WK fuel tank skid plate - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By acabtp

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-28-2020, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
WKMike08$

WK fuel tank skid plate

Ive got an 08' WK with the 5.7 Hemi. I have contacted everyone i can possibly think of to try and get a fuel tank skid plate. I have found nothing aftermarket what so ever. I have tried the simple things like Googe, Ebay, Craigslist, i tried Dorman, Goliath and every junkyard i can think of. The only one who has a skid plate is the Dealer and they want around $750.00. Is their anyone who knows if there are any option, does anyone know someone who could possibly manufacture one? Thanks, Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-29-2020, 11:01 AM
Armor_LG
2010 WK 

I have on sitting in my garage in Ohio. But it's too big of a pain in the *** to ship. If you feel like swinging by and picking it up for a much more reasonable price, shoot me a message.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129...plate-4399613/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Limited X
post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2021, 01:04 PM
dudesqueak
2008 WK 

I just found a Dorman skid plate with hardware for $200 shipped on eBay. This seems by far to be the best deal I've found yet. The part number is 999-901. I think it'll fit all 2005-2010 Grand Cherokees and Commanders.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-13-2021, 08:25 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
car-parts.com

Look up a gas tank for a WK (05-10) Grand Cherokee then find the closest junkyard with a gas tank and call them up and see what they would sell the skid plate for. There were 72 pages of gas tanks that popped up nationally so there are LOTS out there. Find one from a QDII hemi and you might be able to get one that has the transfer case skid plate with it! To clarify (not that it matters), the transfer case skid plate requires the upgraded factory skid plates (additional layer of steel) and the gas tank skid plate extends out to the front to allow the transfer case skid plate to bolt to it. Either one will work just fine for you and you don't need the tcase skid plate even if you get the fuel tank skid plate designed for it. Just letting you know what's out there.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #5 of 7 Old 06-14-2021, 05:24 AM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
52090274AF
summit 479.99
factorychryslerparts.com 481.85
rockauto 479.89

i just bought one a month ago, for less than any of those prices, from the dealer. had to special order it in and everything, took about a week to arrive. did you actually go to the parts department and ask for a quote on it? you might be surprised. if your dealer really does want $750 for it (more than list price) they are ****ty and you should go elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
car-parts.com

Look up a gas tank for a WK (05-10) Grand Cherokee then find the closest junkyard with a gas tank and call them up and see what they would sell the skid plate for...
certainly worth a shot, but if the OP needs a new one, it's presumably rusted away (as they do)... the ones in the yards worth driving to will probably be as bad or worse. at least that was the situation around here.
2005JGC likes this.

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2021, 10:54 AM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
certainly worth a shot, but if the OP needs a new one, it's presumably rusted away (as they do)... the ones in the yards worth driving to will probably be as bad or worse. at least that was the situation around here.
For sure. Ultimately my real suggestion for a long term repair would be to move hahaha. No rust here and unless I happen upon a wk from salty areas that moved here or was purchased at auction from out of state. I have my pick of the litter!

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #7 of 7 Old 06-15-2021, 01:38 PM
Vertisce21

The stock one is pretty damned durable. Got a nice little dent in mine from a recent trip and I am very glad it was there. I think I will have to take mine off, clean it, remove the dents, respray it and put it back up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in