/RKE Analyzer tool will not read the sensors if set to the improper year. It is very important to be sure to use the correct part number when replacing sensors, and to set the TPM/RKE Analyzer tool to the proper vehicle and model year.
Using an RF signal, each sensor transmits tire pressure data approximately once every minute. Each sensor's (transmitter) broadcast is uniquely coded so that the wireless control module (WCM) can monitor the state of each of the sensors on the four rotating road wheels. The WCM automatically learns and stores the sensor's ID while driving after a sensor has been replaced. There is no formal retraining procedure necessary.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in