WK anyone drive with rear glass open? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-14-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Tatonka01
2009 WK 

WK anyone drive with rear glass open?

Just bought my 09í WK and did not even realize that the rear glass could open independently of the hatch till I found it today. I used to have an old 4runner with rear glass that slid down and my dog loved to sit looking out the back while we traveled. Is anyone here driving with that glass panel open? Any issues with doing so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-14-2019, 08:30 PM
nvrdone1
2007 WK 

ive done it hauling lumber that was too long to fit inside. so far no problems but I worry about the wind blowing it closed and busting the glass. I usually use a bungie chord to hold the glass down when needed. you will get a notice on the display that rear glass is open
post #3 of 12 Old 09-14-2019, 11:08 PM
08WK7180

2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone1 View Post
ive done it hauling lumber...
X2. For me I don't like the exhaust fumes from my CRD if my dog is the back. Otherwise it's like nvrdone says, no big problems if you think about securing it from slamming.

All stock 08 GC Laredo CRD except for swirl motor resistor mod

post #4 of 12 Old 09-15-2019, 01:43 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
I dont know what the air flow looks like back there with the window open, I know rigs with a roll down window have specific warnings about driving with the window open because the way the air moves behind the vehicle it actually draws exhaust up into the cabin of the vehicle.

I would sugget making sure you have other windows open if you do it to make sure you are getting fresh air circulated through the cabin and go for it! Make sure you have some good strong struts though, I would think there is potential of the glass breaking if it can move around and is tugged slung to the limit of the struts.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #5 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 06:33 AM
acabtp
2005 WK 

Garage
i tried it one time when i had some lumber sticking out the back. even with new lift struts, it came slamming down by itself on the way home, dunno if it was a gust of wind or what. but, glad that it didn't shatter, i now use a ratchet strap to hold it down when i have long cargo sticking out the back and am going highway speeds. it's probably fine around town or in the woods.

'05 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
post #6 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 11:15 AM
colinzj
2006 WK 

Exhaust fumes may come in (same as your 4Runner), you'll get a warning about it being open every time you come to a stop, and you'll have to disable the interior lights, but it's a usable option as long as your lift struts are in good shape (or you tie it down to an in-between position).

2006 WK Laredo 4x4 4.7L
1993 ZJ Laredo 4x4 4.0L ó Dead, sold, and rolling again
post #7 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 01:18 PM
2005JGC

2005 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzj View Post
Exhaust fumes may come in (same as your 4Runner), you'll get a warning about it being open every time you come to a stop, and you'll have to disable the interior lights, but it's a usable option as long as your lift struts are in good shape (or you tie it down to an in-between position).
You can latch the latch with your finger and it should avoid the warnings. The caveat with that is that if the lift gate does close while your driving it will slam down on the closed latch which could be quite jarring on the glass.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Work in progress...
post #8 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 04:51 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

If it's going to be open I'd want it supported on both sides and not just flopping around on the struts. I know 4Runner guys change to a side dump exhaust tip so you may want to do the same as well.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #9 of 12 Old 09-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Walt
2008 WK 

The rear is a low-pressure air flow area, so exhaust fumes (unburned fuel, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and oxides of nitrogen) are being sucked back into the cabin (and your dog). A stock WK exhaust (non-SRT) already comes out at the rear corner.

Look at the accumulation inside the tailpipe and decide if you (and the dog) want to breathe it.

Recommend you close the liftgate glass and open a rear door window enough for the dog to stick its nose out and enjoy the trip.

I've had the rear liftgate glass unlatched for a short trip with extra-long lumber also. Tied the glass down to avoid any possibility of impact loading on the glass, hinges, or struts.

HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-18-2019, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Tatonka01
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
The rear is a low-pressure air flow area, so exhaust fumes (unburned fuel, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and oxides of nitrogen) are being sucked back into the cabin (and your dog). A stock WK exhaust (non-SRT) already comes out at the rear corner.

Look at the accumulation inside the tailpipe and decide if you (and the dog) want to breathe it.

Recommend you close the liftgate glass and open a rear door window enough for the dog to stick its nose out and enjoy the trip.

I've had the rear liftgate glass unlatched for a short trip with extra-long lumber also. Tied the glass down to avoid any possibility of impact loading on the glass, hinges, or struts.

When I drive with the rear glass open I usually have all of the door windows open as well. Iíve been assuming that the flow through would keep fumes from coming back in?

Triggering the latch with my finger as suggested above mitigated the lights and warnings (thanks!) and...

I found an old set of strut clamps that I had purchased a long time ago for a TJ hardtop that I have since sold. They lock onto the strut in the open position such that it canít close.

Pretty happy with the setup. Thanks for the suggestions! Now on to sorting out the suspension lift.

post #11 of 12 Old 09-18-2019, 10:53 PM
underscore
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
A stock WK exhaust (non-SRT) already comes out at the rear corner.

This is what I mean by side dump exhaust. Stock the 4Runner comes out in the same spot as the WK but changing to this apparently prevents (or at least reduces) the fumes coming in.

07 WK CRD//QDII//OME MD//OMG WTF BBQ [daily]
91 Celica GTFour RC [for sale]
post #12 of 12 Old 09-19-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Tatonka01
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
This is what I mean by side dump exhaust. Stock the 4Runner comes out in the same spot as the WK but changing to this apparently prevents (or at least reduces) the fumes coming in.

Good to know. Might mess with seeing what it would take to get to that. Doesnít look like it would be difficult.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in