1Likes
  • 1 Post By manderson

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-10-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
manderson
2008 WK 

Garage
WK CRD axle swap questions

Hi all, I am getting ready to swap out the axles for 3.07 gears in my CRD. I've got the axles and the instal lined up but I am concerned with the computer side of it. My local dealership in Lansing Michigan is willing to give it a shot but they wont guarantee being able to successfully change the ratio in the computer and flashing the transmission to relearn the new gear ratio. Is there anything else that needs to be done on the computer side of it? The dealership wants to charge me $115 just to try it so I want to make sure I know everything that needs to be done before handing over my money. I'd rather not go through the dealership but don't see another way around it without making the drive down to CB-Engineering which I don't have the free time for right now. Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 05:21 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

I'm in Grand Rapids; I have the SuperLift/AVE EGR module that can change the gear ratio to 3.73 or 4.10 as well as change the tire size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 06:04 AM
johnsquared
2008 WK 

Garage
Iím in GR also and getting ready to do the exact same thing. Just picked up a front diff and rear axle from a junkyard last week & need to get them all cleaned up, check seals, etc... but Iím getting antsy about the reprogram too.

There are a couple other threads Iíve been reading through on this forum with some decent points for consideration.... user by the name of ďimnottedĒ was going to try a software tool called Appcar DiagFCA which looked pretty promising, but he got tied up with some other stuff before actually using it.
Hereís the thread
http://Programming Gear Change - WK ...3&share_type=t

It looks promising and seems like it has a lot of other pretty useful capabilities. Only $49 too, plus the cost of a good OBD dongle ($50-$100). If someone had tried it and had success Iíd jump all over that because Iíd rather spend $150 on a tool than on a dealer service... but Iím not sure I have the guts to do it blind....

Anyhow, if you wind up rolling the dice on the dealership Iím really interested in how it goes. Lansing is an easy trailer ride from where Iím at, so I might drag mine over there to do the same thing when Iím ready if yours turns out ok. The one dealer Iíve mentioned it to over here wasnít very interested in helping me out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

'08 Grand Cherokee
(Oo)[||||||](oO)
Laredo CRD

post #4 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

I have played the obd adapter game a lot, rolled many a dice on cheap ones, i finally smartened up and bought the OBDLink MX+ for $89 CDN.

I have tried 2 different phone apps, AlfaOBD (did not work for me) and Jscan (jeep scan) and that did work. i changed my tire size to 32 inch on my jeep, i do see the gear change option there as well. i also turned off the tpms system on my wifes jeep, and enabled the tap to flash the turn signals 3 times feature.

Very happy with this combo and works every time.

Quick edit:

Jscan was also able to connect to the FDCM, Alfa does not even list it. go to jscan.net and see before spending on something that can just do tire and gear change.

2008.5 WK CRD, 2005 WK Limited 5.7
post #5 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
manderson
2008 WK 

Garage
ggrassmid, does the superlift programmer also offer 3.07 for a gear choice? I thought I've read somewhere that the superlift programmer doesn't work with our diesels. At least when it comes to gear changes.

johnsquared, having dealt with this dealership in the past I have a feeling they wont be contacting me, the customer service is awful and I'd rather not spend my money there anyways but as you know our options are limited. I will keep pushing them to see if I can at least figure out if it can be done with the DRB III tool that they said they can do it with. I do have another option though, I can rent that same DRB scanner for $150-$200 for 3-5 days (https://www.controllertech.com/products/drb-iii-rental). The jeep tech I spoke with was saying that scanner is the one we would need for all of this but renting it with no experience and no guarantee is also a risk. I plan on picking my axles up and getting them ready to go in the next week or two and having them installed shortly after so either way I am gonna be rolling the dice on one of those options shortly here.

Edit: the Appcar DiagFca does look promising, I just emailed there sales staff to see if we can get a guarantee on whether or not it will be able to change the gear ratio on our jeeps. I would much rather own a nice scanner with software to change around some things then rent one or even worse have to deal with the dealership.
ggrassmid likes this.

Last edited by manderson; 06-11-2019 at 12:17 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 12:27 PM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

I does not offer a 3.07 gear choice, only 3.73 and 4.10. I used it to change my tire size, but do not keep it plugged in since I do not have the SL.
I do have Qd2, so keeping at 3.73 worked for me. I have used it to change tire sizes on several other WKs as well.

My next choice from some other readings is the Appcar software.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 02:41 PM
viking427

There has been much discussion over the years on the 3.07 gears for the WK CRD and unless there has been some new developments in the programming field, the general consensus is;

a) Dealer programmers are required - "StarScan" tool or possibly it's replacement, the Microscan II.
b) as such, only factory offered WK gear ratios can be programmed in - 3.73, 3.42 (Europe only), 3.07 (3.7L gas WK axles).
c) The CRD's W5J400 requires a "flash & relearn" ..also known as an "EGS 53 TCM relearn" to accept the 3.07 ratio.

I do hope there have been new developments, that are more readily available, cost less, and are a complete solution (no "side effects").

The speedometer will need to be re-calibrated as well.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
manderson
2008 WK 

Garage
manderson

I've got good news to start the day. I recently emailed the Appcar DiagFCA support team about the gear ratio change and they confirmed it is something that can be done with there software, they also sent over pictures of the software in action as proof. I'm still waiting for a response on the EGS 53 TCM relearn but I don't see why the software wouldn't support that if it can do the gear ratio change. If everything works out I'd gladly spend the $80 on the software and ScanTool usb cable so I can get this project started.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson View Post
I've got good news to start the day. I recently emailed the Appcar DiagFCA support team about the gear ratio change and they confirmed it is something that can be done with there software, they also sent over pictures of the software in action as proof. I'm still waiting for a response on the EGS 53 TCM relearn but I don't see why the software wouldn't support that if it can do the gear ratio change. If everything works out I'd gladly spend the $80 on the software and ScanTool usb cable so I can get this project started.
the jscan app can do the EGS 53 TCM relearn, so i would be willing to bet Appcar can as well.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
manderson
2008 WK 

Garage
With finding that out I just downloaded Jscan and will be purchasing Appcar DiagFCA to use as a combo to get the job done myself. On Monday I'll be picking up my rear axle, front carrier assembly, and a plastic gas tank. All I need now is a little bit of free time and I'll get this going
post #11 of 11 Old 06-14-2019, 12:02 PM
Grinmaul
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson View Post
With finding that out I just downloaded Jscan and will be purchasing Appcar DiagFCA to use as a combo to get the job done myself. On Monday I'll be picking up my rear axle, front carrier assembly, and a plastic gas tank. All I need now is a little bit of free time and I'll get this going
Update with results i would be interested.

What axles did you get? is it still a Dana 44?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in