WK Fuel Tank Skid Plate - please help clarify - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-19-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Atrus_SS
2007 KJ Liberty 

WK Fuel Tank Skid Plate - please help clarify

Hey JFers -

I am a little confused on factory skid plates. I'd like to add some to my new-to-me very base 2008 WK Laredo...this this is almost as base as you can get - options are 4.7L and floor mats, that's it.

So, I know I need the engine and transfer case skid - those seem readily available and cheap enough through MOPAR.

I am a little confused with the gas tank skid. My understanding is that all WKs come with a metal cradle that holds the gas tank in and provides a little light duty protection. Some of the more off-road equipped WKs came with a more heavy duty skid plate. Is that correct?

Does anyone have the part number of the beefier skid? I am looking online for one, but it's tough to tell whether it's the standard "light duty" cradle or the beefier skid plate being sold.

Also, is it safe to assume that if a WK has tow hooks it has the beefier skid? There's a WK at the local pick-n-pull that I got tow hooks off of this weekend. I assume this vehicle doesn't have the beefier skid as it looked relatively thin (it was actually bent a little) and it didn't have engine or transfer case skids on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-19-2018, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Atrus_SS
2007 KJ Liberty 

By the way, realized this is my first post! I've been a long time lurker. Had a 2007 Liberty that I bought new and eventually sold in 2014. I was more active on KJ Country, but would come here for "archived" resources when needed.

It was lifted with OME MDs. Loved that thing as it was a Sport, but had Selec-Trac, tow package, and offroad package - full skids!

I am now looking to build my WK up similarly
post #3 of 4 Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 AM
underscore
2007 WK 

The thicker skid plate has extra bits at the front for the rear of the tcase skid to anchor to. You can see the two little silver bolts in this picture:

As for buying them new, jparts had the best pricing I could find when I bought mine.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]

post #4 of 4 Old 02-19-2018, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Atrus_SS
2007 KJ Liberty 

Oh, I see! Thank you very much! I'll check out the local yard next time I am there, but I am assuming I'll just have to order new.

I am a Chrysler employee, so I get a significant discount at the stealership, but often the prices are so inflated I wouldn't be surprised if JParts was cheaper.

I appreciate the head's up! At least I know what I am looking for now. That graphic helps too - I can see where the 4X Belly Skid would be useful too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in